Subject: MAX Digest - 19 Dec 1999 to 20 Dec 1999 (#1999-363)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 00:00:13 -0500
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. csound/MSP
  2. "Talking Stick"
  3. unauthorized MAX
  4. msp/mp3
  5. Knock around the clock
  6. expensive buffer~ object (2)
  7. SMPTE in from MTPII
  8. ICMC Submission Deadlines [Resend]
  9. serial object/servo motors

Date:Mon, 20 Dec 1999 01:15:27 EST
From:Eric Lyon <Eric.Lyon@DARTMOUTH.EDU>
Subject: csound/MSP

A Csound MSP object which translates orc code into working Max/MSP =
patches would be most exciting. Many types of DSP configurations =
can be prototyped much faster in Csound than in mouse-laden MSP. =
Using Csound as a translation language to MSP also facilitates =
algorithmically generated MSP patches - serious fun.=20

Eric

---
Richard B wrote:
Forgive me... this is not exactly a Max/MSP thing... but it could =
be.

My good friend David Zicarelli did tell me a while back the he =
would like to
make a Csound object for msp (maybe in 2000 David?)

Also, many of you have used max/msp to generate
Csound note-lists or control real-time Csound.
--- end of quote ---

Date:Sun, 19 Dec 1999 18:49:22 +0100
From:Michael Wieser <m.k.w@MAGNET.AT>
Subject: Re: "Talking Stick"

Hi!

I`m alsovery interested.
I`m evaluating a System which connects my Midi-box with a much higher speed
then normal Midito a 10baseT LAN. It should be as transparent as possible
to the User.... And it would be great if it could be wireless (bluetooth is
greeting....)
Nato told me they have a TCP/IP-object for MAX but I don`t now how it
works. But we are going to test it in the next months (until march it has
to be ready...).

>> The stick is freestanding and controls the
>> max patch via wireless midi.
>wireless midi ?
>tell us more, please !
>wolf

Michael Wieser
m.k.w@magnet.at

Service and Audiodesign

Date:Mon, 20 Dec 1999 02:12:48 -0500
From:deKam <johnny@NODE.NET>
Subject: unauthorized MAX

I'm happy to announce a parallel MAX discussion list hosted by node.net
It is an extension of UnMax "Unauthorized Max" which most of you are already
familiar. It is intended to provide a space for wider discussion of issues,
theory and broader discussion of electronic arts (with Max/MSP of course,
but not limited to it... rather than straight nuts + bolts MAX-L.

to quote a friend, "Interactive Music/Massively Parallel Environments"

the list is uncensored
the list is unmoderated

i invite you to subscribe and post freely

to subscribe, please visit http://node.net/

-- deKam

ps you will find node.net is looking very different - unmax will soon also
be updated and reorganized.

___ ________________ _ __ _ _________ . ___ __________ ____

| interface css meditations

new releases| quincunx.mov

| equillibrium.mov

Date:Mon, 20 Dec 1999 08:24:08 +0100
From:krl <kliem@MESO.NET>
Subject: msp/mp3

hello. any news concerning mp3 within msp?

regards, krl.

Date:Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:57:48 +0100
From:Jeffrey Burns <jeff@BERLIN.SNAFU.DE>
Subject: Knock around the clock

Nich Rothwell wrote:

>I use an old R-8II drum machine as clock source, even when it's not
>generating any audio. The clocking is more accurate than MAX's
>internal, and I prefer the ergonomics of doing bar positioning, stop
>and start using a box with real buttons.

The more you write, the greater my appetite for native versions of
your bar-positioning objects, which you referred to some time ago. My
wish is to do real-time or instantaneous composition in Max, write
the compositions as MIDI files to disc and immediately open them in
Overture as scores approximately every ten seconds. The scores should
include bar lines, meters, and even tempo/metronome indications, if
possible. Does your object do that?

BTW what presently available hardware do you recommend that will act
as a clock source?

thanks

Jeff Burns

Date:Mon, 20 Dec 1999 16:28:23 +0100
From:oliver <stotz@RHIZ.ORG>
Subject: expensive buffer~ object

I just discovered that the buffer~ object always takes double the ram for a
soundfile than it would need considering the channels. that is, a
stereofile loaded into a stereo buffer~ takes the capacity of a 4-channel
soundfile , and a mono soundfile into a mono buffer~ takes the memory of a
stereo-file. (i.e. a mono-file which has 3 MB takes 6 MB ram in msp using a
monobuffer~). reducing the soundfile to 8-bit doesn't help either, it seems
like the monobuffer~ reserves the memory for a stereo, 16-bit, 44,1 kHz
soundfile, no matter what the actual file is.
not only that this is a very unpleasant waste of ram, it also makes it very
hard for computers like mine which has a maximum of 64 MB ram to load a
useful amount of sounds for longer performances.
Are there any updates to that object or some other debugging suggestions ?

Date:Mon, 20 Dec 1999 10:17:55 -0800
From:Alex Stahl <alex@PIXAR.COM>
Subject: Re: expensive buffer~ object

>it seems
like the monobuffer~ reserves the memory for a stereo, 16-bit, 44,1 kHz
soundfile, no matter what the actual file is.

MSP uses floating point samples internally, which do eat up 32 bits per sample per channel.
This is true for all objects, not just buffer~.

-Alex S.

Date:Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:25:18 -0500
From:Jakob Draminsky Hojmark <101710.2145@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject: SMPTE in from MTPII

Hi list

How do I get SMPTE from a MTP II in MAX?

I trying to get the SMPTE from my old MTPII in to MAX 3.5.9 running on a
PB/G3/300 with system OS 8.6 and OMS 2.3.6. Asking MOTU I was told to download
latest version of Free MIDI and Clockworks which I did, but I still don't get
anything in through the "timein" object.
Can anybody tell me what I'll need and where to place it?

Thanks
Jakob Draminsky Hojmark
101710.2145@compuserve.com

Date:Mon, 20 Dec 1999 19:32:57 +0100
From:Peter Castine <pcastine@PRZ.TU-BERLIN.DE>
Subject: ICMC Submission Deadlines [Resend]

Dear Colleagues,

The ICMC 2000 Organization Committee announces herewith that the
Submission Deadlines for Musical Works (including Compositions and
Installations) and for Papers (including Posters, Demos, and Studio
Reports) have been extended to:

January 15, 2000 (postmark) for Musical Works
January 15, 2000 (e-mail timestamp) for Papers

We hope that this extension will allow more people to submit their work
for consideration.

We would also like to thank all those who have already submitted
contributions.

We are working to a very tight schedule for both the scientific and
artistic jury processes, so get those submissions in as soon as you can!

Submission forms and instructions are at the ICMC 2000 WWW Site. Please
see

<http://www.icmc2000.org/participation/index.html>
<http://www.icmc2000.org/participation/papers.html>

The deadline information at the Web Site may not be updated for another
few hours. Rest assured that the Jan. 15 deadline is authoritative.

Your friendly ICMC 2000 Conference Chair,
Peter Castine

PS: Your address was included in the distribution list for this message
in good faith that it will be of interest to you. If this is not the
case, please accept my apologies and disregard this mail. I also
apologize if you receive multiple copies: invariably some people will
read this twice, and some never at all...

PPS: Dear List Moderator... if this message is not posted to your list
because I am not a subscriber, would you please consider forwarding it
anyway? Perhaps this is the only second ICMC 2000 submission deadline
update your list has seen?

----------------- http://www.prz.tu-berlin.de/~pcastine/-----------------
Dr. Peter Castine| The World-Wide Web Site of the 26th
4-15 Music & Technology| International Computer Music Conference is
| now on-line! <http://www.icmc2000.org/>

NB: You may notice that I am sending from a new account. There have
recently been difficulties with sending from my account at the PRZ.
I still receive mail from the PRZ account as well as the new one at
GMX (not to mention {webmaster|info}@icmc2000.org) .
There is, as yet, no need to update your address book.

Date:Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:24:50 PST
From:"A. Scott Piccotti" <differencetone@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject: Re: serial object/servo motors

>I'd like to drive a servomotor controller using an iMac. Does anyone
>have experience using the serial object with one of those cheap USB to
>Serial cables? Does it work? Are there better solutions to this problem?

You may want to ask a few of the kind folks at MacAddict Magazine
(www.macaddict.com). They've been building an iBook-brained, web-controlled
office roaming robot, and have been working with similar devices. They're
using an ADB I/O and a usb/adb adapter to control the servos that drive the
'bot. May be something worth looking into.

Oh, and also-

>Hearing the Mac startup chord louder than you've ever heard it before.

I've missed out on that one so far. But toward the end of the performance of
my senior project, my audience was treated to the loudest Wild Eep known to
man. (Note to self: turn system alert sounds OFF!)
______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

End of MAX Digest - 19 Dec 1999 to 20 Dec 1999 (#1999-363)
**********************************************************