Subject: MAX Digest - 16 Dec 1999 to 17 Dec 1999 (#1999-360)
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 00:00:28 -0500
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. Writing applications with Max (2)
  2. Talking Stick
  3. Serial Object and USB
  4. experimental input devices
  5. Please help! Where to buy Max 3.5 now?

Date:Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:55:24 -0500
From:Stephen Kay <sk@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject: Writing applications with Max

Peter Elsea said (on 12/8/99):

> Most of us old timers have gone in a gradual transition through the
> 1. Using Max in simple ways for simple problems
> 2. Building horribly complex Max patchers for personal solutions to tou=
gh
> problems
> 3. Learning to write external objects because iter doesn't do floats (o=
r
> whatever bugs you)
> 4. Building applications that are a Max shell around a horribly complex=

> external object
> 5. Building applications with Powerplant* and OMS because the OMS API
isn't
> all that different from what you had to learn for stage 3 anyway.
> 6. Using Max to prototype applications that are then turned into
> Powerplant/OMS projects.
> 7. Using Max in simple ways for simple problems.

I didn't respond to this at the time, but was cleaning out my In Box, and=

I had to comment.

This is beautiful! It so closely resembles my own path that I had to hav=
e
a good laugh. And on an airplane, no less. People next to me thought
I was weird, but that often happens. Go figure.

Newcomers to Max, take note. This may happen to YOU.

Stephen Kay

Date:Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:25:35 +0100
From:Sukandar Kartadinata <sk@ZKM.DE>
Subject: Re: Talking Stick

>>wireless midi ?
>tell us more, please !

>we looked around at commercial wireless midi systems and i could only find
>one that was made by midiman (?) and had been discontinued . This with the
>popularity of midi surprised me and i suspect that there probably is other
>stuff hiding out there. It seemed on a web survey
to be in the domain of
>useres of yamaha style midi wind instrument controllers.
>I was not heavily involved in the radio side of things but essentially a
>PIC microcontroller converted the sensor information from the stick and
>then formatted the information with some encoded error checking

yep, exact same story here
couldn't believe it that there's no wireless MIDI readily available
so I've been using PICs, too, with Abacom radio modules, but my error
checking needs improvement, and I'm doing it half-duplex.
there's at least one more project that has gone the same way (some
student's project supervised by Eduardo Miranda if my memory's right)

wireless sounds so convenient, but developing with it is a major hassle if
your not familiar with HF. Those modules make it look like you don't have
to worry about it, but in the end you find yourself chasing interference
and grounding problems.

apart from the MIDIman there's other discontinued stuff, like from Aquila,
but that's hardly helpful, except if you want to look for used gear maybe

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sukandar Kartadinata
Custom Technology for the Arts
Hagenauerstr. 6, 10435 Berlin, +49-30-44051219
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Date:Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:11:09 -0400
From:"David Z. Saltz" <saltz@ARCHES.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Serial Object and USB

I'd like to drive a servomotor controller using an iMac. Does anyone
have experience using the serial object with one of those cheap USB to
Serial cables? Does it work? Are there better solutions to this problem?
I already have a USB Midiman interface and an iCube, and so I can easily
drive regular motors, but I don't think that setup will give me the
fine-grained control I need over the motors. (In any case I need to
control 9 motors and the iCube has only 8 outputs.)

Thanks,

David

Date:Fri, 17 Dec 1999 21:21:58 -0000
From:Nick Rothwell <nick@CASSIEL.COM>
Subject: Re: experimental input devices

>I think there are problably a lot of people on this list who would be
> interested in hearing about controller solutions people have developed.
> Linear motion converters, drawing tablets, wireless midi, ultrasonic
> devices, and other experimental approaches.

I've been using a Buchla Thunder touch-sensitive MIDI controller for a

while. The onboard firmware is rather antiquated (the machine dates
from 1990) so I have a pile of MAX code turning the incoming MIDI into
something clean and symbolic.

>i am personally interested in ways of converting kinetic motion
> to midi. Somehow measuring the speed or tempo of a group of people,
> and converting it into usable data.

You should probably be talking to the dance-tech list. (The list
address is dance-tech@lists.acs.ohio-state.edu, so I guess there's a
list server for it. I don't have the list's home page URL to hand at
present.)

Nick RothwellCassiel.com Limited
nick@cassiel.comwww.cassiel.com
systems - composition - installation - performance

Date:Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:50:30 -0700
From:Alex Stahl <alex@PIXAR.COM>
Subject: Re: Writing applications with Max

I think Peter omitted some steps:

Interfacing a [high-res, 3D, wireless, wearable] sensor with Max to let the
dancers play the music.
Realizing that a lot of musicians don't know how to dance either.
Using Max to pan every channel around the hall in circles all at once.
Deciding that mono has its place.
Using Max to automate your entire equipment rack.
Learning to tell jokes and click dialog boxes at the same time in front of
an audience.
Asking the max-list if anyone else has ever thought of building dedicated
Max hardware.
Wondering if responses such as "0+1 ecs!tz != akmpl!shd" are valid patcher
syntax, or what.
Hearing the Mac startup chord louder than you've ever heard it before.

-Alex S.

>Peter Elsea said (on 12/8/99):
>> Most of us old timers have gone in a gradual transition through the
>> 1. Using Max in simple ways for simple problems
>> 2. Building horribly complex Max patchers for personal solutions to tough
>> problems
>> 3. Learning to write external objects because iter doesn't do floats (or
>> whatever bugs you)
>> 4. Building applications that are a Max shell around a horribly complex
>> external object
>> 5. Building applications with Powerplant* and OMS because the OMS API
>isn't
>> all that different from what you had to learn for stage 3 anyway.
>> 6. Using Max to prototype applications that are then turned into
>> Powerplant/OMS projects.
>> 7. Using Max in simple ways for simple problems.
>I didn't respond to this at the time, but was cleaning out my In Box, and
>I had to comment.
>This is beautiful! It so closely resembles my own path that I had to have
>a good laugh. And on an airplane, no less. People next to me thought

>I was weird, but that often happens. Go figure.
>Newcomers to Max, take note. This may happen to YOU.
>Stephen Kay

Date:Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:08:59 -0800
From:Benjamin Rogalsky <brogalsk@SFU.CA>
Subject: Please help! Where to buy Max 3.5 now?

Hi everyone. Please advise if you can...

Well I thought I would get a holiday present for myself and finally
upgrade from 2.5.2 to 3.5.x, and start translating my csound code to MSP.
BUT, Opcode's website no longer has the $99 upgrade offer that I saw there
about a month ago, as far as I can see, AND the local dealer tells me
they, like many, are a dealer no more for Opcode for reasons we're all
aware of.

I know I can buy 3.5 from David Z., but as I remember there was no $99
upgrade deal from Cycling 74, and the prospect of paying full price is
pretty disappointing.

Please help if you can:

#P question 1 0 0 ...

Where can I get the upgrade price still?

#P question 2 0 0 ...

Is there a web download of 3.5 (with challenge response copy
protection - I heard a rumour this was coming...true?) so I can start
using it right away without the agonizing wait for floppies to arrive in
the Xmas rush mail?

If anybody at all can help, I'd really appreciate it.
Ben

End of MAX Digest - 16 Dec 1999 to 17 Dec 1999 (#1999-360)
**********************************************************