Subject: MAX Digest - 11 Dec 1999 to 12 Dec 1999 (#1999-355)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 00:00:12 -0500
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. max in pop culture.. (3)
  2. Max/MSP and Touch-tones
  3. MAX Digest - 10 Dec 1999 to 11 Dec 1999 (#1999-354) (2)
  4. DTMF and touch tone decoder
  5. Saving Presets in an App
  6. Max/MSP and Touchtones
  7. tracking vocoder
  8. Midi Sync and Lib Scripts

Date:Sat, 11 Dec 1999 21:49:03 -0800
From:dudas <dudas@CNMAT.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject: Re: max in pop culture..

jim o writes:
>was thinking of where else max/msp has wheedled it's way in...

Laurie Anderson's current work "Songs and stories from Moby Dick" uses Max
as part of the setup for the "Talking Stick" granular synthesis instrument.
(Though not MSP as far as I could tell from the article I read.)

-Xo

Date:Sun, 12 Dec 1999 10:40:28 +0100
From:Peter Swinnen <peter.swinnen@PING.BE>
Subject: Re: Max/MSP and Touch-tones

Dear Maxers,

Les Stuck wrote:

> p.s.
> could someone post a pointer to peter swinnen's "phonedecoder" object?

You could take a look on my website (see my signature below), under the Software
section.

Happy Maxing,
Peter Swinnen
-----
Composer(from Belgium)
mailto:peter.swinnen@ping.be

Date:Sun, 12 Dec 1999 13:34:38 +0000
From:Jago <jago@BTINTERNET.COM>
Subject: Re: MAX Digest - 10 Dec 1999 to 11 Dec 1999 (#1999-354)

> ------------------------------
> Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 01:30:08 -0800
> From:
Les Stuck <les@CYCLING74.COM>
> Subject: Re: Max/MSP and Touch-tones
> p.s.
> could someone post a pointer to peter swinnen's "phonedecoder" object?

It seams there are a number of ways:

"phonedecoder" is at

All you could ever want to know about decoder chips
with links to manufacturers.

Antiorp has some useful information.

Thanks everyone.

Jago

Date:Sun, 12 Dec 1999 16:54:45 +0100
From:Roland Cahen & Ruth Sefton-Green <cahen.sefton.green@WANADOO.FR>
Subject: DTMF and touch tone decoder

>Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 22:49:04 -0600
>From:
Ken Gregory <kgregory@PANGEA.CA>
>Subject: Re: Max/MSP and Touch-tones

I have build a DTMF decoder that works quite well using reson~ in MSP.
the problems are that the more the filter Q is sharp, the slowest it answers.
Else, phones don't have the same volume.

But having it inside MSP is finally a pretty good idea.

Anyway, if someone knows how to program the Goertzel algorithm in Max/MSP
please tell me.
Another very promissing solution is to control a modem, but,
I haven't tried to control the modem thru the serial object and have't
found yet a modem code on the modem instructions to get the touch tones
numbers from my modem into Max.
Any idea?

Roland Cahen

Date:Sun, 12 Dec 1999 12:55:43 -0500
From:Michael Gurevich <mgurev@PO-BOX.MCGILL.CA>
Subject: Saving Presets in an App

Greetings,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a relatively painless way to allow presets
to be saved in a standalone app made from a Max patch with Application
Installer 1.1. My understanding and experience shows that the preset
object lets you save one preset to a file, which makes saving the entire
contents of a preset object (or several preset objects) really ugly and not
really viable. Has anyone come up with an object like preset that can dump

everything to a file? I'd try to undertake it myself but time's a little
short this time of year. Is there something simpler that I'm missing?

Thanks.
later.

Michael

Date:Sun, 12 Dec 1999 13:40:18 -0500
From:Alex Westner <westner@MEDIA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: max in pop culture..

My band is *heavily* dependent on Max!

<shameless plug>
</shameless plug>

-=A
westner@media.mit.edu

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, dudas wrote:

> jim o writes:
> >was thinking of where else max/msp has wheedled it's way in...
> Laurie Anderson's current work "Songs and stories from Moby Dick" uses Max
> as part of the setup for the "Talking Stick" granular synthesis instrument.
> (Though not MSP as far as I could tell from the article I read.)
> -Xo

Date:Sun, 12 Dec 1999 14:40:06 -0500
From:Nick Lloyd <nxlloyd@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject: Re: Max/MSP and Touchtones

As far as getting the signal from a phone into a computer, a guy here in NYC
makes a little box (which I think is a bit overpriced) which connects
between your phone and the mouthpiece/earpiece (what is that thing called
anyway?). It connects by RJ-11 jacks and has a line level output, which he
can configure for you either as bantam jacks or 1/4". It's a great device.
If anyone's interested, e-mail me and I'll dig up his web address.

-Nick
Gretchen's Kitchen
A Multi-Purpose Recording Facility
ph# - 718/623-1660
10 Sterling Place, Brooklyn, NY

Date:Sun, 12 Dec 1999 12:02:03 -0800
From:Peter Nyboer <pnyboer@SLAMBASSADOR.COM>
Subject: Re: MAX Digest - 10 Dec 1999 to 11 Dec 1999 (#1999-354)

I'm too lazy to find where it officially lives, so I stuffit'd it up (say
that 10 times fast) and put it here:
If someone knows a way of getting a cell phone's output into a computer,

that could be very lovely. Imagine the stage possibilites! Find a yuppie,
uh, I mean, modern-communications-enabled volunteer in the audience to give
you a call, and then control the song. It would be a big hit, no doubt. I
can see it now "well, I got a cell phone for emergencies, like if I get
stranded on the highway, and also, there's this really cool band..."
I suppose one could use the venue's house phone, if they were particularly
nice, but that would certainly be a pain to run a phone cable to the stage.

I tried this out once (not with cell phone) because I had to go to a
wedding, but I wanted to participate in a gig with a band I was playing
with. Unfortuately, the last-minute nature of it didn't lend itself to
success. However, some trials actually worked ok. One can extend the
usability of the 12-keys by using "modes"--press "1", and #'s 4-# mean one
thing, press "2", and they mean something else, and, using your highly
trained sense of extrapolation, I'm sure you can figure out what happens
with "3" :)

Peter.

Peter Nyboer
pnyboer@slambassador.com
No Stores. Only One Product. All in one place.

Date:Sun, 12 Dec 1999 16:26:49 -0500
From:luke <luke@WOOF.MUSIC.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Re: max in pop culture..

as long as we're on the shameless plug route:

i use max/msp as my performance interface and for most of my dsp in the
studio when i record with my band, the freight elevator quartet. i used
to carry around a serge modular rig, but now i use a powerbook g3 and a
wacom tablet. lots of fun. no more backaches.

our latest release, if you want to hear max/msp applied to experimental
drum and bass, is called 'file under futurism (dj spooky vs. the freight
elevator quartet)'. it's out on caipirinha music.

maybe there should be a max/msp music compilation?

best.

/luke

--------------------------
R. Luke DuBois
Graduate Teaching / Research Assistant,
Computer Music Center, Columbia University
e-mail: luke@music.columbia.edu
world-wide-waste: http://www.music.columbia.edu/~luke
phone:(212)-854-9266 (cmc - prentis)
(212)-854-7181 (cmc - dodge)
--------------------------

Date:Sun, 12 Dec 1999 18:13:31 +0000
From:Scott Leake <sleake@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: tracking vocoder

I have been playing with some of the FFTE objects and this may be a good
question for Eric Lyon, or Christopher Penrose.

Is a Tracking Phase Vocoder that is capable of doing time stretching
possible to build and run in MSP?

Scott Leake

Date:Tue, 12 Jan 1904 14:38:08 -0800
From:keay <keay@HOOKED.NET>
Subject: Midi Sync and Lib Scripts

Hello all,

Some pretty basic questions this time.

#1,I am trying to sync a patch to an external sequencer via OMS. The
manual talks about setclock and Peter Elsea's patch "MAX&MTC"have info
which speaks to the question, I need something very basic. What I want is
the patch to start when I hit the go button on the sequencer and use the
sequencers timing in beats per minute. I'd like very much to see some good
souls example of a working patch that does this.

#2,I am capturing Sysex bulk dump data from a drum module. I'd like to be
able to use a lib object to format it (a window which shows the patches
etc). However, I don't understand the scripting. Where or how can I get
information on writing the script? I looked at a DX7 script from the
tutorial ( I think). Looks deceptively simple, but may as well be greek
since I'm not real clear on what it is doing. All I'm hoping to accomplish
by doing this is to archive data in the machine. In theory I should be able
to turn around and dump this data back into the drum module?

Thanks much,

keay@hooked.net

End of MAX Digest - 11 Dec 1999 to 12 Dec 1999 (#1999-355)
**********************************************************