Subject: MAX Digest - 30 Nov 1999 to 1 Dec 1999 (#1999-343)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 00:00:17 -0500
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. more usb audio/noisy pb
  2. subdividing an integer?
  3. getting spaces out of symblos
  4. subdividing an integer
  5. crusherX-Live! real-time fog synthesizer
  6. audiowerk8 survival guide
  7. videotracking (2)
  8. G4 Installation problems
  9. MSP + DSP Factory? Audiowerk 2? (2)
  10. MAX and USB compatibility?
  11. Chicago Area Max Users meeting 12/6
  12. jMax or Pd?

Date:Wed, 1 Dec 1999 14:55:49 +1100
From:newton armstrong <newton@HARD.NET.AU>
Subject: more usb audio/noisy pb

roland ua30 looks like a reasonably inexpensive audio solution for noisy
powerbooks. is anybody using it yet?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email server is running an evaluation copy of the MailShield anti-
spam software. Please contact your email administrator if you have any
questions about this message. MailShield product info: www.mailshield.com

Date:Wed, 1 Dec 1999 07:58:21 +0100
From:Sukandar Kartadinata <sk@ZKM.DE>
Subject: Re: subdividing an integer?

>Briefly squinting at Sukandar's solution, I'm wondering if an approach
>that used Peter Elsea's LObjects might not work a bit more smoothly. All
>those Uzis make me a little nervous, but maybe that's just me.

true enough
actually if I were to implement what Steve really had in mind I'd go external
however, I'd be curious to see a Lobject implementation

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sukandar Kartadinata
Custom Technology for the Arts
Hagenauerstr. 6, 10435 Berlin, +49-30-44051219
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Date:Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:15:41 +0100
From:Jeffrey Burns <jeff@BERLIN.SNAFU.DE>
Subject: getting spaces out of symblos

>Prepend the '1 1 10' with any other symbol, then strip it off after outpu=
>t.
>i.e. run '1 1 10' into a prepend symbol, then from the 's'
>output of the trigger, run it through a route symbol. You get back the
>'1 1 10' without a space.
>Stephen Kay
Pretty smart. Do you know how to get rid of the space that a message box
containing append $1 always adds when tacking on symbols to previous
messages?

Jeff Burns

Date:Tue, 30 Nov 1999 23:28:14 -0800
From:Dmitri Tymoczko <tymoczko@UCLINK4.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject: subdividing an integer

>How would I make a simple routine that will allow me make all the
>possible subdivisions of an integer where I specify the number of
>elements in the subdivisions?

Here's a quick-and-dirty solution, but it all depends on how fast you need
it to work, and whether you want to work with very large numbers or not.
If you stick to small enough numbers (10 by 5 maybe?)and if you can do
the calculation in advance -- like at the beginning of a piece -- then this
will probably be fine.

Generate all the possible lists and then go through them to see which ones
add up to the given number. So for 7 divided 3 ways, you get

444
443
442
441
434
433
432
431
... etc.

Write a little routine to generate all these lists. Toss out every list
that doesn't sum up to 7, and store the others in a coll. Then dump the
coll, sort the lists, and discard the duplicates.

On the other hand, if you need to do it on the fly, or if you need to use
large numbers, then your best bet is to write an external object, since the
easiest way to do this kind of thing is by writing a subroutine that can
call itself.

Dmitri

Date:Wed, 1 Dec 1999 09:27:52 +0000
From:david stevens <david@RESONANT.DEMON.CO.UK>
Subject: Re: crusherX-Live! real-time fog synthesizer

save yourselves some connect time - this is Windows only software!

david
> I want to introduce my new shareware programm witch you can use to
> create innovative electronical sounds and rhythms:

Date:Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:57:12 +0100
From:marko kosnik <march@KUD-FP.SI>
Subject: audiowerk8 survival guide

dear louis,
thank you very much for sending me the driver. at the first glance it
looks it works. the happy situation had happened between msp asio driver
created 19/01/99 and the emagic audiowerk8 asio driver version 0.9.3
(dated back in 1998). so i can stay religious. the latest asio driver
from msp, dated 21/10/99 will "overlook" the former of emagic as well as
the latest one, which is version 1.5.6. it looks msp is about to make
the move now.
please.
marko

marko kosnik <march@kud-fp.si>
mirror:

Date:Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:24:49 +0100
From:marko kosnik <march@KUD-FP.SI>
Subject: videotracking

hi mikael,
big eye from steim (www.steim.nl)could be what you are searching for.
cheers,
marko

Date:Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:43:45 -0500
From:Howard Jonathan Fredrics <fredric@UNIX.TAMU.EDU>
Subject: G4 Installation problems

Hi, everyone.

I'm new to the list and have recently made the leap to Max 3.59 from having
used 3.0 for a while.

I just tried to install Max 3.59 on my G4 450 Mhz machine running OS 8.6.
I've found that no matter what I do, the application crashes the computer
upon running it.

Anyone else experience similar G4 nightmares and come up with a solution?

Thanks,
-Howard Fredrics

Date:Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:35:07 -0500
From:Neal Farwell <nfarwell@FAS.HARVARD.EDU>
Subject: Re: MSP + DSP Factory? Audiowerk 2?

Thanks to David Z and jhno for comments on Yamaha DSP Factory and MOTU 2408.

2408 looks good, but I won't have a need for all those light pipes etc
anytime soon...

The Yamaha DSP-F would be a great MSP interface *IF* it had working ASIO
drivers + OMS driver for access to all the mixer and fx features. Is
anybody here using one successfully with other Mac applications?
(Yamaha's Japanese site seems confident it works on Mac with Cubase, Logic,
Vision etc.)

BTW, off-topic for MSP, apparently the 2408 lets you use it, with the noisy
computer turned off, as a format converter, eg analogue to 44.1k SPDIF -
good if you've an older 48k-only DAT machine.
Does anyone have experience with Motu's AudioDesk program?

Thanks,
Neal

Date:Wed, 1 Dec 1999 11:07:20 -0500
From:Christopher Murtagh <chris@MUSIC.MCGILL.CA>
Subject: Re: MSP + DSP Factory? Audiowerk 2?

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Neal Farwell wrote:
> BTW, off-topic for MSP, apparently the 2408 lets you use it, with the
> noisy computer turned off, as a format converter, eg analogue to 44.1k
> SPDIF - good if you've an older 48k-only DAT machine. Does anyone have
> experience with Motu's AudioDesk program?

I've had a 2408 from since they came out. It is a great unit, probably
the best piece of audio hardware I have ever bought for my computer. And
the format convert / standalone mode is also great. You can convert TDIF
to lightpipe or SPDIF and back again all without turning on your computer.

AudioDesk is great (considering it is free), but it doesn't zoom in too
much, and doesn't handle MIDI. The basic plugs that come with it are
pretty bland (so I would suggest at least Pluggo as well). You might want
to consider upgrading to Digital Performer, but it has been problematic
for me recently. Bounce to disk has been broken for a couple of versions
(which I believe MOTU is working on) and there are a couple of other
strange things. Other than that it is a pretty nice package.

Chris

Date:Wed, 1 Dec 1999 13:40:07 -0500
From:Eric Singer <eric@ERICSINGER.COM>
Subject: Re: videotracking

See my object VideoIn (via http://ericsinger.com) though it is know to have
problems on PPC machines.

Eric

At 2:24 AM -0500 12/1/99, marko kosnik wrote:
>hi mikael,
>big eye from steim (www.steim.nl)
could be what you are searching for.
>cheers,
>marko

Date:Wed, 1 Dec 1999 18:44:53 GMT0BST
From:James Barry <BarryJC@CARDIFF.AC.UK>
Subject: MAX and USB compatibility?

Dear All,

In brief, can anyone tell me of their experience using Opcode Max
on an iMac?
My reason for asking is because I read the MAX "Getting started"
manual on Opcode's website, and was concerned to see no
mention of support for USB - only serial and modem ports referred
to.
Will MAX recognize anything (ie. a controller) via a MIDI-USB
interface?

I know my question is pretty basic but I'd be really grateful if
someone could quickly advise.

Many thanks in anticipation,

James

Date:Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:58:06 +0000
From:Robb Drinkwater <rdrink@ARTIC.EDU>
Subject: Chicago Area Max Users meeting 12/6

Please join us
Monday, December 6th, 1999
7:30pm-9:30pm
for the first open meeting of the Chicago Area Max Users.

If you are in the Chicago area and are interested in
joining other Max users for open discussions,
demonstrations, swapping tips & tricks, trading patches, etc.
please join us at:

splinter group Audio Studio
450 North Leavitt St
Chicago IL
(between Damen & Western,
1/2 block south of Grand)
312 829 5650
www.splintergroup.com

This first meeting will focus on planning future meetings, getting to
know other local Max users, and outlining equipment needs (a G3 w/Jaz &
Zip will be availible; those of you with laptops are encouraged to bring
them).

Date:Wed, 1 Dec 1999 20:16:08 -0500
From:Jeff Mann <jefman@UTCC.UTORONTO.CA>
Subject: jMax or Pd?

Hi all - Sorry if this has been asked before:

I just got a Pentium 166, courtesy of the Swedish Post Office (long
story). I want to try out the free Maxes, jMax and Pd. Since it's
probably going to be quite a learning curve for me, which one should I
try first? Would anyone who knows about both care to comment on whether
there are any outstanding reasons to use one over the other?

<Jeff

Jeff Mann - Information Consumer ___O___O__= -- >
"Tapping one's toe in time with a piece of music while sitting on
a modern carpet can induce +/-10 volt potential change on a can of
Spam five feet away."- The Amateur Scientists' Bulletin

End of MAX Digest - 30 Nov 1999 to 1 Dec 1999 (#1999-343)
*********************************************************