Subject: MAX Digest - 14 Nov 1999 to 15 Nov 1999 (#1999-327)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 00:00:20 -0500
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. mic for cello
  2. Sound Manager 3.3?? [ot]
  3. patcher window background color
  4. fastlane usb i/f
  5. Generating a timestamp symbol
  6. Splitting AIFF files
  7. Input controllers
  8. Pluggo channels
  9. More than 8-Ch Out in MSP?
  10. MSP with MacOS 9
  11. old MAx new machine, beat clock

Date:Mon, 15 Nov 1999 00:20:43 -0500
From:Roland Adams <serotonin@MEDIAONE.NET>
Subject: Re: mic for cello

>Date:Sun, 14 Nov 1999 18:07:02 +0200
>From:
Gilles BALLET <gilles.ballet@FNAC.NET>
>Subject: microphone

>bonjour,
>I'm looking for a microphone for cello, has anybody experiences with
>that?...

This is for a recording situation, or a performance situation? For
performance, I think a Shure SM98 would be worth looking at. Its a
small condensor mic, the size of a large lavalier mic so it is easy
to aim, you could possibly find a way to attach it to the cello
itself since it is very light. Along those lines, a Sennheiser MKE
40 could be interesting too. For recording, I guess there are more
variables to consider besides unobtrusiveness.

---<No one reads my e-mail.>
---<http://www.prettycolors.com>

Date:Mon, 15 Nov 1999 07:50:36 -0500
From:David Crandall <dcrand1@GL.UMBC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Sound Manager 3.3?? [ot]

Many thanks to the many people who replied to my Sound manager 3.3
question. It turned out to be part of QT 4, and I got it working fine.
The only caveat is to be sure to get QT Musical Instruments, which I
skipped to save download time. It's not required but if not there, extra
"error" dialogs come up that must be OK'd before getting into any sound
program. Not a problem, but a nuisance.

Sure wish that Lisa demo was of the "use it for 10 days" sort. I wanted
my theater company to buy the program for this performance but since I
couldn't demo saving/quickly recalling libraries & samples, etc., they

ended up saying, "well, just do it using the software you already have..."
(sigh)

but anyway, thanks for replying.

dc

Date:Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:22:31 -0600
From:Ken Gregory <kgregory@PANGEA.CA>
Subject: Re: patcher window background color

Hi . This is my hack to get diferent colored patcher windows.

Make a pic file with an drawing program;apicture of solid color.

Use the fpic object to place it into the background of your patcher

or select Paste Picture from the Edit menu in mAx

Use the commands with the thispatcher object to get rid of the title bar,
scroll bars and to size and place thw window

Works fine!

Hope this helps.

ken

Date:Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:24:01 +0000
From:lawrence casserley <leo@CHILTERN.DEMON.CO.UK>
Subject: fastlane usb i/f

Lawrence CasserleyLawrence Electronic Operations
leo@chiltern.demon.co.ukTel: +44 1494 481381FAX: +44 1494 481454

----------
Thanks David, thanks Eric, thanks Steve!!!

The correct answer was to install FreeMIDI _after_ OMS - then everything
works fine!!

Now I can fly to Barcelona on Wednesday with my PowerBook :-)>

Halleluiah!!!!

I'll let you know how I get on!

Best

Lawrence

Date:Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:02:19 +0100
From:"Dunskus, Bertram" <Bertram.Dunskus@PARTNER.COMMERZBANK.COM>
Subject: Generating a timestamp symbol

Hello folks,

I tried putting together a patcher that would produce a timestamp for use
e.g. as a filename.

The patch works mostly, but I seem to run into odd situations when the date
object would not send out the date and time, but only one of the values. Or
it could be that the sprintf object does not handle the messages from date
to well. In any case, the timestamp symbol is sometimes truncated.

I am using Max 3.5.9-9 on MacOS 8.6 and 9.0, english and german versions.

Are there any known issues with the date object? Maybe there is a better way
to put the date and time together into a formatted symbol.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bertram Dunskus

Here's the file for reference:
max v2;

#P connect 13 0 24 0;
#P pop;

Date:Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:08:10 +0100
From:"Dunskus, Bertram" <Bertram.Dunskus@PARTNER.COMMERZBANK.COM>
Subject: Splitting AIFF files

Hello again,

a while ago I posted to this list because I was looking for a program that
would split 8-channel AIFF files from Max/MSP into individual files. Many
folks replied, thank you all.

However, I was looking for a solution that would be easy to handle, so I
wrote an application as a front end to the libsnd package. The program does
nothing more than take an AIFF file that is dragged onto it, create a folder
with the same name and store the individual tracks of the original as
"channel-1.aiff ... channel-x" in that same folder.

I'll make it available to anyone who needs it. Beware though, it is my first
Mac application, as I am used to Unix development, so don't expect to much.

Bertram Dunskus

Date:Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:12:22 +0100
From:"Dunskus, Bertram" <Bertram.Dunskus@PARTNER.COMMERZBANK.COM>
Subject: Input controllers

Hello everyone,

I am looking for ways to use extra controllers on my Mac to steer MSP
applications. I need three dimensions of control, i.e. left/right front/back
up/down. That's why I was thinking of a scrollwheel mouse.

Does anybody have any drivers for USB HID in Max?

If not, would it be worth developing an Apple Game Sprocket to Max
conversion object? That way, all sorts of controllers on the Mac could be
used with Max! I already sifted through the various SDK's, but I have never
developed in any of these.

Gimme some feedback, please!

Bertram Dunskus

Date:Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:15:47 +0100
From:"Dunskus, Bertram" <Bertram.Dunskus@PARTNER.COMMERZBANK.COM>
Subject: Pluggo channels

Hello,

in sifting through the Pluggo SDK it seemed to me that Pluggo only supports
two channels of I/O. Is this correct? I would love to avoid this limitation,
because I need to convert my MSP patch to an 8-In 8-Out VST Plugin.

Is there a chance that in a later version we may get this functionality?

Bertram Dunskus

Date:Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:20:36 +0100
From:"Dunskus, Bertram" <Bertram.Dunskus@PARTNER.COMMERZBANK.COM>
Subject: More than 8-Ch Out in MSP?

Hi,

I am thinking of expanding my Audio Hardware to more than 8 channels. (I am
currently using a Motu 2408 very happily, with an annoying crash on my Umax
S900 each time that I quit an application that used it... Help? The thing
works fine in a B/W400).

Can Max be used with more than 8 channels output? I guess not, because the
dac~ object only has 8 channels.

Can I hope for more in future versions?

Bertram Dunskus

Date:Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:39:02 +0100
From:"Dunskus, Bertram" <Bertram.Dunskus@PARTNER.COMMERZBANK.COM>
Subject: MSP with MacOS 9

Hello again,

I probably shouldn't ask this question, becaus Max/MSP is not certified for
use with MacOS 9. Anyway, I am using it on my PBG3/250, and it generally
works fine.

However, with OS 9 I cannot use the built in CD-ROM drive as a source of
audio when playing CD's. The dac-Setup Window shows "Input Source: Default",
instead of the internal drive bay, and I cannot change it. Whenever Max is
in the background, the sound comes through just fine, but when it's in the
foreground the sound goes mute.

This happens with in all variations, i.e. Sound Manager, ASIO Apple DAV and
ASIO Sound Manager.

I was expecting something like this, because MacOS9 now reads out the
digital signal from the CD-ROM and sends it directly into the Sound Manager.
I think they did this, because they were implementing Sound over isochronous
USB channels anyway, and because it makes handling and sound quality easier
or better.

However I am still looking for a way around this problem, because I like
using CD's as test material on my Powerbook.

Can anybody help?

Bertram Dunskus

Date:Mon, 15 Nov 1999 13:36:45 -0800
From:Peter Elsea <elsea@CATS.UCSC.EDU>
Subject: old MAx new machine, beat clock

>Is it possible to install an old version of Max onto an iMac computer
>to run our MIDI controllers? In our lab we use Max v.3.0 to run our
>equipment.
Not too likely- you can copy the application directly to a Zip disk and put
it on the iMac, but you will have trouble authorizing it. The authorizers
of that era won't run on system 8. (You may be able to get it going in
insert the disk mode, but I couldn't.) MaxPlay and any built apps should

run just fine.

> The secon problem is that once Max is on the iMac, will the MIDI still work
>through the USB ports (which are the only option) for the iMac.
>We've purchased a twin serial adapter that takes a USB port into a
>printer out /modem out port similar to the compute we are using right
>now. Will this work?

Not unless you use a true serial MIDI adapter such as a studio 64. The
simple adapters such as the translator reclock the Mac serial port to match
the MIDI data rate (which is not normally available). The USB to serial
adaptors cannot be reclocked.
The Stealh G3 modem adapter can be and works fine with a translator.
The other option is MIDIman's USB MIDIsport - not to be confused with
Opcode's MIDIport, which works well but is rather hard to find right now.

Someone asked about synchronizing to a metronome (must get that FAQ writen!)
Look at rtin. The help file will get you started.

Peter Elsea
Director, Electronic Music Studios
University of California, Santa Cruz
elsea@cats.ucsc.edu

End of MAX Digest - 14 Nov 1999 to 15 Nov 1999 (#1999-327)
**********************************************************