Subject: MAX Digest - 11 Nov 1999 to 12 Nov 1999 (#1999-325)
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 00:00:00 -0500
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. midi-controller
  2. pathways (3)
  3. ignore the "ok" replies...
  4. MAX Digest - 10 Nov 1999 to 11 Nov 1999 (#1999-324)
  5. streaks left when moving patchcords
  6. Powerbook config for MSP
  7. Videonics
  8. No sound using MSPPlay
  9. Sampling in MAX
  10. streaks lef
  11. patcher window color
  12. fastlane usb midi i/f
  13. Max on an iMac

Date:Wed, 10 Nov 1999 23:29:41 +0100
From:greg <grego@RHIZ.ORG>
Subject: midi-controller

hi, maybe off-topic ...
i´m searching for a midi controller to handle all the possibilities of max.
i found doepfers drehbank & regelwerk, peaveys pc 1600x, EES´s setcon
and JLCoopers´s FaderMasterPro.
all very different. does anyone have experiences with one of these
controllers, or does anyone have good experiences with another controller?
gg

Date:Thu, 11 Nov 1999 23:40:42 +0000
From:Michael Alcorn <alcorn@SOUNDIN.DNET.CO.UK>
Subject: pathways

A simple question --

A message box is connected to a sfplay~ object. The message box
contains an 'open' command and an argument (a pathway to a soundfile).
Can anyone tell me what the format is for this pathway -- I've tried
HD:x:y:z:soundx & Macintosh HD:x:y:z:soundx (it definitely doesn't like
this). (I think) I've searched high and low through the
documentation...

Many thanks

Michael Alcorn

Date:Fri, 12 Nov 1999 00:06:18 -0500
From:Christopher Murtagh <chris@MUSIC.MCGILL.CA>
Subject: ignore the "ok" replies...

Hi MAXers.

Please excuse the overabundance of "ok" replies to some submissions
to the list. I am baby sitting the list and screened and approved
the wrong inbox. My bad. Sorry about the spam ok's. Ok? Ok.

The Missus.

Date:Thu, 11 Nov 1999 23:08:49 -0600
From:mhall <mhall@VLINT.COM>
Subject: Re: MAX Digest - 10 Nov 1999 to 11 Nov 1999 (#1999-324)

Marion Hall is out of office till 11/29/99

Marion

Date:Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:23:24 +0100
From:Peter Castine <pcastine@PRZ.TU-BERLIN.DE>
Subject: Re: streaks left when moving patchcords

On around 12=AD11=AD1999 5:27, Louis Klepner said something like:

>I've got a strange situation where patch cords leave traces behind whe=
n
>I move them. Whenever I drag a patchcord to an object, a streak is left
>behind. The trace garbage can be eliminated by refreshing the screen. I'm
>told this doesn't usually happen, so I figured I'd ask whats causing this?

Just guessing: OS 8.6+, Control Panels->Appearance->Fonts->Smooth all
fonts on screen.

Try turning off the check box.

A similar anomaly occurs w/Finale, has been well documented, and is asked
frequently nonetheless.

Hope this helps,

Peter

----------------- http://www.prz.tu-berlin.de/~pcastine/-----------------
Dr. Peter Castine| The World-Wide Web Site of the 26th
4-15 Music & Technology| International Computer Music Conference is
| now on-line! <http://www.icmc2000.org/>
| Enjoy!

Date:Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:23:27 +0100
From:Peter Castine <pcastine@PRZ.TU-BERLIN.DE>
Subject: Re: pathways

On around 12=AD11=AD1999 0:40, Michael Alcorn said something like:

>A message box is connected to a sfplay~ object. The message box
>contains an 'open' command and an argument (a pathway to a soundfile).
>Can anyone tell me what the format is for this pathway -- I've tried
>HD:x:y:z:soundx & Macintosh HD:x:y:z:soundx (it definitely doesn't like
>this). (I think) I've searched high and low through the
>documentation...

Hmmm... have you tried enclosing the entire path plus file name in
=B3smart=B2 quotes? On a US Keyboard the keystrokes are opt-[ and

shift-opt-[. Otherwise you would have to escape all blanks in the path
specification (using a backslash in front of each blank).

In any case, if you want a comple path spec, you'll need the entire name
of your hard disk, so presumably something like =B3Macintosh
HD:x:y:z:soundx=B2.

(What, you haven't changed the factory-installed name of your hard disk
yet?!-)

BTW: "Dumb" quotes or single quotes may also work. There are one or two
examples in the Max documentation where you can see the general principle
of "how do I embed blanks into a symbol?" in action. However & IMS,
they're all used in contexts where the documentation is concerned with
some other issue, so they're not that easy to find. It's been a while
since I've needed to worry about this so my memory's a little
vague--sorry.

Hope this helps,

Peter

----------------- http://www.prz.tu-berlin.de/~pcastine/-----------------
Dr. Peter Castine| The World-Wide Web Site of the 26th
4-15 Music & Technology| International Computer Music Conference is
| now on-line! <http://www.icmc2000.org/>
| Enjoy!

Date:Fri, 12 Nov 1999 08:21:19 -0500
From:mcconney <mcconney@UFL.EDU>
Subject: Powerbook config for MSP

Hello,

We are about to purchase a Powerbook setup for running MAX/MSP and I was wondering

if anyone has had luck with a similar setup.

USB series Powerbook 333mhz w/ 128 megs of ram
MAX/MSP
MIDIMan 2X2 MIDISport USB interface
VST external USB floppy
OS 8.6 or 9

Thanks

Shamus McConney

Date:Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:24:43 +0100
From:Fredrik Winberg <fredrikw@NADA.KTH.SE>
Subject: Re: pathways

>A simple question --
>A message box is connected to a sfplay~ object. The message box
>contains an 'open' command and an argument (a pathway to a soundfile).
>Can anyone tell me what the format is for this pathway -- I've tried
>HD:x:y:z:soundx & Macintosh HD:x:y:z:soundx (it definitely doesn't like
>this). (I think) I've searched high and low through the
>documentation...

The documentation for sfplay~ says that the file must be in Max's

search path. I just tried to give a path name as you have tried, and
it didn't succeed.

In general, you should use the name of your hard drive in the path
name. If the drive is called "Macintosh HD" you should also use that
name as in the latter example above (spaces included). But as I
mentioned above, this doesn't seem to apply for the sfplay~ object.

/Fredrik

Date:Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:00:21 -0500
From:sean paul zitello <spazello@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject: Re: Videonics

I finally just gave up on Videonics in regards to
control. Though controlling the serial GPI
trigger is not terribly difficult
setting up the sequence of transitions was a
pain. I seem to recall that there is no memory or
editing of the sequence.
Perhaps I had an older version or perhaps someone
gained access to actual "input" rather than just
trigger on/off. I ended up selling the unit
hoping to use the money toward a more production
oriented solution.

sean paul zitello

Date:Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:07:06 -0500
From:sean paul zitello <spazello@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject: No sound using MSPPlay

I wrote an application to basically display (300
point) track/time data of a CD playing.
Version 1 used only MAX and all works as expected.

Version 2 wanted vu meters so I used MSP w/the
adc~ object connected to MSPs vu.
This works just fine on my computer
604e/200mhz/8.6
However, on a 603/150mhz/8.0 there is no audible
sound, though the vu's show the correct levels.
I attached the "speaker" (ezdac~) and my system
produces an echo (which I rather enjoy)
while the 603 system does produce cd audio but is
accompanied by a "clicking" rather than an echo.

Any ideas whats going here?

sean paul zitello

Date:Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:30:06 -0500
From:tristan jehan <tristan@MEDIA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Sampling in MAX

I'm trying to design a multi-channel sampler in Max. I need to download
files while playing others via MIDI. Does anybody know if Max can
handle this well and what the minimum latency would be for playback (I
would use the MOTU 2408)?
Thanks.

Tristan

Hyperinstruments
MIT Media Laboratory
(617) 253 2041

Date:Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:46:57 +0100
From:Roland Cahen & Ruth Sefton-Green <cahen.sefton.green@WANADOO.FR>
Subject: streaks lef

>From:Louis Klepner <lou@EXPRESSIVEIMAGING.COM>
>Subject: streaks left when moving patchcords

try throwing max pref (don't forget to write down you path)
& 2 bine

r.kn

Date:Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:10:19 -0800
From:David Beaudry <dbeaudry@UCLA.EDU>
Subject: patcher window color

Is there a way to set the patcher window color to something other than white?

Thanks,
David Beaudry

UCLA Center for Digital Arts

Date:Fri, 12 Nov 1999 21:22:15 +0000
From:lawrence casserley <leo@CHILTERN.DEMON.CO.UK>
Subject: fastlane usb midi i/f

Hi

I am getting max/msp running on my new 40mhz g3 powerbook. everything is
going fine except midi. I have a fastlane usb i/f and I have installed the
latest oms 2.3.8 which is supposed to recognise usb interfaces - but it
doesn't!!

Anyone have any experience to offer?

Thanks

Lawrence

Lawrence CasserleyLawrence Electronic Operations
leo@chiltern.demon.co.ukTel: +44 1494 481381FAX: +44 1494 481454

Date:Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:08:10 -0500
From:"Jay J. Bauer" <j-bauer2@NWU.EDU>
Subject: Max on an iMac

Is it possible to install an old version of Max onto an iMac computer
to run our MIDI controllers? In our lab we use Max v.3.0 to run our
equipment. Currently we are using a very old Macintosh Performa Power
PC computer to run Max but we would like to update to an iMac. This
presents two problems. First the version of Max that we are

currently using is on 3.5 inch disks. Since an iMac doesn't have an
internal disk drive, we have used an external portable USB disk
drive. The only problem is that it will not allow you to change the
disks during the installation without freezing the system. So I've
only been able to install the first of 3 disks for MaxPlay. Does
anybody know of a method to rectify this annoying problem? Obviously
Opcode technical support has been completely unhelpful. The second
problem is that once Max is on the iMac, will the MIDI still work
through the USB ports (which are the only option) for the iMac.
We've purchased a twin serial adapter that takes a USB port into a
printer out /modem out port similar to the compute we are using right
now. Will this work? Any help that somebody may be able to provide
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.
Sincerely,

Jay J. Bauer

*****************
Jay J. Bauer
j-bauer2@nwu.edu
Speech Physiology Lab
Northwestern University
(847) 491-2428 -W
*****************

End of MAX Digest - 11 Nov 1999 to 12 Nov 1999 (#1999-325)
**********************************************************