Subject: MAX Digest - 5 Nov 1999 to 7 Nov 1999 (#1999-320)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 00:00:19 -0500
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. Midi clock, MMC
  2. sprintf and smart quotes
  3. VX-Pockect/MSP, etc.
  4. sprintf and filenames
  5. usb interface problems

Date:Thu, 4 Nov 1999 21:08:46 -0000
From:Nick Rothwell <nick@CASSIEL.COM>
Subject: Re: Midi clock, MMC

> Midi clock does
> nothing, as near as I can tell. help? i could certainly write my own
> objects to parse the foreign midi, but do I really have to?

I have a suite of "chunk" objects which deal with MIDI Clock and do
things like positioning to particular bar lines, subdividing and
counting beats, and so on. I wrote these five or six years ago and
have been using them ever since, but they're 680x0 only, as is all the
rest of my software, until and unless I upgrade to a PPC Powerbook
(and given the current state of Opcode and Powerbook audio support I
have no plans to upgrade anything at present).

I've not used my LaunchPad for a while. I think it can do
STOP/START/CONTINUE. I've always wanted to write some MMC parsers as
well, but haven't got round to it yet.

Nick RothwellCassiel.com Limited
nick@cassiel.comwww.cassiel.com
systems - composition - installation - performance

Date:Sat, 6 Nov 1999 13:04:31 -0500
From:Michael DeMurga <mdemurga@STETSON.EDU>
Subject: Re: sprintf and smart quotes

Peter:

this *should* work:
sprintf '%s%s'

here's what I've noticed:
-sometimes I type "sprintf '%s%s'" into an object box and it works
fine. other times not.
-sometimes I save a patch as text, w/ "sprintf '%s%s'" as an object.
Next time I open it, the object appears as "sprintf %s%s". (no smart
quotes)
-some flaky problems going int-to-ascii w/ sprintf that disappeared when
I used "itoa" instead.

I do have a working patch for creating pathnames I could send you as a

binary attachment (I use it to fill a menu up with aiff file names
stored in folder). It's an instance where "sprintf '%s%s'" works. Drop
me email.

Mike

Date:Sat, 6 Nov 1999 15:48:44 -0500
From:"M. Abidh Waugh" <abidh@MUSIC.UMASS.EDU>
Subject: VX-Pockect/MSP, etc.

The Vx pocket seems to be working well in my powerbook 400. A relatively complex
MSP network uses 72-79% CPU w/ digigram driver (Digigram card appears to be fixed
at an i/o vector of 2016 and sig vector of 32, there is no way to get around this,
right?) Sound manager uses 50-55% CPU(i/o vector & sig. vector: 64) to run the
same MSP application. Turning audio interrupt on seemed todecrease CPU
utilization by 2-3% in both test cases.
My preliminary tests using max-midi and msp with this setup seem quite more
reliable than my desktop setup which uses an Audiomedia 3 card in a g3 300. The
audiomedia (although recently mentioned on this list as "loving MSP") in my
experience is somewhat problematical. For instance, every time I turn audio
processing on using the AM3 direct msp driver, a deafening high pitch spike bursts
forth. The same patch using Sound manager or the VX produces no such anomaly.
Additionally, the repeatedly self corrupting digidesign prefs file (as has been
recently discussed here) is a problem for me.
Finally, and off topic here, has anyone managed to make Vision DSP work with the
VXpocket card? It doesn't work for me.

Thank you.

1. Abidh Waugh

Date:Sat, 6 Nov 1999 18:08:13 -0500
From:Neal Farwell <nfarwell@FAS.HARVARD.EDU>
Subject: Re: sprintf and filenames

I also find myself needing to assemble/dismantle filenames with spaces -
and I have a faint recollection of this being discussed in detail in the
last few months. Anybody recall when this was?

Thanks,
Neal

>I'm using a combination of message boxes and sprintf to create pathnames,
>but I am running into problems maintaining the smart quotes in sprintf.
>For example, I have a pathname 'HD:Desktop Folder:bin1' and a file name
>"file 1", and I combine them with "sprintf %s%s" and "prepend set" this
>into a message box. However, by the time it gets there, all the smart
>quotes are gone, rendering the message useless (this is true if I "print"
>to the Max window as well). I have tried "sprintf \'%s%s\'" "sprintf
>'%s%s'"
with no luck. Any clues?
>Prepending and appending smart quotes won't work because of the automatic
>space that pre-and-append add. I suppose if I don't use spaces in my
>folder names or file names, I'm ok, but I'd really like spaces to be
>allowed.
>Peter.

Date:Fri, 5 Nov 1999 22:23:50 -0700
From:Adam Schabtach <nebulous@CYCLING74.COM>

Subject: Re: usb interface problems

This may or may not be relevant to some of the USB problems that people are
experiencing with Max: I have been using USB mice with a MacAlly USB PCI
card in a beige G3, first a Logitech wheel mouse (not sure what model--they
neglected to print a name on it) and now a Microsoft Explorer Intellimouse
(the cool one that glows red). Initially I had plugged mice into a D-Link
USB hub, which was then plugged into the PCI card. At random times while
moving the mouse (often in the Finder, it seemed) my machine would freeze. I
couldn't isolate the problem to either mouse, or to the rapidly changing
Apple USB drivers, etc. Very annoying. Eventually I tried plugging the mouse
directly into one of the USB ports on the PCI card; since doing this, I
haven't observed any freezes.

--Adam

End of MAX Digest - 5 Nov 1999 to 7 Nov 1999 (#1999-320)
********************************************************