Subject: MAX Digest - 1 Nov 1999 to 2 Nov 1999 (#1999-316)
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 00:00:26 -0500
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. Dynamics Processing
  2. aesend/receive
  3. good news and bad news: Digigram VXpocket+ASIO2
  4. VX Pocket
  5. MSP doesn't like my Audiomedia III (3)
  6. seqPlayer and tempo meta events
  7. dynamics patches

Date:Mon, 1 Nov 1999 22:30:46 +0000
From:Erick Gallun <erick@EAR.PSYCH.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject: Re: Dynamics Processing

>Date:Sun, 31 Oct 1999 20:24:04 -0500

>Anyone know of any good dynamics-processing patches out there? I'm looking
>for a rudimentary gate and limiter.

My solution was to use a vst~ object and a free vst plug-in I found on the
web. Search terms are "free", "vst" and "dynamics". Results are copious.

erick gallun
graduate student
hafter auditory perception lab
uc berkeley

Date:Tue, 2 Nov 1999 10:33:49 +0100
From:Jeffrey Burns <jeff@BERLIN.SNAFU.DE>
Subject: aesend/receive

Sorry if this has been discussed before:
Is there a PPC version of aesend and aereceive and where?
thanx

Jeff Burns

Date:Tue, 2 Nov 1999 11:01:26 +0100
From:Kasper T Toeplitz <kasper@CLUB-INTERNET.FR>
Subject: Re: good news and bad news: Digigram VXpocket+ASIO2

HI

>The good news is that I've just uploaded a new version of MSP's ASIO
>support to the Cycling '74 news page that works with the laptop audio
>interface.
>http://www.cycling74.com/support/news.html

>The bad news is that according to user reports, the VXpocket
>ASIO driver has much higher input-output latency than just using
>the Sound Manager on a Powerbook, and degrades the available CPU
>performance by 10 to 15 percent. Some people were hoping the ASIO
>driver would be better than using Digigram
>VXpocket's Sound Manager driver,
>but alas, it appears not to be.

According to a recent mail from Digigram (asking about those very same
issues) they tell me than "in theory" the latency is 75ms, but than Cubase
(with ASIO driver) claims it to be 42ms
Also they ship the card with both Sound Manager& ASIO drivers(and have
never tried with MSP, but "it should work" - so they say)

**************************

The only really sure thing is that they answer questions, do it fast, and
try to be helpful - which IS something

///////////////////////////////

a question - I have seen all those ads for Cubase with ASIO II which claim
you can have0ms (!) latency time
What does it all mean ????

Kasper T Toeplitz
Compositeur &Bassiste Electrique

Date:Tue, 2 Nov 1999 09:42:10 +0100
From:Matthias Daneck <Matthias.Daneck@NOWMUSIC.DE>
Subject: Re: VX Pocket

I tried the VX Pocket Card the last days. You need to put the ASIO MSP Audiodriver in
the Max Folder. In a "ASIO Drivers" Folder you put the Digigram VX ASIO Driver which
comes with the card.
But I experienced a significantly worse latency, so bad that I can't use the card. It's
about 3-4 times longer than with the Sound Manager. I contacted Digigram because of
that and wait for an answer.

Matthias Daneck

Date:Tue, 2 Nov 1999 13:54:25 +0100
From:heiniger <W.Heiniger@UNIBAS.CH>
Subject: Re: MSP doesn't like my Audiomedia III

>Subject: MSP doesn't like my Audiomedia III
>I recently authorized MSP and it will not recognize my Audiomedia III card.

observed exactly same behaviour.
Asked techsupport at Cycling : no answer so far ...

bizarre ...

wolf

Date:Tue, 2 Nov 1999 14:59:40 +0100
From:Peter Swinnen <peter.swinnen@PI.BE>

Subject: Re: MSP doesn't like my Audiomedia III

Dear Chris,

> Direct I/O Audiodriver: error-6011 acquiring device. I am also unable to
> output from ProTools via the Audiomedia card (something that has never
> occurred prior to MSP authorization).

Did you try deleting the DigiSetup file (it is in your Preferences Folder) ? This
contains information about all installed Digidesign Cards. Sometimes this gets
corrupted, so your hardware cannot be addressed correctly anymore. Try deleting the
DigiSetup file and rebooting your Mac (yes, furst shut down, wait 15 seconds, start up,
... ;-). With a little bit of luck, everything should be OK again...

Regards,
Peter Swinnen
-----
Composer(from Belgium)
mailto:peter.swinnen@ping.be

Date:Tue, 2 Nov 1999 18:41:20 -0500
From:Alejandro Cremaschi <cremasch@OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU>
Subject: seqPlayer and tempo meta events

Hello. I'm sure this question is pretty basic...

I've been using Eric Singer's seqPlayer object (thank you Eric!). I like
the fact that you can tell the object where to start in the sequence.
However, I can't figure out how to make the object adjust the tempo to
follow the "set tempo" meta events stored in the sequence being
played. Does anyone know how to solve this? I realize that the solution
will involve adjusting the bang rate that this objects receives in the
left inlet... but how do you obtain this rate from the meta events in the
sequence? (seqPlayer does not output meta events)

I noticed that the object 'seq' does follow the "set tempo" meta events
from the sequence. But the problem with this object is that you can't tell
it to start at a specific spot in the sequence.

Thank you!

Alejandro

Date:Wed, 3 Nov 1999 02:04:42 +0100
From:Joerg Spix <Joerg.Spix@INFORMATIK.UNI-OLDENBURG.DE>
Subject: Re: MSP doesn't like my Audiomedia III

Hi,

>I recently authorized MSP and it will not recognize my Audiomedia III card.
>When I startup MAX I receive an error message in the MAX window that says,
>Direct I/O Audiodriver: error-6011 acquiring device. I am also unable to
>output from ProTools via the Audiomedia card (something that has never
>occurred prior to MSP authorization). I have Digisystems Int 3.4.2. (>3.3)
>and have made sure The Direct I/O MSP Audiodriver is in the MAX folder not
>audiodriver folder. I received a suggestion to click on a message box
>containing "; dsp driver setup". This was to open a Digidesign dialog box
>that would allow me to identify the AMIII card. But nothing happened. Too
>bad, it sounded so good. Any other ideas? I am very thankful for any
>knowledge about this predicament.

I got that a few days before at the university. What I did wrong was
selecting the Digidesign Soundmanager driver in the control panel, so MSP
couldn't open the card for the direct i/o driver. Just set the control
panel back to internal sound hardware and it should work.

Joerg

(Joerg.Spix@informatik.uni-oldenburg.de)

Date:Tue, 2 Nov 1999 21:21:53 -0500
From:Robin Davies <robin@MUSIC.MCGILL.CA>
Subject: dynamics patches

----
From:Nick Lloyd <nxlloyd@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject: Dynamics Processing

Anyone know of any good dynamics-processing patches out there? I'm looking
for a rudimentary gate and limiter.
----

Well, it's not hardcore MAX, but an easy way to do this is use the vst~
object and pick your favourite VST dynamics plug-in. There are many free,
just search the web.

is one example.

Robin

End of MAX Digest - 1 Nov 1999 to 2 Nov 1999 (#1999-316)
********************************************************