Subject: MAX Digest - 27 Oct 1999 to 28 Oct 1999 (#1999-311)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 00:00:44 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. dithering
  2. MathLib
  3. an association of max users (2)
  4. sampler

Date:Wed, 27 Oct 1999 21:54:14 -0700
From:David Zicarelli <zicarell@CYCLING74.COM>
Subject: Re: dithering

Neal Farwell <nfarwell@FAS.HARVARD.EDU> writes:

>When MSP turns its internal floating point representation into 16-bit
>integers for Sound Manager, does it do any dithering or noise shaping?

No, it doesn't even do clipping. These I/O issues, and many more,
will be addressed in a future MSP.

Processors are getting faster, so let's pile on the overhead!

>If not, does anyone have a good external or patcher for this?

I'm not sure this can work since any MSP algorithm would remain in
32-bit floating-point and then get converted to 16-bit integer.
I believe that dithering only makes sense in the context of resolution
reduction, but I'm not an expert on this subject.

There was also some debate on the list the last time this was
brought up as to whether you can even hear the difference
when 16-bit outputs are dithered.

Date:Thu, 28 Oct 1999 06:32:32 +0200
From:"Dr. Karlheinz Essl" <essl@EUNET.AT>
Subject: Re: MathLib

The MathLib was part of old system versions and is now (with OS 8.6) not
any more necessary.

Dr. Karlheinz Essl
composition - performance - improvisation
Studio for Advanced Music and Media Technology (Austria)

Date:Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:20:03 EDT
From:RBMengMail@AOL.COM

Subject: an association of max users

In a message dated 10/28/99 4:15:17 AM, LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA writes:

<< Couldn't we create an association of max users and try something against
Pace ?

Or better yet, an association of max users that buys out the rights to MAX,
charges a nominal annual fee for maintenance (proceeds to David Z. and Chris
M.) and completely removes the copy protection or at least limit it to a
simpler password system -- in a perfect world, maybe.......

R B Meng

Date:Thu, 28 Oct 1999 13:19:19 -0700
From:Benjamin Nevile/Towers Perrin <nevileb@TOWERS.COM>
Subject: sampler

I've used Max a fair bit, but not MSP. Can MSP do a good job as a sampler? I
guess the three primary difficulties would be response time, polyphony and
reliability.

I guess the next step would be to create some sort of interface or translating
program to allow MSP to play standard samples (AKAI format, for example).
I don't suppose that's been done... ?

I realize this type of simple function may be 'beneath' the full potential of
MSP,
but there's a $2000 piece of gear in my rack that I'd love to sell if its
essential
functions can be replicated in software. My computer is only going to get
faster.

bbn

Date:Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:13:39 -0400
From:Christopher Murtagh <chris@MUSIC.MCGILL.CA>
Subject: Re: an association of max users

At 2:20 PM -0400 10/28/99, RBMengMail@AOL.COM wrote:
>Or better yet, an association of max users that buys out the rights to MAX,
>charges a nominal annual fee for maintenance (proceeds to David Z. and Chris
>M.) and completely removes the copy protection or at least limit it to a
>simpler password system -- in a perfect world, maybe.......

:-) As flattering as this might be, I just want to point out that I
certainly don't deserve to be put into the same category as David Z.
(or anyone else at Opcode or Cycling74 for that matter) especially
when it comes to MAX development/proceeds etc. David Z. and gang
certainly deserve all credit there, I'm just the bozo that runs the
MAX list and likes to use MSP for audio research. :-)

Chris

End of MAX Digest - 27 Oct 1999 to 28 Oct 1999 (#1999-311)
**********************************************************