Subject: MAX Digest - 24 Oct 1999 to 25 Oct 1999 (#1999-308)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:00:04 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. ctlins (2)
  2. Objects ala Sine, Square etc.?
  3. PCI24/wish list (2)
  4. Imac & max/MSP ?
  5. analog - DV converters (desktop)
  6. analog - DV converters
  7. USB MIDI Converters
  8. Harassing emails

Date:Mon, 25 Oct 1999 02:14:39 -0500
From:deKam <johnny@NODE.NET>
Subject: ctlins

you may want to try eric singer's 'deflutter' object... I believe he has
several objects geared for funky continuous controllers

> Say you have "ctlin"s from two MIDI faders that you might move at the same
> time, to control some kind of X-Y process. I've been doing this with my
> joystick-modified faderbaby.

--deKam

Date:Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:19:26 +0100
From:Oeivind Idsoe <ezueled@MINDLESS.COM>
Subject: Objects ala Sine, Square etc.?

Are there any objects out there that simulate different kinds of
waveforms (sine, square, saw, triangle etc.) in a line-like/looping-like manner?

I want to use said waveforms as control signals. (fx. panning).

BTW, these objects should be for Max, not MSP.

Thanks.

(btw, there are rumours about new, speed-bumped Powerbooks (still G3,
not G4) -- anyone heard anything about this?)

/Oeivind/

Date:Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:42:45 +0100
From:Oeivind Idsoe <ezueled@MINDLESS.COM>
Subject: Re: PCI24/wish list

I also bought the PCI-24 as my first audiocard for my G3-upgraded PMac
7500, but after having much of the same problems you are having (close
to impossible to use with Peak and Cubase, bad tech support etc.), in
addition to eventually finding out that the card conflicted with the
PCI-card of my Kyma system, I decided to sell the card and go for the
Audiomedia III card instead.

Needless to say, I´ve been a happy camper since. And I wouldn´t
recommend the PCI-24 to anyone.

/Oeivind/

Date:Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:20:39 +0100
From:Roland Cahen & Ruth Sefton-Green <cahen.sefton.green@WANADOO.FR>
Subject: Imac & max/MSP ?

I have trouble runing Max 3.5.9-9 on an Imac
Has someone allready experimented a long wait before opening max windox and
then crashes on Starting OMS ?

Date:Mon, 25 Oct 1999 11:24:02 -0400
From:David Gamper <dgamper@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: Re: analog - DV converters (desktop)

I've got one, purchased from B&H Photo in NYC about 6 months ago. It
works just fine with a variety of hardware (DV deck, camcorder,
FireWire2Go PCMCIA card)

At 12:00 AM -0400 10/25/99, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>From:David Crandall <dcrand1@GL.UMBC.EDU>
>Subject: analog - DV converters (desktop)
>Just wondering if anyone has seen Sony's DVMC-DA1 Media Converter
>(analog-firewire & back) available for sale in the US. I had seen an
>announcement that it was being sold in Japan, but hadn't seen it here.

Date:Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:06:31 +0200
From:muki pakesch <mpakesch@T0.OR.AT>
Subject: Re: analog - DV converters

At 0:00 -0400 25.10.1999, David Crandall <dcrand1@GL.UMBC.EDU> wrote:

>Just wondering if anyone has seen Sony's DVMC-DA1 Media Converter
>(analog-firewire & back) available for sale in the US. I had seen an
>announcement that it was being sold in Japan, but hadn't seen it here.

afaik ProMax sells the dvmc-da1 in the us

hth
cheers,
muki
__________________________________________________________________
| muki pakesch|
| mailto:mpakesch@t0.or.athttp://www.t0.or.at/~mpakesch|
|__________________________________________________________________|

Date:Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:12:13 -0700

From:James Husted <jhusted@HALCYON.COM>
Subject: Re: PCI24/wish list

> Does anyone out there have experience of Lucid Technology's PCI24 card with
> MSP?
I bought one a while back and have had loads of problems using it with
> Cubase & Peak; the sound manager and ASIO drivers just don't seem to be able
> to co-exist on the same hard drive. Unfortunately Lucid's tech support seems
> to be non-existant; they don't answer my e-mails and the developement of new
> drivers seems to lag about a year behind OS/product updates. I only have an
> evaluation copy of MSP, so I'm wondering if the card is going to give me
> trouble if I ever get round to getting the full monty.

Roger-
As you can see from my signature footer, I work at Lucid Technology. I have
a PCI24 in both my home systems (IBM and MAC). On the MAC I'm running a 7600
with a NewerTech G3 updat card and +128M of ram - OS 8.6. I can run both
Peak and Cubase and also the latest Vision DSP 4.2. I've run MSP (untill the
demo ran out) and it worked fine also. I was using the latest Drivers. From
the sounds of your e-mail, you were not using the ASIO driver and using the
Soundmanager driver instead. The latest ASIO driver on our FTP site is
Version 1.09. You can go to here to get it:

ftp://ftp.halcyon.com/pub/users/lucid/Software/PCI24/Mac/Current/ASIO_v109/A
SIO109.HQX

I will forward this email to our Tech staff anyway. I don't know why you
havent heard from them. To which address did you email to? The sales staff
has been in flux, but the support staff has been stable (we've even added a
few bodies there since it's both Symetrix and Lucid). Anyway see if the new
drivers work for you and if they don't, give me a E and I'll aim you at the
project engineer.
-James

----James Husted
----Art Director/Webmaster
----Symetrix Inc./Lucid Technology
----webmaster@symetrixaudio.com
----webmaster@lucidtecnology.com

Date:Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:12:30 +0200
From:Jeff Ridenour <jridenou@KONCON.NL>
Subject: Re: USB MIDI Converters

i just last week purchased a new keyspan serial adapter, which is supposed
to do midi, which i was hoping to use with my old opcode translator II
serial midi interface. the problem is that it seems that there have only
been drivers made to use it with freemidi from MOTU. and of course even
though OMS is emulated in FREEMIDI, there are only drivers in FREEMIDI for
MOTU interfaces. OMS does not seem to recognize the ports, and i have
doubts that ill be seeing support from opcode anytime for that.

has anyone had better luck with this adapter?

does anyone have an idea of what will happen to OMS?

jeff

Date:Mon, 25 Oct 1999 13:04:03 -0400
From:Eric Singer <eric@ERICSINGER.COM>
Subject: Re: ctlins

At 3:14 AM -0400 10/25/99, deKam wrote:

>you may want to try eric singer's 'deflutter' object... I believe he has
>several objects geared for funky continuous controllers
>http://www.ericsinger.com

...which you'll find inside "Singer Library 1" (and possibly also in some
folder on your Max CD.

Eric

Date:Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:30:26 -0400
From:Christopher Murtagh <chris@MUSIC.MCGILL.CA>
Subject: Harassing emails

Greetings MAXers,

Once again I am forced to deal with an unpleasant topic, I apologize
but please bear with me here. I have gotten a number of complaints
from people receiving email from the person known as antiorp which
appear to be coming from the MAX list. I can guarantee that these
messages are not from the MAX list but are spoofed at antiorp's end.
If you are receiving these messages, please send a (polite) email to
antiorp (integer@www.god-emil.dk)asking that he/she stop immediately
(and please CC: me). If you then continue to receive any more email
from antiorp, please forward them to me and I will contact the Danish
authorities and see what can be done.

Please do NOT send rude or harassing emails to antiorp, this does
not solve anything and only makes matters worse. With a little luck,
this will be resolved in a peaceful manner.

Sincerely,

Christopher Murtagh
MAX listserv admin

End of MAX Digest - 24 Oct 1999 to 25 Oct 1999 (#1999-308)
**********************************************************