Subject: MAX Digest - 19 Oct 1999 to 20 Oct 1999 (#1999-303)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 00:01:01 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. Variable Speed, Same Pitch
  2. MSP distortion after 3.5 hours (2)
  3. Request for civility and a close message
  4. still looking for ORB data points
  5. thispatcher
  6. ORB drive
  7. Orb, et al
  8. FFTease Morphine~ on 8600/300?
  9. USB audio/projection
  10. Terminal/Serial Control
  11. Various

Date:Tue, 19 Oct 1999 20:34:56 -0400
From:Nick Lloyd <nxlloyd@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject: Variable Speed, Same Pitch

Does anyone know of an MSP object which would playback audio from a buffer
at variable speed but hold the pitch? I'm in the process of designing a
patch which will aid me in transcription and I'm a little too much of a
DIY-er to buy any of the products that are out there. I think there was some
discussion of this on the list a while back.

Or if there was simply a pitch shift object, it would be easy enough to
figure out a way to use that to the same end.

Looking for ideas,

Nick
Gretchen's Kitchen
A Multi-Purpose Recording Facility
ph# - 718/623-1660
10 Sterling Place, Brooklyn, NY

Date:Tue, 19 Oct 1999 21:46:26 -0700
From:David Zicarelli <zicarell@CYCLING74.COM>
Subject: Re: MSP distortion after 3.5 hours

Louis Klepner <lou@EXPRESSIVEIMAGING.COM> writes:

>I've got a little bug using an audiowerks 8 board with MSP. Audio plays
>out fine until the patch has been running for 3.5 hours, and then the audio
>begins to quickly distort. It sounds like the speakers have been blown. I
>was wondering if this is a bug in the beta audiowerks driver, or perhaps
>because I'm running the patch on an unregistered version of MSP... Any
>ideas?

MSP doesn't do any sample counting unless you're using something
like the count~ object. Even in an unregistered version. Counting
samples is about the only thing I can think of that would make
this happen. People have reported similar things with the

Direct I/O driver and the Audiomedia III but I couldn't make it
happen after running it overnight for a few nights.

Maybe the Audiowerk8 does sample counting, because ASIO allows
you to find out the sample position. But 3.5 hours at
44.1kHz is about 555660000 samples, which can be represented
by a 32-bit number. It does go negative if you multiply by
4, and wraps if you multiply by 8.

Date:Tue, 19 Oct 1999 21:39:47 -0700
From:David Zicarelli <zicarell@CYCLING74.COM>
Subject: Re: Request for civility and a close message

Memo to Stephen Kay: if you do implement a close feature,
it should be called wclose. "close" is a reserved Max message
keyword used when the kernel wants to close a window (such
as when the user quits the program).

Date:Wed, 20 Oct 1999 01:16:08 -0400
From:Eloy Anzola <leaddaet@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: Re: still looking for ORB data points

David:

> As it becomes more evident that my Jaz drive is eating disks at random,
> I'm still searching for anyone who's having experiences with the new Orb
> drive.

I understand you might want to switch anyway, but have you
contacted Iomega ?

My Jaz died about two years ago, and I was very suprised
when they replaced the drive for free and without asking
any questions.

best of luck,

Eloy
------
leaddaet@earthlink.net

Date:Wed, 20 Oct 1999 01:09:15 -0400
From:Ken Gregory <kgregory@PANGEA.CA>
Subject: Re: thispatcher

>1. Allow the patcher window to be made as small as required - ie.
>remove the limitations on collapsing the patcher windows. I often
>find I want lots of sub-patcher windows open, and they might only
>contain 6 number boxes that I want to see, but the window size must
>be larger than required, and therefore steals a lot of screen space.

Hello Garth.
Max 3.5 has this improvement included with the 'thispatcher' object
update. Look at page 113 in the Addendum 3.5 manual. I've hidden open

windows with one pixel coordinates.

Hope this helps.

ken

here's a little patch to check out.

max v2;
#P connect 0 0 1 0;
#P pop 1;

Date:Tue, 19 Oct 1999 22:44:07 -0800
From:Andrew Faltonson <dru@OZ.NET>
Subject: ORB drive

Regards ORB drive. I'm using external SCSI with Beige G3/300. The good news
is the cost. Some bad news is that the drive does not like certain
installations. I haven't been able to install a system from CD onto the ORB
disk. I have to copy very carefully everything I need and have essentially
'built' bootable ORB disks. It freezes a lot during file transfers. Often
with the same files??? I haven't done any kind of audio/video work with
them but am happy with the speed when it works. Hmmmmm. I'm not condemning
it but it has some problems for me.
dru

***************************************************************************
Andrew FALTONSON---------------actor,artist,composer,poet,photographer,
c/o "Resonant Dwarf"radio producer,sound designer &
writer.
PO Box 95902
Seattle, WA 98145\\Csound, Finale, MAX &
StudioVision//
dru@oz.net\\Photoshop, Illustrator,
Premiere//
http://www.oz.net/~dru\\Bryce 3d & Bliss Paint//
CMC #1479\\ Mac G3/300 &
Media100//
"The unconscious no sooner touches us than we <are> it--we become
unconscious of ourselves. That is the age old danger, instinctively known
and feared by primative man, who himself stands so very close to this
pleroma. His unconscious is still uncertain, wobbling on its feet. It is
still childish, having just emerged from the primal waters."
-----------Carl Gustav Jung

***************************************************************************

Date:Wed, 20 Oct 1999 01:54:51 EDT
From:RBMengMail@AOL.COM
Subject: Orb, et al

In a message dated 10/20/99 4:02:35 AM, LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA writes:

<< I'm not looking for a lab test (unless someone knows of one) but just a
heads-up if anyone is having obvious problems I should look out for.

I read through the user reviews of the SCSI Orb drive (on the Macintouch??
website) and the general consensus was that they were a big improvement over
the Jazz and Syequest variants. A few experienced difficulties with badly
formatted factory disks bought afterwards -- but found them to be okay after
re-formatting once. No one has any real longterm experience yet and I plan
to purchase one whenever a local dealer stocks a SCSI external. PC drivers
for SCSI drives were just recently released, I believe. I think that they'll
"take off" once Apple or some other large PC manufacturer starts shipping
them as standard equipment or at least as an option.

R B Meng

Date:Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:31:02 +0100
From:volkmar klien <v.klien@CITY.AC.UK>
Subject: Re: MSP distortion after 3.5 hours

hi,
another question concerning the audiowerk8:
is anybody out there successfully running MSP with that soundcard?
i posted this question once already some time ago, but got no reactions.

cheers

volkmar klien

Date:Wed, 20 Oct 1999 10:31:22 EDT
From:Eric Lyon <Eric.Lyon@DARTMOUTH.EDU>
Subject: FFTease Morphine~ on 8600/300?

Paul Hertz wrote:

>I've been having a great time with the FFTease externals, but so =
far
>haven't been able to get morphine~ to do anything interesting. =
This may be
>because I'm working on a 300MHz 8600 and CPU usage reports 85 - =
99%.=20
>What's the base machine I'd need to run morphine~?

It might run on a 333MHz, definitely on a 400MHz.

>Also have wondered whether, when the CPU can't handle a patch in =
real time,
>I can still send output to a file.

That's a David Z question.

If you happen to have a Linux (Lintel) box, you can run many of =

these programs (and others) in
non-realtime. Some are at =
and others may be found at Christopher's PVNation site. Email =
penrose@sfc.keio.ac.jp for
details. These distributions contain source code, so they may be of =
interest even to those
who do not work with Unix.

Eric Lyon

Date:Wed, 20 Oct 1999 08:48:15 -0700
From:Benjamin Nevile/Towers Perrin <nevileb@TOWERS.COM>
Subject: USB audio/projection

tangentially related to max:

1. I'm expecting that as soon as somebody on this list has a
    working USB audio interface they'll let the rest of us know.
    I'm relying on that so that I can buy a nifty tangerine iBook.
    The tangerine iBook will help me to woo the red-headed
    beauty I see on the bus every morning. I am completely
    devoid of charisma - the iBook is my only hope. This is very
    important to me, so please let us know if you've got a
    working USB audio interface.
  1. Given just a powerbook, what would be the cheapest way
    to project the image of the screen onto a large visual of some
    sort? (large = about 5 feet tall. very dark environs.)

max gets cooler every day! i do not.
bbn

Date:Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:59:32 -0700
From:Peter Elsea <elsea@CATS.UCSC.EDU>
Subject: Terminal/Serial Control

>The serial
>output of Max doesn't respond though when I use 'message' to send 'Vxy'.
>The Max window gives me the error 'Serial: doesn't understand "Vxy"'

The serial object only understands Ints. To send "V x y" where x and y are
ints, send "86 x y".
The spell oject will convert text to ascii if you have a lot to send, if
there's only the occasional letter, you can learn the ascii equivalents by
hanging a number box on key and typing the letters you need.
Peter Elsea
Director, Electronic Music Studios
University of California, Santa Cruz
elsea@cats.ucsc.edu

Date:Wed, 20 Oct 1999 13:48:22 EDT
From:JohnBrit@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Various

In a message dated 10/19/99 20:02:35, Garth Paine wrote:

>2. I love the function that allows the connection of one outlet to
>many objects, but I would also like to see the reverse, where
it
>would be many outlets - probably of different patchers - to one

>inlet. I often use a trigger object or some such to gather a number
>of outputs that need to go to one place, but it is still tedious
>drawing each patch cord separately.

I totally agree that this would be a great timesaver.
It would also save much time and effort if segmented patch cords would align
when they are connected from bottom to top of patcher (for those of us who
are anal about diagonals). I use MacFlow every day and it does just that,
beautifully.
You can also type text onto the patchcords in MacFlow. This is an elegant way
of commenting flowcharts. Would this feature be useful in MAX?

I would like to thank Peter Swinnen for his prompt attention to my
observations.
I would also like to offer on olive branch to Stephen Kay, who has always been
most co-operative when I have asked for additional features to his objects.
Let's all play nice, huh?
JW

End of MAX Digest - 19 Oct 1999 to 20 Oct 1999 (#1999-303)
**********************************************************