Subject: MAX Digest - 1 Oct 1999 to 2 Oct 1999 (#1999-287)
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 00:00:11 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. max2 creator
  2. Orb removable HD (2)
  3. Title bar Removed
  4. MAX/MSP for surround ? (2)
  5. the bandaid solution
  6. mtr object
  7. new object foldername
  8. question on my 128x
  9. NY Max Users Group mtg October 6th
  10. mac sound input

Date:Sat, 2 Oct 1999 11:24:21 +0200
From:Peter Castine <pcastine@PRZ.TU-BERLIN.DE>
Subject: Re: max2 creator

On around 1=AD10=AD99 10:02, Erick Gallun said something like:

>>unless Miller did it, no one ever registered "max2" as
>>a creator type with Apple.
>Aaah. This explains why my patches that I am using to teach a hearing
>class (using MaxMspPlay) keep changing creator and opening my stand-alone
>app (which is in the same folder) when double-clicked. I've had to tell m=
y
>students to open MaxMspPlay first and then open the patches in order to
>keep from launching the stand-alone. Maybe I should use Resedit to give m=
y
>standalone its own creator code...

I don't quite see the connection between David's comment and the general
problem.

The general problem is that Max Stand-Alone apps inherit Max's creator
code unless you do something about it. And duplicate creator codes force
the Finder to make an ad hoc decision about which app to launch when a
document is opened from the desktop. Finder looks through the running
apps first, then (AFAICT) it looks through desktop file of the volume the
document is on, then it goes through all the other available volumes. If
it finds two apps on the same volume with the same creator, Finder seems
to chose the one with the younger modification date, although there may
be some other criteria involved and I would not rule out phase of the
moon.

Apple's creator registration process is supposed to prevent independent
developers accidentally choosing the same creator code. Which can happen
(and sometimes it happens not so accidentally--some folks who wrote an
app that did essentially the same thing as my Midi Typer apparently
decided MT's creator would be appropriate for their app. Which caused not
inconsiderable confusion to anyone who had both apps installed).

But whether or not the 'max2' creator is registered at Apple has no
bearing on the general problem. If you want to double-click docs for your
stand-alone, you've got to give the stand-alone its own creator code.

Of the approx. 4 billion codes not reserved by Apple, there ought to be a
few free still for you own use.

----------------- http://www.prz.tu-berlin.de/~pcastine/-----------------
Dr. Peter Castine| I am very pleased to announce that the
4-15 Music & Technology| 26th International Computer Music Conference
| will take place in Berlin in the year 2000.
| We look forward to seeing you here!

Date:Sat, 2 Oct 1999 11:28:26 -0400
From:David Crandall <dcrand1@GL.UMBC.EDU>
Subject: Orb removable HD

Is anyone using the new Orb removable? The specs look very good (2.2 Gb,
12+ MB/sec) and the price is right ($200/drive; $30/cartridge), but as
always the story will be told in terms of reliability.

tia,

dc

Date:Sat, 2 Oct 1999 12:09:58 -0400
From:Christopher Murtagh <chris@MUSIC.MCGILL.CA>
Subject: Re: Orb removable HD

At 11:28 AM -0400 10/2/99, David Crandall wrote:
>Is anyone using the new Orb removable? The specs look very good (2.2 Gb,
>12+ MB/sec) and the price is right ($200/drive; $30/cartridge), but as
>always the story will be told in terms of reliability.

The specs looked good for the SyJet as well. I finally gave mine
away to a kid who promised that he would take it apart so that no one
could ever use it. The SyJet and the Jaz were so bad, that I'm not
going anywhere near any removable media until it has been proven to
be reliable.

Chris

Date:Sat, 2 Oct 1999 10:13:54 EDT
From:Brooke Singer <brookesinger@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject: Title bar Removed

Does anyone know of a way to get rid of that nasty title bar around a
quicktime when using the movie object? I know imovie can be borderless but I
don't want my movie inside the patch window. This probably has come up a lot
before...but I am new. Thanks.

||Brooke Singer||
msinger@andrew.cmu.edu
brookesinger@hotmail.com

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

Date:Sat, 2 Oct 1999 10:51:29 +0000
From:Thomas Ciufo <Thomas_Ciufo@BROWN.EDU>

Subject: Re: MAX/MSP for surround ?

Greetings,
I'm wondering if anyone is using MAX/MSP for surround control ?
I am exploring two different approaches.
The first would use MSP to route and control spacialization and output through
a multi-channel audio card.
The second approach would use MAX to control discreet outputs (probably
Auxiliary sends) on a Yamaha 01V digital mixer.
Both projects would be attempting to control/route audio in real time to 5.1 or
more outputs.
Is anyone working on this or similar projects. I didn't see much in the MAX
digest....

Thomas Ciufo

Date:Sat, 2 Oct 1999 12:28:11 -0400
From:Christopher Murtagh <chris@MUSIC.MCGILL.CA>
Subject: Re: MAX/MSP for surround ?

At 10:51 AM +0000 10/2/99, Thomas Ciufo wrote:
>The first would use MSP to route and control spacialization and output through
>a multi-channel audio card.

I've been doing this for the last year and a half or so. I started
with a Korg1212 and now I'm using a MOTU2408 (I'm much happier with
the 2408). Also, some graduate students in Sound Recording here (at
McGill) presented some papers at AES where they were creating reverb
spaces etc. and much of their work/research was done with MSP and a
2408.

>The second approach would use MAX to control discreet outputs (probably
>Auxiliary sends) on a Yamaha 01V digital mixer.

Check out www.zeep.com. They have been doing this with an O2R for
quite some time.

Chris

Date:Sat, 2 Oct 1999 14:20:00 -0400
From:Robin Davies <robin@MUSIC.MCGILL.CA>
Subject: the bandaid solution

Erick wrote:
------
Aaah. This explains why my patches that I am using to teach a hearing
class (using MaxMspPlay) keep changing creator and opening my stand-alone
app (which is in the same folder) when double-clicked. I've had to tell
my students to open MaxMspPlay first and then open the patches in order to
keep from launching the stand-alone. Maybe I should use Resedit to give
my standalone its own creator code...
------

I find the simplest solution to this problem is an alias to Max on the
desktop - brute force - drag and drop.

Robin

"There is no reality except the one contained within us. That is why so
many people live an unreal life. They take the images outside them for

reality and never allow the world within to assert itself."
- Hermann Hesse

Date:Sat, 2 Oct 1999 13:11:21 -0500
From:bradford a blackburn <bblackbu@STUDENTS.UIUC.EDU>
Subject: mtr object

I'm trying to open a MIDI file in the mtr object using the read message.
I noticed that when you open a MIDI file using this method with the seq
object, a message confirming the action appears in the Max window.
However, I have not gotten this message for the mtr object even though
I've been able to select my MIDI file with the standard Open dialog box.
I don't believe the MIDI file is the issue, since I've tried this
procedure using the same MIDI file that worked for the seq object (in this
case--both a Vision single track MIDI file, and even a Max normal MIDI
file.)Is there something about the mtr object that I'm unaware of?
(I've already looked at the reference manual for both the mtr and seq
objects, as well as Tutorials 35 & 36.)Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Brad B.

Date:Sat, 2 Oct 1999 22:45:52 +0200
From:Peter Swinnen <peter.swinnen@PING.BE>
Subject: new object foldername

Dear Maxers,

I'm very glad to announce you that I just modified my <filename> object into a
brand new <foldername> object. This object lets you choose a file of a given
type, and outputs the full path to its directory as a symbol, ready for use with
the standard Max <folder> object. This is true, even if this folder is on a
different drive than your startup drive, or the one Max is running from!

You can download it from my web site http://www.ping.be/peterswinnenin the
Software section.

I have a 128x hooked up to a pc with a siig I/O expander 2s. It is
configured cause the 128x dig. file I run says so. I have
communication with the 128x. So then I go to open up on my pc
the 128x patch folder to set my midi patch. and a window comes
up saying midi interface could not be foundon com 2. I am on
Com 33E8. IRQ is 12. then I get a window that say 128x driver
not found. I can't figure this one out can anyone get me through
this.

thanks a bunch

lito in Albany

Chance favors the prepared mind

Date:Sat, 2 Oct 1999 19:27:29 -0500
From:Dafna Naphtali <dln1@ACF2.NYU.EDU>
Subject: NY Max Users Group mtg October 6th

Hi all in or around NY (sorry for the double posting but the first
one had a Subject re:thresh and you really are all welcome..:

The October NY Max/MSP Users Group meeting will be:

Wednesday October 6th 630-9:30pm
at Michael Schumacher's studio
5 Beekman St. #618
(212) 587-8107

Michael Schumacher will be presenting some of his work, and hopefully
one other person will be as well, Holland Hobson perhaps ? Please
let me know if any of you are interested in presenting at this or any
future meetings.

Date:Sun, 3 Oct 1999 01:30:32 +0100
From:Dominic Robson <dominic_robson@BIGFOOT.COM>
Subject: mac sound input

Ive had a strange problem with sound input on a G3 powerbook. The status
panel in MSP shows 0 sound inputs available and the sound input is set to
an unchangeable 'default'.

Other sound editing programmes are showing no sound input.....in soundedit
16 the sound format settings panel has something like 'the software driver
for your microphone is not properly installed' and it wont open the
recording options panel....it then promptly crashes when trying to record.
Bias peak also wont let you record with a 'peak was unable to open the
sound recording software'. Im presently using the sound manager v3.3 that
has always been used onthis machine. Im not using an external sound
card....

Any tips greatly appreciated...

dominic robson

End of MAX Digest - 1 Oct 1999 to 2 Oct 1999 (#1999-287)
********************************************************