Subject: MAX Digest - 17 Sep 1999 to 18 Sep 1999 (#1999-277)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 00:00:53 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. What's up in NY?
  2. Re : crashes continued
  3. connectix cam & BigEye
  4. crashes: some observations
  5. crashes continued
  6. For Sale: AudioMedia II NuBus card
  7. Reminder about posting to the MAX list
  8. saving bug
  9. mathematical problem (msp)
  10. overflow

Date:Fri, 17 Sep 1999 18:34:51 -0700
From:Matt Wright <matt@CNMAT.CNMAT.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject: Re: What's up in NY?

There's an "Art Wall" in Union Square (14th St and 3rd ave). You can't miss
it. As of about a week ago it uses Max/MSP to blast a sound out into one of
the noisiest intersections on the planet every hour between 9am and midnight,
on the hour. Noon and Midnight have longer and perhaps more musically
interesting sounds.

Edmund Campion composed the sounds and I did the Max programming.

This installation should be in place for decades (!), but you might want to
try to listen to it soon in case they get too many noise complaints and turn
it off...

Also, Dafna Naphtali runs a Max/MSP users group out of a very cool institution
called Harvestworks; check them out:www.harvestworks.org.

-Matt

Date:Sat, 18 Sep 1999 14:18:58 +0200
From:L=?ISO-8859-1?B?6g==?= Quan Ninh <ninh@MUSIQUE.NET>
Subject: Re : crashes continued

> From:Bob Ostertag <BOstertag@AOL.COM>
> Subject: crashes continued
[...]
> On my Mac, even if I set the relevant control panel such that the hard disk
> should NEVER spin down, in fact it still DOES. Once it has spun down, there
> seem to be some things Max/MSP can do which will crash the machine.

I solved the problem of untimely sleep down in reinitializing the hard disk, in
reinstalling the driver of the hard disk, in reinstalling the System Folder from
the install CD and in trashing immediately the control panel and reboot. I don't
know exactly how this control panel works but it seems that the hard disk is not
affected by it when it's not present at the first reboot.

Yes, this solution is very long..... Making loosing one day of work... :-(

Ninh

PS : sorry for my english
___________________________
ninh@musique.net
___________________________

Date:Sat, 18 Sep 1999 15:22:55 +0100
From:david stevens <david@RESONANT.DEMON.CO.UK>
Subject: connectix cam & BigEye

hi all,

i've been taking a look at BigEye from STEIM, and was thinking of getting a
Connectix camera to use with it. The thing is that the range has been taken over
by LogiTech, and they only seem to be doing a USB version for mac.

so does anyone know of somewhere that i can get hold of an older connectix type
vcam that will plug into my powerbook G3/233?
also - does anyone know if i _can_ connect one of these cameras directly into
the powerbook without a video card,
and has anyone one had any experience of using BigEye to control max? (i'm
assuming that i'll need to run BigEye on one machine, and max/msp on a seperate machine)

thanks

david

Date:Sat, 18 Sep 1999 10:42:30 +0000
From:John Phillips <jpch@TERRAGIZMO.NET>
Subject: crashes: some observations

Hi all

I'd like to respond to the thread about crashes with Max/MSP as I've had the
same kinds of things going on and here's what I've learned on a PB 333, OS
8.6, most recent Max/MSP. Thanks to several respondents to my first plea
for help on this, I've found it is true that the machine goes to sleep even
when "sleep" is off. Keeping the hard disk running more or less all the
time stops this problem. My patch ran for ten hours straight last night
with "sleep" enabled but the HD reading a file every minute or so. One of
the main things crashing my patch (sometimes the sound continued, cursor
dead, no restart) was having a couple of sfplay~ modules choosing files
without preloads. These crashes happened two hours for more into playing.
It helped enormously to have preloads for all my files. Another oddity:I
bought a Kensington Mouse-in-a-box: that crashed the patch after awhile. An
iMac mouse works fine. My MIDIsport interface so far is working well.

Anybody going to Beijing?

John
...............
....................................
John Phillips / sound artist: http://terragizmo.net

Date:Fri, 17 Sep 1999 21:46:35 +0200
From:Michael Wieser <m.k.w@MAGNET.AT>
Subject: Re: crashes continued

>> This is on a Powerbook 4000mhz

>Whee do I get one of those - man thats fast- I could use that ;-)
but thats only 4 Hz.... you realy need something like this? :-(((
Michael Wieser
m.k.w@magnet.at

Service and Audiodesign

Date:Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:55:47 -0800
From:anechoic_audio_engine <kim@ANECHOICMEDIA.COM>
Subject: For Sale: AudioMedia II NuBus card

hello
just a quick note to let people know that I have a AudioMedia II NuBus card
for sale
contact me directly for more information:
kim@anechoicmedia.com

__________________________
kim.cascone
sound.designer...composer

kim@anechoicmedia.com

full length:: blueCube( ) (Rastermusic)
comp track:: nb2e_Vortex.aiff (Mille Plateaux)
comp track:: vortexShedding (Caipirinha Music)
full length:: cathodeFlower (Ritornell/Mille Plateaux)

"the smooth always posseses a greater power of deterritorialization than
the striated."
- Deleuze & Guattari

Date:Sat, 18 Sep 1999 16:26:33 -0400
From:Christopher Murtagh <chris@MUSIC.MCGILL.CA>
Subject: Reminder about posting to the MAX list

Greetings Maxers,

A short reminder (and apology)...

Please don't post to the MAX listserv with formatted text (HTML, Rich
Text, VCF cards etc.) as the listserv doesn't deal with it very well. So,
please, plain (7-bit) text only. Apologies for the last digest, I usually
ask people to re-send, but I missed one.

Chris
MAX listserv admin

Date:Sat, 18 Sep 1999 22:41:46 +0200
From:Werner Funk <werner.funk@T-ONLINE.DE>
Subject: Re: saving bug

Automatic digest processor schrieb:

> Date:Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:37:21 -0700

> From:David Zicarelli <zicarell@SOUNDFLOWER.COM>
> Subject: saving bug

> The problem is that if a patcher loads a coll file that is saved as
> text, then you do a Save, that patcher will adopt the text format.
> In addition, the next time you do a Save As..., the text
> radio button will be selected.
> A workaround would be to save all your coll files that are
> loaded into your patcher in binary format, or embed all coll data
***************************************************************

please help the newbie. Which of both is Max's 'Save coll with patcher'?

> into your patcher.
> David Z.

- immer auf der Suche nach dem subtilen Klang:
- toujours a la recherche du son pur:
- siempre buscando al sonido claro:
- always working on a perfect sound:

Klangwerkstatt Werner Funk

Date:Sat, 18 Sep 1999 17:48:05 EDT
From:Eric Lyon <Eric.Lyon@DARTMOUTH.EDU>
Subject: mathematical problem (msp)

Robert Henke wrote:

Dear maxlist,
i failed solving a simple mathematiccal problem in msp :
i need to distort a sine wave into an almost sawtooth like shape. what i am
looking for is a patcher which has an input for a phase (e.g: from phasor~ )
and a distortion index for the shape of the wave form ( 0 could mean sine
wave, almost -1 could mean almost sawtooth falling, almost +1 almost sawtooth
rising ) this input does not have to be a signal input, float would be also ok
. and of cource a signal output for the waveform
any idea ? thanks in advance!

Greetings Robert,

You could try my phasemod~ object under:

Lots of nasty harmonics for filter-sweeping joy.

Eric Lyon

Date:Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:53:53 +0100
From:Roger Carruthers <roger.carruthers@VIRGIN.NET>
Subject: Re: overflow

on the 10th, Jeff Rhona wrote about overflow problems with Max/OMS/Cubase;
I get all kinds of problems like this running Cubase 4.0r3 with or without

Max; It's forever giving me "too much midi info" messages, sometimes even
when there's no midi being generated at all ! Didn't someone on the list
(Peter Elsea, I think) mention that there are bugs in Cubase's OMS
implementation, which Steinberg say they will fix ?
When I spoke to the Steinberg UK support line, they said they recommend tha=
t
people don't use OMS with Cubase =AD what good is that ? Unfortunately there'=
s
no mention of OMS in the long list of bug-fixes/improvements in v4.1. Now
that Cubase supports midi input to it's audio plug-ins, it would be great t=
o
be able to use Max with it without having to worry about it crashing.

End of MAX Digest - 17 Sep 1999 to 18 Sep 1999 (#1999-277)
**********************************************************