Subject: MAX Digest - 14 Sep 1999 to 15 Sep 1999 (#1999-274)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 00:00:29 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. V1
  2. Help with crashes
  3. Max and Quicktime
  4. 3D-Sensor>Midi
  5. Max and QuickTime - addendum
  6. What=?ISO-8859-1?B?tA==?=s up in NY?
  7. Overflow
  8. iMac
  9. help with crashes
  10. <no subject>

Date:Wed, 15 Sep 1999 08:26:54 +0000
From:andy g <host@PODCENTRE.DEMON.CO.UK>
Subject: V1

hi again

just renewing the call for anyone with experience of running the Doremi
Labs V1 with Max serial objects. Any pointers or tips (patchers?)
gratefully accepted.

cheers

andy

Date:Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:31:33 +0200
From:jvkr <jvkr@KONCON.NL>
Subject: Re: Help with crashes

Bob Ostertag wrote:

>do YOU have similar problems?
>ideas of what to do?

Once in a while I perform with Max/MSP on stage. The circomstances can be
very differing. Sometimes I work with fimiliar Macs, sometimes with
strange ones, with any version of system software, sometimes with the
application Max, sometimes I bring my patch as app (app-builder). After a
sound check, if everything is working, I change nothing, not even turn of
DSP. Until now I had one crash (at the beginning of the performance the
Mac had died), and that was when an unstable external disk was connected
(stupid!).

Always I take a lot of time cleaning the extensions folder, making sure
that extensions I don't need, or that look very dangerous, go out and
disappear. Normaly only a few extensions are left. To me this seems the
most important thing to do to make a Mac more stable.

Hope this helps.

Johan

Date:Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:05:26 +0200
From:Thierry Fournier <thfo@PLANETE.NET>
Subject: Max and Quicktime

Hello everybody,

I am planning an exposition in january where I must make running 5 Macs :
- one for the sound and spatialization with Max-MSP,
- 4 others running simultaneously for video, sending video signal to 4 different
video projectors.
All of them must be synchronized and the four video doesn't start at the same
time.

We plan to do a simple QT patcher for every video-Mac, receiving a synchro
signal from the sound-Mac which will be the master. Each Quicktime file will be
about 3 minutes long, 1024 x 768, full-screen, and without any kind of
compression, so it will be heavy.

My question : is it realistic to play such a QT file with Max without time
distorsion - and what minimum type (of processor) should we need for do that ?
How does Max manages the RAM with QT files -> what is the ratio we must observe
between the RAM allocated to Max and the actual size of the QT file played ? Has
anybody a similar experience he or she should talk about ?

Thierry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thierry Fournier
atelier 4 rue Martel 75010 Paris France - T: 33 (0)1 4022 0390

Date:Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:20:16 +0200
From:Michael Wieser <m.k.w@MAGNET.AT>
Subject: 3D-Sensor>Midi

Hi!

Some months ago someone mailed an URL for a box which decodes a 3D-position
of a moving "targt" to MIDI.
Of course I can`t fing this URL on my PC.
So please mail this again...

Thanks!

to 4 Gigabytes each.

Thierry

Thierry Fournier
atelier 4 rue Martel 75010 Paris France - T: 33 (0)1 4022 0390

Date:Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:39:42 +0100
From:Sven Erga <sven.erga@NOTAM.UIO.NO>
Subject: What=?ISO-8859-1?B?tA==?=s up in NY?

Hello!

My name is Sven Erga. I live in Oslo, Norway. I work as a sound producer,
engineer, designer, programmer etc..formusic, theatre and installations. I
have used MAX a lot in my work, and I am now delving into MSP. I just
recently completed some real time sound-work using MAX/MSP in a play at the
National Theatre in Oslo.

The thing is: I am going to visit NY for the first time on sunday, and will
stay for a week. I am very much interested in what is happening regarding
MAX in NY: Events, concerts, and people to meet which could share an
interest or a beer. I would very much appreciate some advice.
Feel free to mail me directly.

Best Regards,
Sven.

PS. By the way,- When is AES going to take place?

Check out: http://www.notam.uio.no

Date:Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:53:06 EDT
From:JohnBrit@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Overflow

In a message dated 9/10/99 20:01:53, jr wrote:

> I wrote a little MAX patch to display certain controller data. The patcher
>simply has a ctlin, bendin, and touchin going to some sliders and number
>boxes for readout. Nothing more. I saved as a collective, used the
>application instaler to create a little app and put it on the target
>machine, running Cubase via OMS.
> Every time you hit stop on Cubase it sends a ton of controller data to
>reset everything in the room. With my MAX app running you get an OMS MIDI
>overflow mesage every time you hit stop. And it continued after the MAX app
>was quit! So now I'm pretty curious about this. Make sense to anybody?

Two possibilities you might want to look out. If the sequencer is set to
chase controllers, it might well set all controllers to their initial values
for the start of the sequence when you stop the sequencer. I don't know
Cubase but I'm sure you can turn chase controllers off. Worth a try. The
other posiibility is a loop. If your sliders and number boxes are used to
send data out, then you must use "set" to input their values or you will have
a loop. Unpackx is very useful for this as you can automatically prepend set
to all values of an incoming list.
You could also save a good few objects in your patch by using midiin followed
by midiparse rather than using ctlin,bendin and touchin.
JW

Date:Wed, 15 Sep 1999 20:22:51 +0200
From:Kasper T Toeplitz <kasper@CLUB-INTERNET.FR>
Subject: Re: iMac

>Subject: iMac
>Hi all again,
>Do any of you have experience of Max/MSP with the iMac? I haven't seen
>the iMac mentioned on this list so is there a problem here?

It does work - and works very well . In some 4 or so months it crashed only
once (and I belive this was MY fault), and Max/MSP is running almost every
day on my iMac (the very first one, bondi blue 233). I did not even had
problems in doing things which are known to be kind of problematic,
sometimes (such as recording Loooooooong (30min++) files to the hard disk
withsfrecord~), and it all worked(and the screen size is not SO
problemetic, as you can change the resolution and it still works well.

try it!

Kasper

Date:Wed, 15 Sep 1999 20:22:16 +0200
From:jose manuel berenguer <jmcoclea@INTERCOM.ES>
Subject: help with crashes

YES, I DO

but not with MAX/MSP, only with MAX 3.5.8. I'm having errors 2 and 12 when
receiving MIDI information and working with movie objects

cheers

jose manuel

>Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 00:12:52 EDT
>From:
Bob Ostertag <BOstertag@AOL.COM>
>Subject: help with crashes
>Hellooo List:
>I have a problem with MSP crashing after it has been running a long time.
>It always crashes with a message saying the application unexpectedly quit due
>to system error 2.
>usually, though not always, the machine then freezes and can only be
>restarted with a hard reset.
>others I have talked to seem to have similar problems.
>do YOU have similar problems?
>ideas of what to do?

nosotros tambien 3000ya.com http://www.3000ya.com
___________________________________________________________________________

Date:Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:47:52 -0500
From:Don Malone <dmalone@ROOSEVELT.EDU>
Subject: <no subject>

my new g3 powerbook makes a loud high pitched sound
didn't someone here have a fix recently
i can't seem to find it in the archives
happy tunes
don malone

it takes us all

End of MAX Digest - 14 Sep 1999 to 15 Sep 1999 (#1999-274)
**********************************************************