Subject: MAX Digest - 26 Aug 1999 to 27 Aug 1999 (#1999-256)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 00:00:06 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. Lots of sound files in memory
  2. More on that SoftStep thing
  3. Ostertag Max/MSP concert
  4. Pwerbooks and USB
  5. USB midi
  6. FireWire Video grabbing and MIDI USB

Date:Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:32:38 -0400
From:Eric Singer <eric@ERICSINGER.COM>
Subject: Lots of sound files in memory

This may be a stupid question, but...

If I want to load, say, 100 sound files into memory and have them available
for playback (from groove~ or play~ for example), will I need to have 100
corresponding buffer~ objects?

Eric

Date:Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:31:42 -0700
From:Charles Lyons <charleslyons@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: Re: More on that SoftStep thing

Tim said:
> There is virtually no resemblance between SoftStep and KeyKit,
> unless you're counting the number of rectangles that appear in the GUI.

That, and the fact that it has specialized sequence or rhythm generating
modules like Kboom. I keep forgetting that Max has complex objects too,
things like detonate and timeline, mainly because I never use them.
Certainly in terms of functionality they're very different.

Stephen Kay suggested:
> If you're interested in "MAX like" things that run on the
> PC, you might want to check out Algorithmic Composer

I'm not, really, except in the sense of being aware of what the
"competition" is up to. What I am interested in is seeing what other
non-traditional sequencers do and how they approach the same problems in
different ways...I got the idea of notes that play only a certain
percentage of the time from KeyKit, in fact. Thanks for the link.

Date:Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:23:27 EDT
From:Bob Ostertag <BOstertag@AOL.COM>
Subject: Ostertag Max/MSP concert

Hi all,

For those of you in the SF Bay area,
I will be going a solo gig entirely in Max/MSP this Sunday.

info:
Sunday Aug 29

Beanbender's at the Fine Arts Cinema, 2451 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley
(5 blocks south of Downtown Berkeley BART)

7:30 a screening of Nosferatu (1922), accompanied by live percussion
performance of Steven Garling from East Berlin

9:00Susan Rawcliffe, ceramic flutes

9:30Bob Ostertag, solo electronics

$8

x
Bob Ostertag

Date:Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:25:02 EDT
From:Bob Ostertag <BOstertag@AOL.COM>
Subject: Pwerbooks and USB

I have been using a 400Mhz powerbook with the MIDIMan MIDIsport and an
unpowered USB hub with a joystick and mouse also on the USB bus. No problems
at all.

Also, I find the on-board audio-out quality quite satisfactory, surely for
live gigs.

x
Bob Ostertag

Date:Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:52:18 +0200
From:Le Quan Ninh <ninh@MUSIQUE.NET>
Subject: Re: USB midi

>Date:Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:25:20 -0700
>From:
Matt Wright <matt@CNMAT.CNMAT.BERKELEY.EDU>
>Subject: Re: USB midi
>[...]
>Our experience with Opcode USB MIDI products was more sketchy.
> [...]

Please, could you be more precised about this more sketchy experience ?

Ninh

Date:Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:06:49 +0200
From:jose manuel berenguer <jmcoclea@INTERCOM.ES>
Subject: FireWire Video grabbing and MIDI USB

Hello,

I'm actually working with a G3 at 400 MHz and I'd want capture video from
its FireWire ports. It is indeed running MacO 8.6 whith FireWire v2.1 and
OMS Opcode v 2.3.7. Anybody knows any Max Object to do this? As far as I

know VideoIn wasn't adapted to PowerPC. PowerPC and FireWire compliant
seems too much early, but may be it's possible... Any body knows if there
is any update?

Concerning the USB MIDI interfacing, my experience is that may exist some
conflict there because very often mouse or klavier stop working suddenly.
If I detect this, unpluging and pluging again the device, things work
again. If not, always I get a system big crash. This happened with a
Midiman USB MIDISPORT 2 x 2. MIDI INPUT was an I-Cube device with 32
simultaneous analogic inputs.

Yesterday I installed a gPort universal serial adapter by Griffin
Technology in the internal modem port and connected sometimes to an old
Midiman MACMAN, sometimes to a Roland SC88. I can't say for now that things
work better, because I haven't had time enough to test the whole
possibilities of the system, but which is interesting is that memory used
by MacOs has decreased from 25M or more to 23,7M. Also, using USB to MIDI
communications, system memory needings where very variable. Now, with this
gPort thing it remains stable at 23,7 M.

Should some firmware update change this USB's behaviour in MIDI communications?

Many thanks

Jose Manuel

___________________________________________________________________________
Jose Manuel Berenguer

Coclea.
tel/fax 34-93-2857150. tel/fax 34-972-795002
jmcoclea@intercom.es http://usuarios.intercom.es/coclea

Orquestra del Caos. tel 34-93-3064137. fax 34-93-3064113
caos@cccb.org http://www.cccb.es/caos

nosotros tambien 3000ya.com http://www.3000ya.com
___________________________________________________________________________

End of MAX Digest - 26 Aug 1999 to 27 Aug 1999 (#1999-256)
**********************************************************