Subject: MAX Digest - 14 Aug 1999 to 15 Aug 1999 (#1999-243)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 00:00:43 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. pow~ base value
  2. internal audio bus / akai 3200 (2)
  3. Powerbook CD-rom control
  4. controlling cd objects
  5. adc~ input gain
  6. Korg1212+b&wG3+2940U2B

Date:Sun, 15 Aug 1999 06:58:32 +0100
From:Benjamin Thigpen <Benjamin.Thigpen@IRCAM.FR>
Subject: Re: pow~ base value

johan wrote:

>Once I had problems when I took a patch using pow~ that was made under
>the latest version of MSP, to a machine with an older version of MSP.
>Probably a bug that has been fixed in the latest version. Which one are
>you using? (Your patch works fine with me.)

And Kevin Walker wrote:

>The results you describe are different than the ones I get with your
>patch. What version of Max/MSP are you using?

Thanks to both of you - this is probably the problem. I tested the patch
on two machines, but I'm not sure what version they're running. I'll find
out (and update) on Monday.

I wonder if this is behind my other problem - setting the loop points of
groove~ with signals. No one responded to that message, so I suppose it
works fine for everyone else ????

Feeling pretty silly,

Ben

Date:Sun, 15 Aug 1999 23:27:43 +1000
From:"Sensor.E Overlobe" <overt@OVERLOBE.COM>
Subject: internal audio bus / akai 3200

>Since I find IAC busses for midi very helpful, I was wondering if there is
>something similar for audio.

yeah, i was thinking this lately.. someone showed me the control app for a
pulsar(?) sound card on their pc last week, and it taps into the asio bus
as well as any other sound making app running - very cool. it also lets you
use waves plugins for internal effect send/returns, with dsp happening on
the card
but the patch cords (in shaded 3d) and interface was a mess
seriously.. would something like quicktime (with an i/o) be a good way to
do this? as it exists at the system level like OMS -
maybe something for the wish list ;D

>I've tried getting a new system from AKAI, but, no go as they only put
>systems for newer samplers on their page.

you can always try the akai list

is pc specific, but it may help your scsi problem

looks pretty good too - but again, pc based. - there seems to be a
termination problem with them?

btw.. putting a new os in your akai may be easier if you have access to a
wintel box

also.. anyone here using an s2000 might want to check
out.. as it has a good explanation of sysex implementation on these models
- like how to change the effects and program parameters via sysex - in
plain english (as opposed to akai's pain english implementation tomb ;-)

o/ . . . .. .. .. ... ... ......____________>>>>>>>
|\
/ \
~~~~~

Date:Sun, 15 Aug 1999 13:29:49 -0700
From:Clay Chaplin <cchaplin@SHOKO.CALARTS.EDU>
Subject: Powerbook CD-rom control

Hello Maxers. . .

Forgive me if this issue has been covered in the past, but I was wondering
if there is a way to get the "cd" object in Max to control an internal
cd-rom drive on a G3 Powerbook series. The object seems to find some sort of
information about the drive, but when given any sort of command, I get a -21
error. (whatever that means!) I've tried changing the ID number in the
object etc with no luck, but I think maybe the internal CD drive is on a
different bus? Anyway, the object can locate and control external CD-rom
drives without any issues. Anyone have any ideas or know of a different
object that might work instead of the " cd" object?

thank you . . .

-Clay

Clay Chaplin
Composer/Video Artist
CEAIT & Integrated Media: Calarts

----------

Date:Sun, 15 Aug 1999 17:30:31 +0200
From:Jeffrey Burns <jeff@BERLIN.SNAFU.DE>
Subject: controlling cd objects

>I was wondering if you could help me put together a Max object that will
>trigger
>CD-ROMS, and play them back in sync with midi notes. I need to be able to
>control up to 8 different rooms at once with midi note ON triggering the
>sequence. I need to be able to trigger any CD-ROM to playback a track,
>regardless of what other CD-ROMS are playing and what ever other sequences
>are running.
This application is for a haunted attraction, where lights/valves will
>be switched with a midi note on event. I'd like to use one computer to run
>it all. MOTU's 1208/2048 multi-channel sound board was recommended, so I
>wouldn't have to use so many CD-ROM's, and instead playback different sound
>files for the different rooms. I just got MAX and I don't have very much
>experience with it, or MAX/MSP. Is it concievable to get a system like I've
>discribed together in 4 weeks? Any assistance/patchs/objects/helpful hints
>would be greatly appreciated. Thanks-

If you have a bunch of cdrom drives, you can address them
individually by making as many cd objects in your patch whose
arguments correspond to the SCSI id's of the drives. However, if your
system is rather modern, it my be just easier to put all the sound
files on your hd, in which case you will get quicker response, using
the sfplay~ object.

Jeff Burns

Date:Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:53:07 -0400
From:Neal Farwell <nfarwell@FAS.HARVARD.EDU>
Subject: Re: adc~ input gain

Hi Jeff

This won't help much if you have to record in MSP...

but an app. that gives unambiguous and accurate control of record levels
and clipping (certainly better than Peak) is the freeware "Coaster 1.0"
from the usual download sites. It captures and indicates *every* clip, and
lets you save files with the creator id of your choice. I don't know if
it's apple-scriptable, for potential integration with Max?

Current/recent macs' internal hardware is supposed to give a record-level
range of (if I remember correctly) some 60dB in 1.5dB steps. Applications
often seem to jump it in bigger steps, I don't know why.

Neal

Date:Sun, 15 Aug 1999 17:54:48 +0200
From:volkmar klien <v.klien@CITY.AC.UK>
Subject: Re: internal audio bus / akai 3200

i actually own a pulsar-card and for me it works brilliantly.
the inface is truly ugly but does do its job.
i am looking forword to be able to use the card (4 sharc dsp sitting on it)
to do dsp for max/msp, i.e. max controlling things like filtering, mixing,
synthesis on pulsar via midi, pulsar streams the sound back into msp, msp
minces it delicately and pipes it out through one of pulsars 20 outs.
the people of creamware said [some time ago] that they would release a mac
version end of this year.- at the moment it's pc-only.
(http://www.creamware.com)

volkmar

____________________________________
volkmar klien
city university, london
v.klien@city.ac.uk

----------
>From: "Sensor.E Overlobe" <overt@OVERLOBE.COM>
>To: MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA
>Subject: internal audio bus / akai 3200
>Date: Sun, Aug 15, 1999, 3:27 pm

>>Since I find IAC busses for midi very helpful, I was wondering if there is
>>something similar for audio.
> yeah, i was thinking this lately.. someone showed me the control app for a
> pulsar(?) sound card on their pc last week, and it taps into the asio bus
> as well as any other sound making app running - very cool. it also lets you
> use waves plugins for internal effect send/returns, with dsp happening on
> the card
> but the patch cords (in shaded 3d) and interface was a mess
> seriously.. would something like quicktime (with an i/o) be a good way to
> do this? as it exists at the system level like OMS -
> maybe something for the wish list ;D
>>I've tried getting a new system from AKAI, but, no go as they only put
>>systems for newer samplers on their page.
> you can always try the akai list
> http://www.antisleep.com/akai/
> http://members.tripod.com/~TroyWoodfield/s3200scsi.html
> is pc specific, but it may help your scsi problem
> http://members.planet.it/freewww/icecool/akaifaq.htm
> looks pretty good too - but again, pc based. - there seems to be a
> termination problem with them?
> btw.. putting a new os in your akai may be easier if you have access to a
> wintel box
> also.. anyone here using an s2000 might want to check
> http://members.tripod.com/~TroyWoodfield/sysex.html
> out.. as it has a good explanation of sysex implementation on these models
> - like how to change the effects and program parameters via sysex - in
> plain english (as opposed to akai's pain english implementation tomb ;-)
o/ . . . .. .. .. ... ... ......____________>>>>>>>
|\
/ \
> ~~~~~

Date:Sun, 15 Aug 1999 13:14:54 -0600
From:Adam Schabtach <nebulous@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: Re: Korg1212+b&wG3+2940U2B

> > after updating to 8.6 the korg extension crashes the mac
>be sure to get rid of virtual memory,
>I remember having this problem just after having installed a fresh new OS

>which puts virtual memory by defaults, and Korg extension can't stand it !

Yes, do indeed check your virtual-memory setting. I was bitten by
this problem when I updated to 8.6. After 10 or so minutes of
near-frantic troubleshooting, I read the ReadMe for the 1212I/O, was
reminded of the conflict with VM, checked my Memory control panel,
and sure enough, updating to 8.6 had turned on VM. I turned it off
and the Korg extension seems to work fine under 8.6.

--Adam

Adam Schabtachnebulous@earthlink.net
see me: http://home.earthlink.net/~nebulous/adamcam/

"If it ain't broke, break it!"
--Name withheld to protect the mischievous

End of MAX Digest - 14 Aug 1999 to 15 Aug 1999 (#1999-243)
**********************************************************