Subject: MAX Digest - 5 Aug 1999 to 6 Aug 1999 (#1999-234)
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 00:00:00 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. Controllers... (2)
  2. OMS QT Conflict
  3. controllers
  4. serial port busy
  5. Peavey 1600
  6. Nasty user interfaces
  7. 2408 & ADAT input

Date:Thu, 5 Aug 1999 22:22:51 -0500
From:Ed Hartley <e-hartley@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject: Re: Controllers...

Stephen Kay wrote:

> >No Stephen! no ! no !!!!! It`s bad ugly and evil. Yes. It has the most
> >horrible user interface i have ever seen im my whole live ( and i own a
> pcm
> >80...) How can so many arrow buttons, page, exit,enter buttons be so
> >unintuitive. If hell exists , than it looks like this.
> >/ end of personal opinion /
> >
> >rob.
> You're entitled to your opinion. Mine still stands - I like it.
> If you want to really see hell, buy a Yamaha keyboard :-)
> Stephen Kay

How 'bout Windows?

Date:Fri, 6 Aug 1999 00:20:33 -0400
From:johnny DeKam <johnny@NODE.NET>
Subject: OMS QT Conflict

Just a suggestion...

try deinstalling the QuickTime Music extension only, and also the OMS
QuickTime Music driver -- since this is the area where these two systems
intersect.

-- johnny DeKam

> Date:Thu, 5 Aug 1999 16:34:54 -0500
> From:
Todd Welbourne <tgwelbou@FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU>
> Subject: OMS and Quicktime
> Dear Maxers,

>My PB1400 had been running very slowly for weeks-couldn't find the
> culprit untill I finally broke down and bought ConflictCatcher8 which
> immediately pointed to a conflict between OMS (2.3.7) and the Quicktime
> (4.0.2) group. Sure enough when one or the other is off my machine goes
> back to normal. I really don't want to have to chose between these two
> extensions! Does anyone else know anything about this problem?? TW

Date:Thu, 5 Aug 1999 22:06:50 -0700
From:Charles Lyons <charleslyons@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: controllers

I'm also a Peavey PC-1600x owner and fan. The only thing I've seen with
more controllers is the Doepfer Regelwerk (also a nice bit of gear), and
from what I've seen the Peavey is easier to program. I happen to like the
user interface, though it takes some getting used to, and I think the box
as a whole is pretty well designed. 16 7-bit faders, 16 matching buttons, a
dial that can fine tune any fader or act as a 17th fader (by linking it to
one of the pedal inputs), two footpedal inputs, and a very smart and
capable MIDI spec. The flashier things it won't do can be done in Max
instead, and (depending on where you live) you can get two of 'em for the
price of one Regelwerk. I'm very pleased with it.

Date:Fri, 6 Aug 1999 00:10:45 -0600
From:James McCartney <asynth@IO.COM>
Subject: Re: Controllers...

>From:Robert Henke <imbalance@BERLIN.SNAFU.DE>
>Stephen Kay said in Controllers... at 05/Aug/1999, Thu 18:56:38.
>> I'm not sure about the double-precision Xbend values, but I have a
>> Peavey PC-1600, and like it very much.
>No Stephen! no ! no !!!!! It`s bad ugly and evil. Yes. It has the most
>horrible user interface i have ever seen im my whole live ( and i own a =
>pcm
>80...) How can so many arrow buttons, page, exit,enter buttons be so
>unintuitive. If hell exists , than it looks like this.

I agree. The one I like is where you have to press "enter" to exit one
of the screens even though there is an "exit" key.. ..but that one
doesn't do it.

--- james mccartneyjames@audiosynth.comhttp://www.audiosynth.com
If you have a PowerMac check out SuperCollider2, a real time synth program:
ftp://www.audiosynth.com/pub/updates/SC2.1.9.sea.hqx>

Date:Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:33:31 -0600
From:Steve Anderson <steve.anderson@SONOMA.EDU>
Subject: Re: serial port busy

Reply to:RE: serial port busy

>... it really messed with my serial connection such that no serial
>communications software can see the serial port (no matter how it's
>configured or what it's connected to---in this case a global positioning
>satellite receiver).

If you haven't already, make sure Appletalk and file sharing are turned
OFF at startup.

Disable, by taking out of Extensions folder, PrintMonitor. ie, disable
background printing.
These will make the printer port (network, com 1) busy and generally
screw up.
These features have tyed up serial com for me.

steve anderson
Laser Dreams

Date:Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:55:08 -0600
From:Steve Anderson <steve.anderson@SONOMA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Peavey 1600

Reply to:RE: Peavey 1600

>>No Stephen! no ! no !!!!! It`s bad ugly and evil. Yes. It has the most
>>horrible user interface i have ever seen im my whole live

I use (and love) the Peavey 1600 as the basic user interface (MIDI
controller)
for a Choreographics laser projector. It has 16 faders, buttons and a
data wheel.
It has been a reliable performer, the sliders are smooth & feel good.
They lock value when released and pick up smoothly where they left off,
when pressed,
just like a good slider should. You can even slightly jog, or "bump" to
update,
(when the MIDI value has been changed under them by the program).
The little green LCD window is the interface that Mr. Henke doesn't like,
but, we use the computer screen for most of these controller readouts.
So, "user interface" may have two meanings here, like, "monitor" does.
It works as the mechanical interface and control surface, not as a
console window.

steve anderson
Laser Dreams

Date:Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:07:08 EDT
From:JohnBrit@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Nasty user interfaces

In a message dated 8/5/99 19:56:20, SK wrote:

>If you want to really see hell, buy a Yamaha keyboard

How about a Kawai K5 or Roland TD7 ?
I own both of these and existed in hell with them until I wrote complete
front ends for them in MAX. Remember (for those of you old enough ) ARP,Moog
and EMS systems in the late sixties/early seventies with dozens of knobs and
patchcords - sure was easier to make a change to any parameter than with one
window, two cursor buttons and a data entry knob. That is hell. (The Japanese
seem to specialise in these). A well written MAX front end can make using
these nightmarish devices as easy as turning a knob on a Mini Moog.
JW

Date:Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:11:26 -0400
From:David Brooke Wetzel <dwetzel@PEABODY.JHU.EDU>
Subject: 2408 & ADAT input

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999 11:43:51 -0700 Alex Stahl <alex@PIXAR.COM> wrote:

> >>Is anyone out there using ADAT digital input through a MOTU 2408 into
> >>Max/MSP?
> Yes, with 8 channels from a Yamaha 03D console, 8 back out to a Paris
> MEC>and to the console, everything routed through a midiman Digipatch and a
> bunch of 16.5-foot long fiber patch cords.
> >>On more than 8 channels?
> >
> Not yet, but I'll probably try it soon. Is it not working for you?

Thanks. I'm exploring some options for a very high-profile gig which can
_not_ fail, so I don't want to be the one to test a new technology. Good
to know someone else is making it work successfully. I had this idea of
taking digital output from a sampler and doing some additional mixing and
spatialization effects in MSP. Of course it has to be very consistent and
work perfectly every time. How reliable has it been for you? Can you tell
me anything about latency? My other question about going beyond the first
8 channels is how MSP picks up on the bank choices you make in the MOTU
interface. For instance, if you want S/PDIF input into MSP, and you can
only select that on Bank C (normally channels 17-24) on the 2408, how
could these show up in MSP (which is limited to 16 channels so far)? Would
I disable bank B and have Bank C show up in MSP as channels 9 and 10?

I realize I have the resources to try this myself, and I will as soon as I
have time. If anyone else has tried this already though, perhaps you can
save me a headache or two. In the meantime, I'll see if I can get it
working, and I'll let you know. Thanks again.

/*--------------------------------------------------------------
David Brooke Wetzelhttp://www.peabody.jhu.edu/~dwetzel
Clarinet/Bass ClarinetThe Peabody Institute of the
Computer Music Instruction,Johns Hopkins University
Performance, and Concert ProductionBaltimore, Maryland
----------------------------------------------------------------*/

End of MAX Digest - 5 Aug 1999 to 6 Aug 1999 (#1999-234)
********************************************************