Subject: MAX Digest - 31 Jul 1999 to 1 Aug 1999 (#1999-229)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 00:00:01 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. Q: Multichannel sfrecord~
  2. wc object
  3. PowerBook audio solutions (2)

Date:Sun, 1 Aug 1999 16:56:32 +1000
From:Garth Paine <garth@ACTIVATEDSPACE.COM.AU>
Subject: Re: Q: Multichannel sfrecord~

Hi Bertram

>I know that sfrecord~ can record up to 8 tracks, but I cannot seem to find
>any program, apart from MSP, that can handle more than a stereo AIFF or SD2
>file.

Can't help you with this one, but if you make your patch produce a
tone with a sharp attack, then you would be able to align all mono
files in Protools in post-production.

Garth

Check out some of the tracks off my new CD at http://www.activatedspace.com.au
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.
Activated Space
. Composer, Sound Designer, Installation Artist
.. Interactives Designer, Exhibition Consultant
........ph. 61 3 95720133
garth@activatedspace.com.au

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Date:Sun, 1 Aug 1999 12:30:29 +0200
From:krl <kliem@MESO.NET>
Subject: Re: wc object

>does anyone know where I can find the "wc" object?

did you check the bathroom?

krl

www.meso.net
------------------------------------------------
boom--tish----boomtish--boom--tish----boomtish--

Date:Mon, 2 Aug 1999 12:45:38 +1000
From:David Rodger <auricle@ALPHALINK.COM.AU>

Subject: Re: PowerBook audio solutions

Nick Rothwell wrote:
>Could this possibly be the Apple Not Caring About the Music Market
>scenario again? (Or still?)
[...]
>This isn't an option for the iBook (a.k.a. "Barbie's First Computer")
>since it doesn't have PCMCIA either. Great stuff.

I don't really care about this stuff until I get a computer which can run
any of it! (Still limping along with a hot-rodded IIci. I seem to
remember Nick writing about having purchased a much newer machine than his
PB100 or 170 or whatever he was using for live performance, so I think I
now beat him as having the most primitive MAX set-up of anyone on the list!
Note: primitive != useless.)

Anyway, let me temper your annoyance at the lack of facilties on the iBook
with a few comments from Adam Engst. Apologies to other subscribers to
TidBITS.

>**Target Markets** -- The iBook has been a topic of discussion on
>TidBITS Talk, with some people expressing disappointment and
>others raving about how perfect it is for their modest needs.
><http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tlkthrd=723>
>Remember that the iBook is not designed for professional use, and
>as much as a typical TidBITS reader might want additional features
>and capabilities, many of us aren't the target audience. Apple is
>targeting the consumer market with the iBook, and the designers
>obviously thought long and hard about which features could be cut
>to save money while at the same time differentiating the iBook
>from the PowerBook G3. Unless some as-yet-unforeseen problem
>surfaces, I think we'll have another iMac-style hit on our hands.

Now, most people here are, I venture to say, professional users with more
than an interest in the Internet and using MS Word. We're musicians so are
notoriously _poor_ professionals, but professionals nonetheless. Besides,
it seems to me that, with all the audio and MIDI compatibility problems
which seem to be occurring with the latest and greatest (blue G3s), folks
would be better to grab a recent second-hand PPC which they _know_ (or can
easily determine, thanks to knowledgeable and helpful list members) will
work.

I guess we'd like the emerging generation of computer users to be
encouraged to do audio and video and all that cool stuff, so maybe it's a
case of education and, let's face it, honest marketing to inform the
kiddies of what is and isn't possible with the various machines.

My 0.02 cents (diminished by age and supposed obsolescence) worth.

David Rodger:Audio Engineer, RLSS Lifeguard Trainer, Writing & Research
mailto:auricle@alphalink.com.au
=========================================================================
Unshackle the Internet: no auto-HTML'd e-mail, no ms-tnef, no .vcf

Date:Sun, 1 Aug 1999 23:07:21 -0400
From:Christopher Murtagh <chris@MUSIC.MCGILL.CA>
Subject: Re: PowerBook audio solutions

At 10:45 PM -0400 8/1/99, David Rodger wrote:
>I don't really care about this stuff until I get a computer which can run
>any of it! (Still limping along with a hot-rodded IIci. I seem to
>remember Nick writing about having purchased a much newer machine than his

>PB100 or 170 or whatever he was using for live performance, so I think I
>now beat him as having the most primitive MAX set-up of anyone on the list!
>Note: primitive != useless.)

Well, I'm not sure there. Depends on how hot-rodded your IIci is. My IIfx
might or might not out-do your machine... Which version of MAX are you
running on it? I've got 2.5.2 on mine. I've got it hooked up to a plain
vanilla Midi Translator II, to a Roland DDR-30 for a trigger and an
original Sample Cell card. Primitive enough? Would I get rid of it? No way,
the machine is worth more to me than what I could get for it. Funny thing
is that it doesn't seem to work with MSP. :)

Chris

End of MAX Digest - 31 Jul 1999 to 1 Aug 1999 (#1999-229)
*********************************************************