Subject: MAX Digest - 29 Jul 1999 to 30 Jul 1999 (#1999-227)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 00:00:01 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. automatic Max quit
  2. usb audio
  3. MAX Digest - 28 Jul 1999 to 29 Jul 1999 (#1999-226)
  4. MSP/MIDI timing (2)
  5. auto boot/shut down
  6. G3 powerbook users: any advice?
  7. iBook not so bad after all?
  8. doomsday scenarios
  9. Q: Multichannel sfrecord~ (2)
  10. C Exernals, LCD internal, TCP interneternal

Date:Fri, 30 Jul 1999 01:06:15 -0400
From:Ken Gregory <kgregory@PANGEA.CA>
Subject: automatic Max quit

> Is there a way to quit Max automatically from within the program
>(with a message), rather than just automatically closing the patcher?

Put the following in a messagebox and bang it at the appropiate time.

; max quit

Also check page 6 of the Max Addendum for more messages to Max.

I believe this only works with Max ver 3.5.x

Hope this helps!
ken

Date:Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:03:50 +1000
From:"Sensor.E Overlobe" <overt@OVERLOBE.COM>
Subject: usb audio

looks interesting..
anyone know what it would mean if you got say, more than one of these boxes
and plugged them into a usb network? would you have individual inputs or
not?

/|\
/ \
~~~~~

Date:Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:39:12 +0200

From:Le Quan Ninh <ninh@MUSIQUE.NET>
Subject: Re: MAX Digest - 28 Jul 1999 to 29 Jul 1999 (#1999-226)

>From:Eamonn Doyle <eadoyle@TCD.IE>
>Subject: auto boot/shut down
>Is there a way to quit Max automatically from within the program
>(with a message), rather than just automatically closing the patcher?
>Does anyone know of third-party software that would make a better fist
>of it?

Mac Restart works very well to reboot automatically.
It's a shareware downloadable at :

It's the best solution I found to quit everything and reboot. Better than
to use AppleScripts. Then, I put items on the "Ouverture au demarrage" *
=46older and that's it !

Ninh

* What is the name in english ?

---------------------------------------------------------
L=EA Quan Ninh
---------------------------------------------------------

Date:Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:17:20 +0200
From:Robert Henke <imbalance@BERLIN.SNAFU.DE>
Subject: MSP/MIDI timing

Hi Stoney, max-l

> I tried this with a beige G3/300 desktop, with MSP driving a MOTU
> 2408, and the midi going through OMS to a MOTU MTP/AV and then into a
> Roland Sound Canvas (SC55). I looked at the result on a scope. MAX in
> overdrive.
> The midi had to be delayed about 36ms to put it and the audio
> more-or-less in alignment. I saw the MSP signal move back and forth
> 10-15 ms with respect to the Sound Canvas output.

thank you for this information. at leasti know now that it`s not a
problem of my specific configuration. i will also checkout how timing
behaves absolutely ( i mean if i send a regular 500 ms puls via metro does
audio via MSP appear every 500ms and is MIDI somehow between 450 and 510 =
or
is both kind of irregular ? ) i will check this out on weekend and let you
know.
anyway, David Z, if you read this, do you see a chance to get timing =
better
in the future ?

rob.

Date:Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:50:10 +0200
From:Øyvind Brandtsegg <obrandts@ONLINE.NO>
Subject: Re: auto boot/shut down

Eamonn Doyle wrote:

>Is there a way to quit Max automatically from within the program
> (with a message), rather than just automatically closing the patcher?

If I remember correctly you canput this in a message box, and bang it :

;max quit

> Does anyone know of third-party software that would make a better fist
> of it?

I made use of some shareware utility to do this in an installation earlier
this year,
I tried several of them, don't remember any names right now....
...BootClock maybe (?)

Best,
Oeyvind Brandtsegg

Date:Fri, 30 Jul 1999 08:50:44 -0400
From:Neal Farwell <nfarwell@FAS.HARVARD.EDU>
Subject: Re: G3 powerbook users: any advice?

A thought on old G3 powerbooks versus G3 Series models -

Apple claims the new Open Firmware architecture gives big reductions in
interrupt latency times. Anybody have objective comments or comparisons on
how this affects MSP? Would it in principal mean that Apple could shrink
the Sound Manager buffer sizes further, to reduce audio latency?

Neal

Date:Fri, 30 Jul 1999 10:15:16 -0400
From:johnny DeKam <johnny@NODE.NET>
Subject: iBook not so bad after all?

>> And speaking of hearing loss, I was rather disappointed to
>> learn that a) the new iBook has NO AUDIO IN and b) the use of
>> USB devices for audio I/O on the Mac is still a long ways off.
>> Apparently it may not even make it into the recently announced
>> System 9.
> Could this possibly be the Apple Not Caring About the Music Market
> scenario again? (Or still?)

I'm not so sure that USB audio is so far off are you? With the release of
the iBook, I'm certain Apple has now a major incentive to finish the
reference drivers for USB -- since it is just about the only port on the
thing! Now here is an interesting announcement to support my theory:

Griffin Technology, Inc. announced today the iMic Audio Adapter. Set to ship
this September (same as the iBook), the iMic features professional quality

sound input with support for stereo input at up to 48 Khz. According to the
press release:

At US$25, Griffin Technology iMic audio adapter will offer
a great low priced solution for both novice and
professional Digital Musicians, Audio/Video producers,
Multimedia Designers, Voice Recognition users, and anyone who wishes to
record sound with their iBook. The adapter is USB based and has both 1/8"
and RCA left and right inputs. It can also support XLR and 1/4" connectors
with a separate adapter.

-- Wow $25 bucks... and with RCA connectors - which is more than one can say
for the SonicPort! Note the September release...

-- Johnny DeKam

Date:Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:53:55 +0200
From:Sukandar Kartadinata <sk@ZKM.DE>
Subject: Re: MSP/MIDI timing

>> The midi had to be delayed about 36ms to put it and the audio
>> more-or-less in alignment. I saw the MSP signal move back and forth
>> 10-15 ms with respect to the Sound Canvas output.
>thank you for this information. at least
i know now that it`s not a
>problem of my specific configuration. i will also checkout how timing
>behaves absolutely ( i mean if i send a regular 500 ms puls via metro does
>audio via MSP appear every 500ms and is MIDI somehow between 450 and 510 or
>is both kind of irregular ? )

I did some similar experiments (using standard SoundManager output), and as
far as I could see _MIDI_ apperared regularly every 500ms (within the
minimum 1ms resolution), while audio was between 450 and 510 (or whatever
numbers)

I decided this would have to be a standard latency / buffer size problem
(which was one of the reasons why I initiated that hardMAX proposal in
February), however I'd be curious to learn if this might be caused by
something else

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sukandar Kartadinata
Custom Music Technology
Hagenauerstr. 6, 10435 Berlin, 030-44051219
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Date:Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:26:56 EDT
From:Bob Ostertag <BOstertag@AOL.COM>
Subject: doomsday scenarios

Georg,

well, I guess one good reason for a mail list like this is to hear different
opinions.

if you have no consequences, then great. When I was having those problems, I
went off on tour and ended up with such a fouled up rig, corrupted at some
weird low level, that I had to scrap my MSP pieces and do the gigs
improvising on an old MIDI keyboard.

In my book, that was a pretty doomsday scenario.

I understood the writer to say that he had concerts coming up soon. If I was
in that position again, I would do exactly as I suggested.

Really not trying to scare the hell out of anyone. I thought this list was
precisely for sharing experiences of this kind.

regards,
Bob

>Bob-
>Sorry, I can't resist. Your message sounds awfully like a doomsday
>scenario. If hadn't had that same trouble myself--without *any*
>consequences--I would be totally scared and I would probably never touch
>my computer again. I recommend you get a little more specific (e.g. about
>ambigious ways to store tables) before you scare the hell out of poor
>e-mail recipients.
>Best,
>Georg

Date:Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:00:10 +0200
From:"Dunskus, Bertram" <Bertram.Dunskus@COMMERZBANK.COM>
Subject: Q: Multichannel sfrecord~

Hello,

I have an MAX/MSP patch that produces more than two (actually 4 or 8)
signals. I would like to record these signals into a file or multiple files
in order to read them in with ProTools.

I know that sfrecord~ can record up to 8 tracks, but I cannot seem to find
any program, apart from MSP, that can handle more than a stereo AIFF or SD2
file.

However, if I record to multiple mono sfrecord~ objects, I am not sure that
they will be in sync.

Does any one have any recommendations about this?

Bertram Dunskus

PS: have to say that I always enjoyed using Max, and that MSP is just
incredible!

Date:Fri, 30 Jul 1999 23:57:27 +0200
From:Peter Castine <pcastine@PRZ.TU-BERLIN.DE>
Subject: Re: Q: Multichannel sfrecord~

On around 30-7-99 16:00, Dunskus, Bertram said something like:

>I know that sfrecord~ can record up to 8 tracks, but I cannot seem to find
>any program, apart from MSP, that can handle more than a stereo AIFF or SD2

>file.

SoundHack handles quadro, I think?

Failing any off-the-shelf solution, it would not be hard to program a
"split 8-track into 8*mono". Particularly if you start with Ben Denckla's
AIFF framework. This is a bare-bones, no user interface,
hack-for-other-programmers-to-add-on-to (and the documentation philosophy
is "read the source code"). Also, it has not been updated for a while. I
_think_ it is still available at <ftp://ftp.cs.jhu.edu/pub/dsp/>.

I've played with this only a little (just enough to solve one task for
which I could find no off-the-shelf solution). It can be made to work.

If you want to go this route and need some help I'll see what I can do.

Peter (Hoping somebody turns up an off-the-shelf ;-)

----------------- http://www.prz.tu-berlin.de/~pcastine/-----------------
Dr. Peter Castine| I am very pleased to announce that the
4-15 Music & Technology| 26th International Computer Music Conference
| will take place in Berlin in the year 2000.
| We look forward to seeing you here!

Date:Sat, 31 Jul 1999 00:07:08 +0000
From:"jim.y-wood" <jim.y-wood@VIRGIN.NET>
Subject: C Exernals, LCD internal, TCP interneternal

Hi
thanks to Kevin, Peter, Stephen & David Z all the responses Im still working
it all out,
it seems so obvious but I seem to be missing something.

David Z wrote

>get the thing bound to #P....
>t_patcher *p = (t_patcher *)gensym("#P")->s_thing;
> +
> myrect.left =((twind *)(p->p_wind)->w_x1; "

I not really familar with this kind of code, I keep getting error
"undefined identifier p"
I thought the above was defining it, but im really not sure.

*2.
About my LCD patch post I forgot toadd the patch, but its probably not worth
it anyway,
i believe it something to do with redrawing.

*3.
Kim Cascone asked about TCP/IP objects, there are some here rainsticks page

thanks again for the posts

Jim Wood

End of MAX Digest - 29 Jul 1999 to 30 Jul 1999 (#1999-227)
**********************************************************