Subject: MAX Digest - 27 Jul 1999 to 28 Jul 1999 (#1999-225)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 00:00:17 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. Haydn go Seq
  2. OT: USB - MIDI experiences?
  3. 2 button mouse (2)
  4. Haydn go Follow
  5. G3 powerbook users: any advice?
  6. FW: USB MIDI Solutions
  7. Of mice and men
  8. OT: Midiman USB MIDI interface
  9. External codingC question, how to get the window size??

Date:Wed, 28 Jul 1999 06:08:55 +0200
From:Jeffrey Burns <jeff@BERLIN.SNAFU.DE>
Subject: Haydn go Seq

True, Eric Singer's SeqPlayer is is a snazzy object. But it requires that
the MIDI files be prepared with metric information in some other program.
Is there any way to get Max to put bar lines, meters and tempi into a MIDI
file, either while recording in seq or detonate or by editing it as text?

Jeff Burns

Date:Tue, 27 Jul 1999 23:01:15 -0700
From:David Zicarelli <zicarell@CYCLING74.COM>
Subject: Re: OT: USB - MIDI experiences?

>BUT: even with the most simple max sequenzer ( metro -> table -> noteout
>and a play~ object ) i got random delays between MIDI and MSP up to 10ms
>for events which should appear at the same time.

For people concerned about MIDI and audio timing in MSP,
the first thing to try is the scheduler in audio interrupt mode.

Rob doesn't say whether he's using this or not, and it's the
single most important variable. Note that this feature was available
only recently (about six months ago) in the ASIO support that
works with the MOTU interface Rob is apparently using. The most
recent version, as always, can be obtained from

After that, it's worth determining whether the problem
is in scheduling or MIDI input. You can do this by
testing with a metro only that controls some temporal
audio generating process versus MIDI input that does the
same thing.

Date:Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:31:40 +0200
From:Peter Castine <pcastine@PRZ.TU-BERLIN.DE>
Subject: Re: 2 button mouse

On around 27-7-99 18:23, EUGENE MARTYNEC said something like:

>Any one know of a 2 or more button mouse I could use with Max? I'm rewriting
>portions of Emile Tobenfeld's "Midi-ax" originally for the Atari to the Mac
>platform. It is possible to initiate 2 mouse gestures simultaneously with 2
>mouse buttons on the Atari. I have a large repertoire I perform live with
>using Midi-ax and the availability of two gestures being active with one
>hand is something I use very often . I was hoping not to give that up.
>Thanks in advance.

There are a couple of 3rd party multiple-button ADB mice (and probably
now some for USB) with Mac drivers. However, the additional buttons
usually "talk" to your Mac by saying "I'm a shift-click" or "I'm a
command-option-control-click" or whatever, rather than saying "I'm the
mouse's 4th button."

I don't know the ADB spec very well, but I assume there must be a way for
a device to say "buttons number 1 and 6 were depressed" over ADB. But you
might need to write an external to respond to this, since it's not quite
the same as what either keyboard or std. mice say over ADB.

OR, you could stick to the Logitceh/Kensington/etc. conventions of having
the extra buttons pretend they are modifier-clicks and handle this with
standard externals. This would have the advantage that your patches would
be usable by people who don't have (or don't want to have) a multi-button
mouse. IOW, you could write your patches to respond to, say, shift-click
and do whatever Dr. T's Atari would do in response to the rightmost
button.

Hope this helps,

Peter

----------------- http://www.prz.tu-berlin.de/~pcastine/-----------------
Dr. Peter Castine| I am very pleased to announce that the
4-15 Music & Technology| 26th International Computer Music Conference
| will take place in Berlin in the year 2000.
| We look forward to seeing you here!

Date:Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:19:00 +0200
From:Jeffrey Burns <jeff@BERLIN.SNAFU.DE>
Subject: Haydn go Follow

Just noticed that the Follow doesn't accept the "hook" command, as the
manual says it should. I get the message, follow doesn't understand "hook".
Is there any other way to change speed during playback?

Jeff Burns

Date:Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:00:45 +1000
From:newton armstrong <newton@HARD.NET.AU>
Subject: G3 powerbook users: any advice?

i've been running max on a powerbook 5300c with sampler. i'm considering
dumping both the computer and sampler and graduating to max/msp on a

333MHz G3 powerbook. i'd be interested to hear from anybody running this
or a similar set-up on the pluses and minuses, especially with regard to
3rd party sound card solutions. thanks for any help.

Date:Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:16:52 -0400
From:johnny DeKam <johnny@NODE.NET>
Subject: FW: USB MIDI Solutions

John:

Your best bet is probably the midiman "midisport" - USB 2x2 interface

Apple keeps maintains a page on the subject:

-- Johnny DeKam

Unauthorized MAX

> From:John Phillips <jpch@TERRAGIZMO.NET>

> I'm setting up my new Lombard and OMS is asking for some kind of life of
> it's own...what's the group's experience with USB MIDI devices? Are there
> any in use and working? As it would be fun to use my serial printer at some
> point, how about USB to serial adapters and then on to a serial MIDI box? I
> just need a simple MIDI rig. 1in 2 out kinda thing...

Date:Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:04:16 +0100
From:Lawrence Casserley <leo@CHILTERN.DEMON.CO.UK>
Subject: Re: 2 button mouse

EUGENE MARTYNEC <euclid@YESIC.COM> wrote:

>Any one know of a 2 or more button mouse I could use with Max? I'm rewriting
>portions of Emile Tobenfeld's "Midi-ax" originally for the Atari to the Mac
>platform. It is possible to initiate 2 mouse gestures simultaneously with 2
>mouse buttons on the Atari. I have a large repertoire I perform live with
>using Midi-ax and the availability of two gestures being active with one
>hand is something I use very often . I was hoping not to give that up.
>Thanks in advance.

Two possibilities that I use, although neither as cheap as a simple mouse.

1 - Kensington "Turbo Mouse" Trackball. (UK price ca UKP59) I use this
instead of a mouse in performance partly because I can never find room
for a normal mouse. This has four programmable buttons. I know Kensington
do some other 'mouse' products - including "Thinking Mouse" 2 button,
"Orbit Mouseball" 2 button trackball. I have found it a good reliable
product.

2 - More expensive, but with all sorts of additional potential - I am now
using a Wacom graphics tablet with their "4D Mouse". (UKprice ca UKP329)
This has five buttons, plus a thumb wheel, and also gives data from the
rotational angle. Plus no trailing wire to cope with! There are other
devices for it, such as pens with tilt and pressure sensitivity. You will
need Richard Dudas's 'wacom' object to interface to Max. The tablet is
revolutionising my setup at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Lawrence Casserley

Lawrence Electronic Operations - Tel +44 1494 481381 - FAX +44 1494 481454
Signal Processing for Contemporary Music - email leo@chiltern.demon.co.uk

Date:Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:14:17 +0000
From:Robb Drinkwater <rdrink@ARTIC.EDU>
Subject: Of mice and men

> Any one know of a 2 or more button mouse I could use with Max?

I use Kennsington 2 and 4 button trackballs for all my machines. And
although not mice, once you get use to them they're a joy use
(especially mapping the different buttons to various functions, which
can be customised through Kennsington's c-dev).

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^
Robb Drinkwater
SAIC Sound Department
312 345 3573
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

Date:Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:56:29 -0700
From:William Tsun-Yuk Hsu <hsu@TLALOC.SFSU.EDU>
Subject: OT: Midiman USB MIDI interface

Hello,

I'm trying to move all my Max/MSP software to a 333MHz G3
Powerbook, but am having trouble with the Midiman USB
MIDI interface. I'm running MacOS 8.6, installed OMS 2.3.7,
installed all the Midiman drivers according to the instructions,
and try to run OMS Setup for the first time.

When I get to the "search for driver hardware" menu, I've
tried leaving both modem and printer boxes unchecked (which
I think is what the manual says to do), and checking only
the modem box. In both cases, OMS Setup tries for a few
seconds and hangs, often crashing my laptop.

I've made sure that the MIDI interface switch is in the
USB position. I've noticed the USB indicator LED doesn't
seem to be lit steadily, but dims and gets brighter...

Haven't heard from Midiman's tech support, so was wondering
if knowledgeable people on this list have any ideas.
Thanks...

Bill

Date:Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:20:32 -0400
From:"jim.y-wood" <jim.y-wood@VIRGIN.NET>
Subject: External codingC question, how to get the window size??

hi

firstly thanks to Richard Dudas and others for the LCD patches.

I have a question about externals
im trying to do this tiny bit of C to add to an external that gets the
patcher windows size and can then make a calculation from that, but alas no
joy.
I found these on the "ext_wind.h" is this not right, doesnt see to be
working for me, or maybe Im just plain dumb

#define W_WIDTH(w) (w->w_x2 - w->w_x1)
#define W_HEIGHT(w) (w->w_y2 - w->w_y1)
short w_x1;/* location of window */
short w_x2;
short w_y1;
short w_y2;

can I not do this ?

myrect.left = w_x1;
myrect.top = w_x2;
myrect.right = w_y1;
myrect.bottom = w_y2;

any help greatly appreciated

Jim Wood

End of MAX Digest - 27 Jul 1999 to 28 Jul 1999 (#1999-225)
**********************************************************