Subject: MAX Digest - 27 Jun 1999 to 28 Jun 1999 (#1999-194)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 00:00:01 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. problems reading old files
  2. Record all midi output
  3. file formats (msp-jmax-compatibilities)
  4. The Jumper Trick
  5. The Arid State of Peripheral Hardware around Lombard

Date:Mon, 28 Jun 1999 01:00:54 -0500
From:Dafna Naphtali <dln1@ACF2.NYU.EDU>
Subject: problems reading old files

Can anyone give me some helpful hints on converting my old Max patches to
the Power PC version? When I open up my old files with MaxFAT I get the
following error (the 2nd error refers to a table called "1400lin".)

* error: PowerPC version can't read old format files
* error: 1400lin: read failed

Thanks.

Dafna Naphtali

Date:Sun, 27 Jun 1999 15:32:57 +0200
From:Roald Baudoux <roald.baudoux@BRUTELE.BE>
Subject: Re: Record all midi output

=46r=E9d=E9ric Murray wrote :

>Hello,
>(excuse my english)
>I work on a project with Max and children. Childrens make some musical
>composition with objects (all complex process is hide). Now, I want to
>record all midi output (notes, volume, pitch bend, program change, etc...)
>Is it possible to make that with OMS ? is it possible to send all midi
>output to a sequencer like Vision ?

Yes, it is very easy. You need to use an IAC bus. To do this, first
download the free IAC Driver from Opcode's website. I do not remember if it
is a standalone download or if it part of OMS. Anyway, the IAC Driver needs
OMS, which is probably installed on your computer yet. The IAC Driver must
be installed in the OMS Folder. After installation, open the "OMS Setup"
application. You should find the "IAC Driver" icon in the setup.
Double-click on it and you will see a window with four text rows. Each row
allow you to define a bus (this means a connection) between OMS-compatible
applications by typing a name. So, type a name to one of them then save
your setup and relaunch Max and Vision. Both applications should then allow
you to receive or transmit on this IAC bus as if it was a new instrument in
your MIDI setup. So, you will have to configure Max to send data on the bus
(which is quite easy, check the "Midi setup" menu), but it might be harder

for Vision to receive the data. I was able to establish such a connection
between Max and Logic, but the connection slows down the computer because
it is a pure software operation.

Roald Baudoux
Journalist, composer, teacher

Date:Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:23:54 +0200
From:Francois Dechelle <Francois.Dechelle@IRCAM.FR>
Subject: Re: file formats (msp-jmax-compatibilities)

> >On the contrary, jMax saves patches in a binary format that cannot
> >be loaded by Max/MSP. It should be possible to add a "save as .pat"
> >functionnality to jMax, but there is no guaranty of a 100%
> >compatibility.
> This would actually be a *very* nice feature to have, and would certainly
> be heartily welcomed by the entire Max/jMax user community. It would be
> kind of like saving a Microsoft Word document in an earlier version's
> format... you might not be able to represent, or might even need to
> eliminate some cool features of the newer version, but at least those
> people clinging on to the older version will have something to work with.
> I think the issue here is NOT object set compatibility, but just being able
> to open up a patch and edit it. As you said, the patches won't be
> guaranteed to run if they contain objects which might not exist or have a
> different name in the other environmant. But if you're using something
> like vucterbean~ in your jMax patch, at least you would be able to open
> your patch in Max/MSP, realize that the object is not there, and improvise
> something to replace it!
> Anyway, thank-you both Enzo and Francois for clarifying the binary format
> situation. Didn't there used to be a text format for the jMax patches?
> Some kind of text file format is actually a convenient thing for users to
> have. I know a few people who routinely save their Max patches as text,
> because they are then able to recover some of their work in case of a major
> hard disk crash, or accidentally corrupted file. (Needless to say, they
> learned this lesson the hard way...)
> -R

Hi,

About saving as .pat, it is something that is in the plans. Just need
some time... For object set, it's true that editing your patch once
loaded and replacing what is needed works, but this is probably more
porting a patch from one environment to another than compatibility.

The actual jMax format is binary. But a text format is also in the plans,
because as you say it is human readable, editable and recoverable. Also,
if you want to generate a patch by a script, it may be easier to generate
text instead of binary.

François

Date:Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:31:54 +0200
From:Jeffrey Burns <jeff@BERLIN.SNAFU.DE>
Subject: The Jumper Trick

>I'm sorry, I must have missed that post. What's the jumper trick?

According to the German c't 5/98, there are two ways of getting your gray
G3/233 up to 300 MHz.
This one gives you a bus rate of 66 MHz: 100011100
This one gives you a bus rate of 75 MHz: 010101110
The above is the new placement of the jumpers starting from the front of
the machine. (There is a "1" on the motherboard near jumper 1. "1" means
jumper set, "0" means jumper missing.)
There's a website http://www.bekkoame.or.jp/~t-imai/g3ae1.htmlwhich has
more info, but I never succeded in getting through to it.

Which of these two alternatives did David Z. and others successfully use???

I haven't tried the trick yet myself, since I'm afraid of sending my Mac to
Nirvana. But I guess, if that happened, I could save the situation by buing
a 433 Hz accelleration card, which would hike up the motor even more.

Jeff Burns

Date:Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:09:34 -0700
From:James Livingston <jamesl@OPCODE.COM>
Subject: Re: The Arid State of Peripheral Hardware around Lombard

>Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 15:32:22 -0000
>From:
Nick Rothwell <nick@CASSIEL.COM>
>Subject: Re: The Arid State of Peripheral Hardware around Lombard
>> i have a VXPocket on order from Digital Village in Barnet (call SCV
>> (or is that SVC?) to find your nearest distributor). According to
>> SCV it should arrive any day now, with Mac drivers.
>I'm planning to give SCV a call over the next week to see what they
>have to say about this area. They claim the SONICport works on the
>Mac, I believe.
>--
Nick RothwellCassiel.com Limited
nick@cassiel.comwww.cassiel.com
systems - composition - installation - performance

No need to call SCV regarding Opcode USB Audio gear.

None of the USB Audio Interfaces are shipping for Mac at this time.
Someone in Opcode's marketing department will be sure to let you know when
they will be available.

-James

End of MAX Digest - 27 Jun 1999 to 28 Jun 1999 (#1999-194)
**********************************************************