Subject: MAX Digest - 25 Jun 1999 to 26 Jun 1999 (#1999-192)
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 00:00:00 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. MAX Digest - 24 Jun 1999 to 25 Jun 1999 (#1999-191)
  2. USB / Firewire (one of my favorite topics:)
  3. Record all midi output
  4. G3 Power 233->300Mhz

Date:Sat, 26 Jun 1999 01:06:00 EDT
From:RBMengMail@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: MAX Digest - 24 Jun 1999 to 25 Jun 1999 (#1999-191)

In a message dated 6/26/99 4:01:05 AM, LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA writes:

<< I noticed others on this list have tried to get an answer to the
question "what=B4s the current situation concerning USB and MIDI on a new
G3 / new Powerbook?" without much luck. So what=B4s the deal? Anyone out
there actually using a 100% functional/working USB MIDI interface on a
Mac?

On the K2500/K2000 list, C K Haun has posted very positive comments=20
concerning the high compatibility with the Mac of at least two different USB=20
interfaces from different vendors. One can contact him for details at=20
www.ravenware.com-- a very pro-Mac, pro K2500 website.

R B Meng

Date:Sat, 26 Jun 1999 01:24:48 -0400
From:Johnny DeKam <johnny@NODE.NET>
Subject: USB / Firewire (one of my favorite topics:)

Oeivind wrote:

> Wow! Now that=B4s something!
> Thought how do you get the video out from the Powerbook into a VCR -- do
> you just use the S-Video out?

That's old-style... Firewire style is DV files streaming out the firewire
port into a DV camera/deck (a VCR if you will)... which does the work of
decompressing the stream to betacam quality video, likewise it does a D/A
conversion of the audio 16bit, 48k stereo... and this connection goes both
ways. Datarate =3D 3.6 MB/sec (always)

for more info: http://www.promax.com/

> I noticed others on this list have tried to get an answer to the
> question "what=B4s the current situation concerning USB and MIDI on a new
> G3 / new Powerbook?" without much luck. So what=B4s the deal? Anyone out
> there actually using a 100% functional/working USB MIDI interface on a
> Mac?

I personally still use RS422 for MIDI but...

Apple maintains a page on the subject:

According to them all of these products are either shipping now or have bee=
n
announced. I believe Opcode, Midiman and Yamaha have been shipping Mac USB
MIDI for some time now.

Date:Sat, 26 Jun 1999 16:56:17 -0400
From:Fr=?ISO-8859-1?B?6WTp?=ric Murray <aae052@AGORA.ULAVAL.CA>
Subject: Record all midi output

Hello,

(excuse my english)

I work on a project with Max and children. Childrens make some musical
composition with objects (all complex process is hide). Now, I want to
record all midi output (notes, volume, pitch bend, program change, etc...)
Is it possible to make that with OMS ? is it possible to send all midi
output to a sequencer like Vision ?

I hope my question is clear.

Frederic Murray
Etudiant a la maitrise
Faculte de Musique
Universite Laval

Date:Sat, 26 Jun 1999 11:54:49 -0700
From:David Zicarelli <zicarell@CYCLING74.COM>
Subject: Re: G3 Power 233->300Mhz

I tried the jumper trick on an out-of-warranty G3/233 and it's
been working quite well. The CPU temperature never goes above 80
degrees F, and weirdly enough, running a CPU-intensive MSP patch
seems to *lower* the temperature!

You can also upgrade the hard disk that comes in a G3 for
not too much money. There's an IBM 14 Gig IDE drive that
I found for $249...and it's a 7200 rpm drive, vs the 5400 rpm
Quantum Fireball that comes with the machine (who names these
things? the last thing I want my drive to do is explode in a
burst of flames). If you get a SCSI CD-ROM drive, you can leave
both drives connected, but in any case, I now realize (after
doing two of these drive upgrades) that you can just temporarily
disconnect the CD-ROM drive, plug-in the old hard drive and
copy its contents to the new hard drive. I know, that probably
seems obvious to all of you, but I'm a software guy.

End of MAX Digest - 25 Jun 1999 to 26 Jun 1999 (#1999-192)
**********************************************************