Subject: MAX Digest - 17 Jun 1999 to 18 Jun 1999 (#1999-184)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 00:00:08 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. Max via text; TCP/IP
  2. G3 jumpers
  3. A simpler problem.
  4. Max via text
  5. TCP/IP
  6. MAX Digest - 13 Jun 1999 to 14 Jun 1999 (#1999-179)
  7. AfricanMusicMachine-11.hqx

Date:Fri, 18 Jun 1999 10:52:41 +0200
From:Peter Castine <pcastine@PRZ.TU-BERLIN.DE>
Subject: Re: Max via text; TCP/IP

On around 17-6-99 23:10, Jeff Brown said something like:

>First, is there a way to program in
>Max via text--i.e., standard C or C++?

Yes, but I don't think you want to.

Max supports an ASCII storage format. The Max documents describe the spec
(albeit briefly). I s'ppose you could write C/C++ (or, better still,
LISP) code to generate Max patchers this way. I'm not sure it would be
worth the effort (although, if you can start generating patchers that
will generate patchers that will generate patchers... this could be fun).

> Second, if there is, what's a
>good (free, if possible!) set of programming tools (all I need is a
>compiler and a text editor with syntax highlighting) that I could use
>for it?

The programming environment of choice on Mac is CodeWarrior. Not free.
There is a 'lite' version bundled with one or three different books on
"Programming the Macintosh" which is a bargain.

Don't ask about gcc. Yes, there is a Mac gcc, but it doesn't grok the Mac
Toolbox (i.e., "system calls" if you're from Unixland). You can't do much
on Mac without the Toolbox.

>Third, is there a way I could get a program running on a Unix
>machine to speak to Max over a TCP/IP connection?

There's a TCP/IP object for Max. The author reads the list, and I'm
ashamed to admit that I can't remember the name of it right now. Dang.

>I'm new to the Mac
>world, and know nothing.

_That's_ nothing to be ashamed of. Just be prepared for some surprises.
People used to Unix or Windows are sometimes surprised that certain
things are different from what they're used to. For most differences
there actually is a reason... sometimes even a reasonably good one!

(although it's sometimes just legacy.) Learning to program a new system
is always an experience in shedding expectations.

Hope this helps,

Peter

----------------- http://www.prz.tu-berlin.de/~pcastine/-----------------
Dr. Peter Castine| I am very pleased to announce that the
4-15 Music & Technology| 26th International Computer Music Conference
| will take place in Berlin in the year 2000.
| We look forward to seeing you here!

Date:Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:30:25 -0400
From:Christopher Murtagh <chris@MUSIC.MCGILL.CA>
Subject: G3 jumpers

Yesterday Peter Castine wrote:
>But... where's the tiny jumper. If the gurus approve the procedure, I'd
>like to see how my 266 responds...

I've posted the document that I found that had all the info at:

It is pretty straight forward, and has all the info you should need.
WARNING!! Use at your own risk. Reading this document can be harmful to
your G3. :)

Chris

Date:Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:05:21 -0400
From:Jeff Brown <jeffb@AMNH.ORG>
Subject: A simpler problem.

Hi guys. I wrote yesterday about TCP/IP and MAX;I decided today that
I'm biting off too much at one time. I don't even know how I'd get a
C++ program on the Mac to talk to MAX. (I need the C++ program to
stream in a few floats every few milliseconds.)How is that done?

--Jeff

Date:Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:37:12 -0400
From:Stephen Kay <sk@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject: Re: Max via text

=

On around 17-6-99 23:10, Jeff Brown said something like:

>First, is there a way to program in
>Max via text--i.e., standard C or C++?

You can write your own objects in C, which are then
available in Max just like any other object. You need
to consult the Max Developer's Kit documentation,
which is included with Max, but not necessarily
installed automatically.

The best programming environment to do this in is
CodeWarrior, but it costs $$$.

Stephen Kay
The MegaMAX collection of professional devlopment
oriented objects: http://www.musikinetix.com

Date:Fri, 18 Jun 1999 16:00:37 -0400
From:Jeff Brown <jeffb@AMNH.ORG>
Subject: TCP/IP

Somebody who wouldn't want me to name him replied to my message yesterday:

> >Third, is there a way I could get a program running on a Unix
> >machine to speak to Max over a TCP/IP connection?
> There's a TCP/IP object for Max. The author reads the list, and I'm
> ashamed to admit that I can't remember the name of it right now. Dang.

I'd like to find out where I can get this object. Anybody got any leads?
(I've found a bunch of old ones on the net that don't support the PowerPC,
but they don't do me any good.)

Thanks.

--Jeff

Date:Fri, 18 Jun 1999 16:01:16 -0500
From:ldusman@CLARKU.EDU
Subject: Re: MAX Digest - 13 Jun 1999 to 14 Jun 1999 (#1999-179)

Hello--Do any of you have experience with synching CD players? I am
wondering if I began playing 3 identical CDs from the pause mode on 3
identical machines if they
would end at the same time. I'm working on an installation where I would
like to have 3 sound sources fairly accurately synched.
Thanks, Linda Dusman

Date:Fri, 18 Jun 1999 21:16:51 -0400
From:Otto Henry <muhenry@EASTNET.EDUC.ECU.EDU>
Subject: AfricanMusicMachine-11.hqx

Dear Maxers:

my newest MAXstand-alone application wAs just posted to the
hyperarchive: this one is different, kind of an african drum machine.
936K, decompresses to much
less- snd files make it a bit large- hope you enjoy! African music has
been one of my
passions for a long time now. -Otto(ps. you may have to turn off your
virtual memory
if it doesn't sound right- My MAX hates it, but then....)

From: muhenry@eastnet.educ.ecu.edu
Subject: AfricanMusicMachine-11.hqx : make your own African percussion
music!
Suggested Directory/ art (they put it in gst/sound)

AfricanMusicMachine-11.hqx is an algorithmic stand-alone music
application that allows you to program and play a colorful African drum

and idiophone ensemble. Or, let it program/play itself according to
random settings you select. Learn about African traditional music as you

select and cross different rhythms and instruments.
YOU NEED:Apple's Quicktime 3.0 and Sound Manager 3.0 (+) System 7.+
DETAILS:AfricanMusicMachine-11.hqx was realized on a Mac 8500 PPC
(system 8.5, QT 3.0) using Opcode System's MAX 3.0. program. Virus
checked.Compressed with Stuffit Delux.
AVAILABILITY: AfricanMusicMachine-11is free to individuals for their
private enjoyment. Distribution byCD Rom and other means: OK, please
notify by e-mail.

download:

End of MAX Digest - 17 Jun 1999 to 18 Jun 1999 (#1999-184)
**********************************************************