Subject: MAX Digest - 15 Jun 1999 to 16 Jun 1999 (#1999-182)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 00:00:01 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. beans and rice
  2. varying wavetable
  3. varying wavetable (more)
  4. Max msp & MAXpowr G3 cards
  5. PCMCIA-USB
  6. Introducing Tactex & the Multi-Touch Controller - MTC Express
  7. Max SDK and CW IDE 2.0

Date:Tue, 15 Jun 1999 21:46:20 -0700
From:dudas <dudas@CNMAT.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject: beans and rice

Peter Nyboer writes:

>So, if you are dying to get into MSP, and you simply don't have the francs
>for a new machine right now, then the G3 card will get you there. However,
>if it is possible to stave off the craving, you might be better off eating
>beans and rice (live large-throw in a ham hock on Sundays--wait, do you
>have smoked ham hocks in France?), and saving for a new machine.

What??? and give up the foie gras de oie truffe' with a glass of Margaux??

:o>

-R

Date:Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:51:05 +0100
From:david stevens <david@RESONANT.DEMON.CO.UK>
Subject: varying wavetable

hi all,

i've been trying out an idea that someone suggested to - attempting to make a
max version of something that he did with (apparently) about 32 lines of code on
an Amiga many years ago.
the principle seems to work - but my first scratch version is big, and would be
huge if i continued to implement it in the way that i have done so far. so.....

the basic idea is to modulate each point of a single cycle wavetable, used as
the source for a wavetable synth. each point is gradually incremented to +1,
then decremented (?) to -1 and so on. the rate at which each point changes is
controlled by another single cycle wavetable.

my initial attempt (which was basically me trying to get my head round the
concept, and see if it was possible to simultaneously right to and read from a
buffer~) involved using a subpatch with a metro/count/read combination to
generate the controlling waveform. One advantage of this is that you can easily
control the rate of change of the controlling waveform by changing the metro
rate. The output of this then goes into a single peek~ object (via a [1 $1] box)
which changes the value of that point in the "audio" waveform. The buffer~ is

read by a wave~ object.

To see if this would work, i initially set up a bpatcher with 32 "point"
controllers. each of the 32 outputs went through a [x,$1] box to peek~. (yes,
it's getting clumsy already). I then duplicated the bpatcher and connected it
via another 32 [x, $1]'s to peek~.

The basic idea works - but as i'm going to need to vary 512 seperate points, you
can see that this particular approach is going to become very clumsy very soon.

So - does anyone have a better idea how i might go about this?
And do you think that this will actually work? or will changing the wavetable in
this way actually cause the wavetable oscillator to distort as it cycles through
the table? It's too soon to say with only 64 points changing, if the buzziness
of the output is due to the new shape of the wavetable, or because i'm changing
the table as it's being read.

thanks for any help!

david

Date:Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:59:52 +0100
From:david stevens <david@RESONANT.DEMON.CO.UK>
Subject: varying wavetable (more)

hi again,

does anyone know if there's a float version of funnel?

david

Date:Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:30:51 -0400
From:Jon Witte <jonwitte@CYBERNEX.NET>
Subject: Max msp & MAXpowr G3 cards

> I have an old powerPC 7100/66/AV + AudioMedia II card:-(
> Has anyone tried this with Max Msp and some audio hardware ?
> any good (or bad ) advices before I decide to buy it ?
I have an 8100/80 w/ a Newer Tech G3 266 running an old Pro Tools 442
system. I tried the MSP demo and decided to wait on buying it due to a
lack of support for the 442 system. I also did not have an apple AV.
card (my computer wasn't an AV. model), so sound manager wasn't as
functional as I would have liked. MSP seem to work pretty well running
the demos as far as output was concerned (using the 1/8th " speaker
out), but the Mic. input was a problem due to impedance issues. I
believe that there is an unsupported driver for the Audiomedia II card,
but I'm not certain of this. I think that you could get a lot out of
MSP as long as you have an apple AV. card for use with sound manager.
The AV card will let you get decent input and output on RCA jacks and
sound manager works well with MSP. I think adding a G3 card to a first
generation nubus PPC gives it enough horsepower to do fun and
interesting things with MSP. It may not be like running the latest G3
PPC, but for the price difference it gives a good entry level look into
the world of MSP. And if you can run the Audiomedia II with MSP, this
would be an added bonus. In general my computer is about 8 times faster
than before the G3 card and is very stable. It even speeded up my Pro
Tools system nicely. Hope this helps : )

Jon Witte - Music Machine Studio
Home - http://www2.cybernex.net/~jonwitte/index.html
Max Digest Archive - http://www2.cybernex.net/~jonwitte/max/welcome.html

Date:Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:28:18 +0200
From:Matthew Ostrowski <xbang@IBM.NET>
Subject: PCMCIA-USB

Has anyone heard any info lately on PCMCIA->USB cards? I know they're out
there, but last I had heard Apple didn't have and drivers for them. (Always
in the forefront of technology, apple is.)And, if such things come into
existence, will MSP be able to talk to them?

\M

Date:Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:46:53 -0800
From:George Rioux <george@TACTEX.COM>
Subject: Introducing Tactex & the Multi-Touch Controller - MTC Express

Greetings Maxers:
On behalf of Tactex Controls, I wanted to let everyone on the list know
about our exciting new product that will be available later this year (Q4
1999). Our product, the MTC Express, is a unique, pressure sensitive,
multi-touch control surface. Using the MTC Express and the included MAX
external you will be able to, for example: design, implement and
expressively control novel virtual instruments; simultaneously control
multiple vitrual sliders; or (using the included API) develop your own
multi-touch applications & MAX externals.

For additional information on our technology and the MTC Express, please
visit our web site at http://www.tactex.com. If you have any questions or
comments, please e-mail us at sales@tactex.com, or call us at
1-250-480-1132.
Thanks & Cheers
George Rioux
Product Manager

TACTEX CONTROLS INC

#3-203 Harbour Road13919 Struikman Road
Victoria, British ColumbiaCerritos, California
CANADA V9A 3S2USA 90703

Phone:250-480-1132
Fax:250-480-1142
Web:www.tactex.com
E-Mail: tci@tactex.com (General Inquiries)
sales@tactex.com (MTC Express Sales)
oem@tactex.com (OEM Opportunities)

Date:Wed, 16 Jun 1999 23:47:40 +0200
From:Klaus Kessner <kkessner@NETCOLOGNE.DE>
Subject: Max SDK and CW IDE 2.0

hi -

i'm trying to get started writing my own Max externals.
i've got CW IDE 2.0 and unfortunately none of the examples
(and templates) inside the Max SDK folder will load (my attempts
building a project from scratch using the notes in the SDK manual
weren't very sucessful either).

is there someone who would send me an SDK example (template)
which will be loaded by CW IDE 2.0?

Gruesse, Klaus.

End of MAX Digest - 15 Jun 1999 to 16 Jun 1999 (#1999-182)
**********************************************************