Subject: MAX Digest - 30 May 1999 to 31 May 1999 (#1999-163)
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 00:00:01 -0400
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Reply-To: MAX - Interactive Music/Multimedia Standard Environments <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
To: Recipients of MAX digests <MAX@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>

1. overdriving miss daisy (starring Defer)
  2. views on PB 5300? (2)
  3. views on PB 5300
  4. "intelligent" realtime live sequencing
  5. pt~=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=8a_[lp1~]?=
  6. PB 5300
  7. lgate: bug or feature? (2)
  8. fft/ifft MSP question

Date:Mon, 31 May 1999 10:00:29 +0100
From:david stevens <david@RESONANT.DEMON.CO.UK>
Subject: Re: overdriving miss daisy (starring Defer)

> This may be overly simplified, but that's the basic idea.
> Stephen Kay

Stephen -

thankyou _very_ much for this explanation - i finally have a good idea of how
these things work in max...

david

Date:Mon, 31 May 1999 05:43:38 -0700
From:Christopher Dobrian <dobrian@UCI.EDU>
Subject: Re: views on PB 5300?

nfarwell@FAS.HARVARD.EDU wrote:

>PowerBook 5300 (100MHz, b/w, post-fireworks model).
>What are your experiences with this machine for Max/MSP?
>MIDI only? Some MSP too? Can it do direct-to-disk record/play? Sound quality?

Neal,

I have a 5300c which I've lugged with me every day and used for nearly
three years, including using it for performances, etc. The short report is:
Max for MIDI, works great.
MSP, forget it.
Record/play with SoundEdit 16, fine.
Sound quality, OK.
A few more details:
Max up to 3.5.9 worked fine. For some reason (I haven't had time to ask
David Z. if he knows why this might be), Max is now VERY slow since I've
switched to the latest version 3.5.9-8. MIDI still works OK, but every
other aspect of the application is way slow.
MSP used to work for VERY minimal tasks such as the simplest FM synthesis.
Now with 3.5.9-8 it freezes on even the simplest MSP tasks.
If it hasn't had the Apple "recall" case retrofit, you might begin to see

the case of the lid separate from the screen, and since you aren't the
original owner, you won't get the free retrofit from Apple. However, if
this has already been done to it, it should be pretty safe.
The little door that covers the ports on the back is VERY fragile. I was
doing OK (because I'm fanatically careful) till about two months ago when a
stage hand picked up my computer and snapped off the port door. Seems
inevitable.
Other than those minor quibbles, it's been great.

--Chris

----------
Christopher Dobrian / Department of Music / University of California, Irvine
Phone: (949) 824-7288 / Fax: (949) 824-4914 / http://www.arts.uci.edu/dobrian

Date:Mon, 31 May 1999 10:13:46 EDT
From:ACDCVC@AOL.COM
Subject: views on PB 5300

In a message dated 5/31/99 4:03:21 AM, LISTSERV@LISTS.MCGILL.CA writes:

<< Dear All -

A friend has offered what seems a good price on a PowerBook 5300 (100MHz,
b/w, post-fireworks model). What are your experiences with this machine for
Max/MSP?
MIDI only? Some MSP too? Can it do direct-to-disk record/play? Sound quality?

Comments gratefully received.

Neal >>

Neal,

I have been working with the 5300 and MAX for maybe 3-4 years in live
performance. It's been interesting. Back when I first got it I think I had
OS 7.5 and an earlier version of MAX and it crashed all over the place. Now
it almost never crashes. I use OS 8.1 and the latest version of MAX. Speed
Doubler is a must and I have pared down the system folder. I have run some
hefty MAX patches such as Essl's AMAZING MAZE with relative success. Forget
it if you plan to do any multi-media or MSP. It is great for MIDI.

Email me with questions at acdcvc@aol.com
Good luck!
Jeffrey Krieger, e-cellist

Date:Mon, 31 May 1999 18:37:42 +0300
From:Jukka Ylitalo <juylital@CC.HELSINKI.FI>
Subject: "intelligent" realtime live sequencing

Hello maxers,

Have any of you dreamed or even conceived a following sequencer feature
with max:

"intelligent" realtime live sequencing:

-it should do the following:

1. youplay live a pattern that loops, say 3 - 7 notes long
  2. max records the pattern
  3. as soon as max has detected that the pattern is "fairly" steady it
    starts to loop playback it automatically on fly

1. youcontinue bulding another loop with another soundon top of the
    previous (repeat 1. -3. with new sound )

-when playing live it is most likely impossible that the delta time and
duration of notes in milliseconds are repeating the exact same values,
there should be maybe adjustable % level that determines what is "fairly"
steady pattern.

any hints to realize this would be great
I suppose i should try this with detonate object?
I wonder how to realize the periodic scanthrough the sequence (after
every played note)to see if there is a "fairly" steady pattern (of
pitches, delta times, durations) repeating at least twice for triggering
the jump into playing it back automatically

jukka

interface.xs2.net

Date:Mon, 31 May 1999 11:40:40 -0400
From:Stephen Kay <sk@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject: Re: views on PB 5300?

>Max up to 3.5.9 worked fine. For some reason (I haven't had time to ask
>David Z. if he knows why this might be), Max is now VERY slow since I've=

>switched to the latest version 3.5.9-8. MIDI still works OK, but every
>other aspect of the application is way slow.

Did you, by any chance, also switch to system 8.5 around that time?

I have noticed since upgrading to 8.5 that Max itself loads
very slowly (i.e the messages about loading external objects
post extremely slowly in the Max window) and other things seem
to operate slowly. I believe that it is related to some set
of system extensions, because I created a stripped down
startup set and the problem seemed to go away, or at least
became better. I haven't had the time to narrow it down any
further than that at the moment.

But speaking of system extensions, it's always a good idea
(for maximum CPU responsiveness in Max/MSP) to get rid of
any crap you really don't need, like "talking alerts" (Speech
Manager) etc.

Stephen Kay

Date:Mon, 31 May 1999 18:18:40 +0200
From:jvkr <jvkr@KONCON.NL>
Subject: Re: pt~=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=8a_[lp1~]?=

>You can bug-fix your copy of pt~ yourself, by opening it and another MSP
>object (such as cycle~ or +~ or whatever) in ResEdit, and copying the
>'mAxL' resource from the cycle~ (or whatever) object into pt~. You then
>need to double-click on the mAxL resource icon, get info on the 'mAxL'
>resource (cmd-I) that's there, and change the resource's name from cycle~
>(or whatever it is) to pt~. Save the changes you made to pt~ and quit
>ResEdit.

This works! Also for lp1~ which I found could not be included in a =
standalone. The 'mAxL' recource is called lp2~=8A Change it to 1 and =
it will do it.
johan

Date:Mon, 31 May 1999 12:26:42 -0400
From:David Bianciardi <tech@IDRC.COM>
Subject: Re: PB 5300

On 5/31/99 12:00 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:

>Dear All -
>A friend has offered what seems a good price on a PowerBook 5300 (100MHz,
>b/w, post-fireworks model).

Not to be mean (I own one of these beasts, after all) but a good price
should be no more than $250. No matter how you slice it, 5300s are
lemons.

> What are your experiences with this machine for
>Max/MSP?

none

>MIDI only?

ok, I use it to replace my 145B for non-critical applications (like MIDI
monitoring, troubleshooting, etc) during installations, etc. I never run
shows off it.

>Can it do direct-to-disk record/play?

not very well.

If you're looking for a performance machine, look elsewhere, IMHO.

David Bianciardi
tech@idrc.com

212.353.9087
212.353.3947 fax
______________________________________________
IDRC || 415 Lafayette St || NYC, NY 10003-7000

Date:Mon, 31 May 1999 14:23:02 -0700
From:Alex Stahl <alex@PIXAR.COM>
Subject: lgate: bug or feature?

The help file for lgate says:

"When using many "gates" in an application to control the flow of notes or
other data, speed may be compromised by the fact that a regular gate does a
"message lookup" every time data must be passed through it. This lookup can
be avoided by using the "optimized gates" for the correct type of data that
is being passed through it: "bgate" for bangs, "igate" for ints, "fgate"
for floats, "sgate" for symbols, and "lgate" for lists. These do not need
to do a message lookup, since they only deal with one data type."

Sounds good, so I replaced some gates with lgates in a patch I was
optimizing, but instead of efficiency I got stack overflows. I've included
a little example below. Either there's a bug in lgate, or I was trying to
do something incorrectly in the first place. Does anyone know?

thanks,

#P connect 10 0 12 0;
#P connect 16 0 17 0;
#P pop;

Date:Mon, 31 May 1999 21:23:35 -0400
From:David Ralley <ralley@INFINET.COM>
Subject: fft/ifft MSP question

Hi all....I'm a first time caller here, so be patient.

I'm trying to construct a fft filter, but can't figure out
which object I can use to access the fft bins, so I can
modify the analysis before doing resynthesis. I'm sure it's
something obvious, so please enlighten me. How is this
done?

David

Date:Mon, 31 May 1999 22:12:57 -0400
From:Stephen Kay <sk@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject: lgate: bug or feature?

Alex Stahl:
>Either there's a bug in lgate, or I was trying to
>do something incorrectly in the first place.

Looks like a bug to me. Or at least some sort of peculiar
behaviour that should be inhibited. I'll check it out tomorrow
and post a fix ASAP.

BTW, I love bug reports like this. So easy to see what problem
the user has experienced ;-)So easy to test and fix.

Stephen Kay

End of MAX Digest - 30 May 1999 to 31 May 1999 (#1999-163)
**********************************************************