Subject: MAX Digest - 24 May 1999 to 25 May 1999 (#1999-157)
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 00:00:05 -0400

1. Mac Vs PC (is the Mac system becoming more and more unstable?)
  2. buffersize and multiple read
  3. ambisonics
  4. Sound positioning
  5. Mac vs. PC (2)
  6. Multiple use of groove~ & buffer~ (2)
  7. ADRESS FOR DOWNLOADING ?
  8. Max list CD updater
  9. sensors

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1999 23:46:13 +0000
From:    Pablo Silva
Subject: Re: Mac Vs PC (is the Mac system becoming more and more unstable?)

JohnBrit@AOL.COM wrote:

> Well,
> As a fifteen year Mac User I reluctantly bought a 233MHz Pentium as much
of
> the programming software that I use is written in the Orient and they
don't
> really know what a Mac looks like there.  The plusses are - peripherals
half
> the price, ten times as much software available, IT HAS BEEN ON FOR EIGHT
> MONTHS AND HAS NEVER CRASHED. I think the Windows OS stinks but I've got
to
> say that if I was on a computer controlled life support system I'd feel a
lot
> safer with the PC.

Which brings me out from my long silence to ask the users in this list
whether they share my gut feeling that the MacOS is becoming more and
more unstable with the more recent versions? I remember things becoming
steadily worse after version 7.5... And I've tried all kinds of things,
but at the studios here I see an overabundance of crashes and weird
problems, even sometimes after reinstalling, changing disk drivers, and
all kinds of starting-from-zero procedures. And then we have to deal
with Netscape... which is totally incompatible with MAX and OMS in my
experience.

Of course I could chalk it all up to my ignorance, but...

Thanks

Pablo Silva

Date:    Tue, 25 May 1999 10:54:28 +0200
From:    Manfred Karrer
Subject: buffersize and multiple read

--------------C889285CAEA3012826E5C7E6
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; x-mac-type="54455854";
x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Roland Cahen & Ruth Sefton-Green wrote:

>By the way :
>How can one load 8 buffer~ all at the same time, when one doesn't know
the
>name of the sound in advance ? (whithout repeating 8 times the
selection)

Alex Stahl wrote:

Yes, I have the same question but I don't think it is currently
possible.
It would be nice if a 'read' message connected to multiple buffer~s,
somehow magically brought up just one file selection dialog.

...and Arne Eigenfeldt  wrote:

Is there any way to message buffer~ to find out the length of a file
loaded
into it (other than double clicking on buffer~ itself and reading the
numbers on top)?

info~ is an object to view buffersize and name and can be used for
"forwarding"the read/replace message. see it in the following patch.

cheers

#P newex 63 142 99 196617 info~ sf1;
#P message 78 93 41 196617 replace;
#P flonum 135 238 63 12 0 0 0 3;
#P comment 200 241 20 196617 ms;
#P comment 86 32 61 196617 the one and only "open" message;
#P comment 176 38 100 196617 the place of the soundfiles must be
definated in the filepatch --> replace resizes the buffersize;
#P comment 117 92 61 196622 ------>;

--------------C889285CAEA3012826E5C7E6
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Roland Cahen & Ruth Sefton-Green wrote:

>By the way :
>How can one load 8 buffer~ all at the same time, when one doesn't know the
>name of the sound in advance ? (whithout repeating 8 times the selection)

Alex Stahl wrote:

Yes, I have the same question but I don't think it is currently possible.
It would be nice if a 'read' message connected to multiple buffer~s,
somehow magically brought up just one file selection dialog.

...and Arne Eigenfeldt  wrote:

Is there any way to message buffer~ to find out the length of a file loaded
into it (other than double clicking on buffer~ itself and reading the
numbers on top)?

info~ is an object to view buffersize and name and can be used for  "forwarding"the read/replace message. see it in the following patch.

cheers

#P newex 48 70 40 196617 t b b b;
#P newex 63 142 99 196617 info~ sf1;
#P message 78 93 41 196617 replace;
#P flonum 135 238 63 12 0 0 0 3;
#P comment 200 241 20 196617 ms;
#P comment 86 32 61 196617 the one and only "open" message;
#P comment 176 38 100 196617 the place of the soundfiles must be definated in the filepatch --> replace resizes the buffersize;
#P comment 117 92 61 196622 ------>;
#P connect 7 1 6 0;
#P connect 7 2 5 0;
#P fasten 7 0 13 0 53 190 152 190;
#P connect 6 6 4 0;
#P connect 6 7 12 0;
#P connect 12 0 13 0;
#P connect 5 0 8 0;
#P connect 9 0 7 0;
#P connect 13 0 11 0;
#P pop; --------------C889285CAEA3012826E5C7E6-- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 12:00:41 +0100 From: Lawrence Casserley Subject: ambisonics Tim Boykett wrote: >Several months ago there was a spate of discussion about >MIDI controlled crosspoint mixers, and in the midst of it all >someone referred to a paper about algorithms for the placement >of sound in multispeaker environments. As far as I remember >it was in the Computer Music Journal or somesuch. As you >can tell, my filing system has gone astray and I can't find >the reference anymore. Could someone help me with a pointer >to the article? Or even better, with a copy of the article >since I am between a technical uni and a hard place - no >computer music journals within easy-ish reach. That was quite likely me, as I often quote this ref: CMJ Vol 19 No 4 - Winter 1995 David G. Malham and Anthony Myatt, "3-D sound Spatialisation using Ambisonic Techniques". I would rather not furnish the article myself, as I do not know the copyright implications. I suggest you contact Dave at: dgm2@unix.yor.ac.uk. Best Lawrence Casserley -- Lawrence Electronic Operations - Tel +44 1494 481381 - FAX +44 1494 481454 Signal Processing for Contemporary Music - email leo@chiltern.demon.co.uk http://www.chiltern.demon.co.uk ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 07:59:31 -0600 From: Kevin Walker Subject: Re: Sound positioning >Hello Maxers, > >Several months ago there was a spate of discussion about >MIDI controlled crosspoint mixers, and in the midst of it all >someone referred to a paper about algorithms for the placement >of sound in multispeaker environments. As far as I remember >it was in the Computer Music Journal or somesuch. As you >can tell, my filing system has gone astray and I can't find >the reference anymore. Could someone help me with a pointer >to the article? Or even better, with a copy of the article >since I am between a technical uni and a hard place - no >computer music journals within easy-ish reach. There's a fairly detailed discussion of this in: Elements of Computer Music F. Richard Moore Prentice Hall, 1990 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 08:32:01 -0700 From: Jaime Heilpern Subject: Mac vs. PC I used a Mac for many years and I still use it for Max. I was a snobby Mac user until I started working for a company that makes software for the PC only. I'm the QA guy so I'm always configuring hardware and trying to break things as well as seeing some tech support. The Windows OS is a very solid operating system. Bad citizen apps on the PC are less likely to bring the entire machine down than on a Mac. The biggest problem I see with PCs is the fact it is a very heterogeneous system. 5 different makers for five different components can cause grief, Device Manger hell. If you want to buy a PC and you are kinda new to them, buy one from someone who will give you more warranties and tech support than you think you will ever need. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 12:55:02 -0000 From: Kurt Ralske Subject: Re: Multiple use of groove~ & buffer~ >At 12:39 PM -0700 5/14/99, Roland Cahen & Ruth Sefton-Green wrote: > >>By the way : >>How can one load 8 buffer~ all at the same time, when one doesn't know the >>name of the sound in advance ? (whithout repeating 8 times the selection) > > >Yes, I have the same question but I don't think it is currently possible. >It would be nice if a 'read' message connected to multiple buffer~s, >somehow magically brought up just one file selection dialog. I often need >to load two buffers with the same file (yes, it's a hack and a waste of >memory but it is part of the only truly glitch-free varispeed delay-loop >patch I've seen). The solution I've come up with is to preload lots of buffer~s... one for every sound you _might_ want. You can use the soundfile name as an argument in the buffer~. Then all the files will load automatically when you load the patch. Of course you'll need lots of RAM and may need to increase the memory requirement for MAX. Kurt Ralske ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 19:04:28 +0000 From: philippe Subject: ADRESS FOR DOWNLOADING ? COULD SOMEBODY GIVE ME THE ADRESS FOR DOWNLOADING THE LAST VERSION OF MAX (I LOST IT!!). THANKS ********************** philippe monvaillier http://www.cicv.fr/netwalk audiocre@infonie.fr ********************** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 10:26:53 -0700 From: Matt Wright Subject: Re: Multiple use of groove~ & buffer~ At 12:39 PM -0700 5/14/99, Roland Cahen & Ruth Sefton-Green wrote: >By the way : >How can one load 8 buffer~ all at the same time, when one doesn't know the >name of the sound in advance ? (whithout repeating 8 times the selection) Um, off the top of my head: "read" into the first buffer bang info~ and get the name of the file you just read (8th outlet) "prepend read" and pass the result to the other seven -Matt ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 13:39:27 -0400 From: Christopher Murtagh Subject: Re: Mac vs. PC On Tue, 25 May 1999, Jaime Heilpern wrote: > The Windows OS is a very solid operating system. Bad citizen apps on > the PC are less likely to bring the entire machine down than on a Mac. At the risk of this draging into a holy war, here is my experience on this. At work I sit behind a Windoze machine all day. A HP PII/266. The only apps I run on it are: Netscape, Ms-Office, Photoshop and the mail client that comes with the network package (Banyan VINES). My machine crashes, or keyboard dies frequently. At home, I have 5 iMacs, 1 G3 All-in-one, 1 7100 and a IIfx. Most of them are simply running Ms-Office, Internet Explorer 4.5, and File Maker pro. And they maybe crash once a day... maybe. My main machine, a beige G3 is a bit different. On it I run ProTools, AudioDesk, PeakLE, BBEdit along with the other standard apps. I think it might have crashed once a week (except for a slight bug with BBEdit). Once I installed Max/MSP on it however, I have had a few problems (which can be expected with this type of software). I wouldn't even want to try to install something like MAX on a PC. Egad! The second half of your statement, I do agree with however (bad citizen apps). Once Apple finaly gets their act together and puts out a real OS (ie REAL multitasking, protected memory) like they have been promising, I think things will change. The biggest problem I have seen with the PC platform is that there aren't any real hardware standards. Like you also mentioned in your post, this can be a real nightmare for device drivers etc. as well as creat all kinds of conflicts. There are also soooo many things in Windoze that are just annoying (check out O'Reilly's 'Windows Annoyances' books), that dealing with the OS isn't anywhere near as transparent as MacOS. Also, from what I have seen MacOS 8.6 is by far the stablest version I have seen. So I don't know why someone had posted that they though from 7.5.5 on things were getting worse (especially since 7.6.1 was MUCH better than 7.5.5). Anyway, just my $0.02, but then again I'll be the first to admit I'm biased. (proof: http://www.music.mcgill.ca/max/daw-mac-cd/about.html) Cheers, Chris ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 14:36:48 -0400 From: Christopher Murtagh Subject: Max list CD updater Greetings Maxers, I have just found out from the manufacturers that there will be a slight delay in the MAX list CD. I was expecting a phone call today telling me they are ready, but instead they said there was a problem with my master CD-R (scratch) and that they need me to make another. I'll be sending it tomorrow priority postage (next day delivery). When I get confirmation or a decent estimate on when they will be ready, I will post the expected arrival date to the list. By late this week I hope to have postage costs to most places I can think of where someone would want the CD and I'll post them on the web. More info to come tomorrow. Cheers, Chris P.S. Don't worry, it isn't too late to order a CD. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 19:01:16 -0400 From: Jeff Mann Subject: Re: sensors Hi - I've been using a Basic Stamp II ($49 US www.parallaxinc.com) with an Analog Devices serial A-D chip ADC0838 (~$10 US www.digikey.com). This gives you 8 channels of 8-bit A-D (for 7-bit MIDI controller data). Very easy to construct and program. You could add multiple ADCs to the Stamp. You could also use the 12-bit version of the A-D chip and use 14-bit controllers or sysex, etc. I've put some example code of how to do MIDI with the Stamp at http://www.interaccess.org/arg/arg-knowledge/MIDI.BS2 and you can find example code for the ADC0838/Stamp elsewhere on the net (I'll post mine one of these days...)