Subject: MAX Digest - 24 Oct 1998 to 25 Oct 1998 (#1998-49)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 00:00:02 -0500

2. c'080-
  3. Type -39 (2)
  4. beat tracking and type -39
  5. aesend-aereceive & Max 3.5.9
  6. MAX Digest - 22 Oct 1998 to 23 Oct 1998 (#1998-47)

Email to MAX should now be sent to MAX@lists.mcgill.ca
LISTSERV commands should be sent to listserv@lists.mcgill.ca
Information is available on the WEB at http://www.mcgill.ca/cc/listserv

Date:    Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:27 -0500

kor
ekt.
sol
ut!on = re!nztall max az !t haz b!n
- z
makd

>This might suggest that your file directory system has been corrupted
>and is in need of Norton Disk Doctor.  If this is the case, simply
>copying another copy of Max on top of the old one is not likely to
>produce any change.

max = zmakd.

>Or it might not be the copy of Max.  Perhaps the Preferences are
>damaged, and when Max tries to open, it gets an eofErr.  I'd try
>Norton Utilities and trashing the Preferences, to start with.

max = zmakd.

[opn max !n rezed!t 2 konf!rm damage]

repet!t!on teachez humanz

\\ humanszukc++

Date:    Sun, 25 Oct 1998 13:25:07 +0200
From:    filip
Subject: Type -39

> Perhaps the Preferences are
> damaged, and when Max tries to open, it gets an eofErr.  I'd try
> Norton Utilities and trashing the Preferences, to start with.
> Stephen Kay

puhh, never run norton on HFS+ formatted harddiscs!!!!
you will lose all data!
klaus

Date:    Sun, 25 Oct 1998 10:35:27 -0500
From:    Stephen Kay
Subject: Type -39

>> Perhaps the Preferences are
>> damaged, and when Max tries to open, it gets an eofErr.  I'd try
>> Norton Utilities and trashing the Preferences, to start with.
>> Stephen Kay

>  puhh, never run norton on HFS+ formatted harddiscs!!!!
>you will lose all data!
>klaus

Duh, of course!  Who said anything about HFS?  Besides, a new
version of Norton is coming for HFS.

Date:    Sun, 25 Oct 1998 12:14:17 -0500
From:    Shamus Jary Mcconney
Subject: Re: beat tracking and type -39

There is a MSP port of Miller's bonk~ object avable.  It is a percussion
tracking object.  There is a link the distrubution site on my
Pd/MSP/Max-FTS page.(The URL is below)

I don't know what caused the -39 error but have seen it befor with 3.5.9.
When it happened to me I noticed that the size of the Max app file
appeared to be 0 bytes.  I ended up saving all of my patchs and
abstraction and trashing my hole Max folder and preffs and reinstalling.
An ugly soultion but it worked, resetting perfs for two days was anoying.

Shamus McConney

mcconney@nwe.ufl.edu

Date:    Sun, 25 Oct 1998 23:23:30 +0100
From:    Pavel Smetana
Subject: aesend-aereceive & Max 3.5.9

Hello !

I had a big problems with aesend-aereceive objects (Zicarelli externals
obj.) , when I used it in MAX 3.5.9 (external) and I only started help file
for testing everithing crashed many times.
I used the last FAT version of this objects. When I have try 68K version of
this objects in the old MAX 3.0 in the same computer ( MAC PPC 4 400/ 200
Mhz _ 64 MB _ System 7.5) everithing works OK.

Maybe David Z. knows What's a problem?

Pavel

================================================================================
=

Pavel Smetana

................................................................................
mob: +420 (0)602 270 009
e-mail : ps@cicv.fr
Web: http://www.cicv.fr/pavel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|CIANT  - Mezinárodní centrum pro umení a nové technologie v Praze
|       - Centre international d'art et des nouvelles technologies à Prague
|       - International Center for Art and New Technologies in Prague
|                                               Kubelíkova 27
|                                               130 00  Praha  3
|                                               Rép. Tchèque - Czech Rep.
|                                               tel: +420 (0)2 22 72 11 80
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
=

Date:    Sun, 25 Oct 1998 20:07:36 -0000
From:    Kurt Ralske
Subject: Re: MAX Digest - 22 Oct 1998 to 23 Oct 1998 (#1998-47)

>Date:    Fri, 23 Oct 1998 15:39:23 +0100
>From:    david stevens
>Subject: frequency divider
>hi all,
>I'm finding that the source sound that I'm running through my filter banks
>instrument doesn't seem to have enough low frequency energy to create a
>sub-bass
>tone. It occurs to me that perhaps I can run the filter that I'm using to
>create
>the subbass sound an octave higher, and then use a frequency divider to
>drop the
>pitch of the sound back down an octave.
>so - is this possible with MSP, would it be very processor intensive (the
>filter
>banks are using around 80% at the moment, so there's not a lot of leeway),
>and -
>how do i do it!?
>thanks in advance
>david

Hi David,

sorry to be again coming up with an oblique non-answer to your question,
but i can't help but wonder if the problem might not be your
definition of 'sub-bass tone' and 'low-frequency energy'.

1) perhaps the problem is with your monitoring. if you're trying to pump
a big old 40Hz sine wave thru Yamaha NS-10s, you might not hear
much of anything! and if (god forbid) you're using the speaker in your
computer, you have no information at all about what's happening below
about 150Hz.

2) the perception of "a powerful low end" is not necessarily the same
thing as "lots of low-frequency energy". the fundamental harmonic of
a bass tone might be down below 100Hz, but it's the higher harmonics
that create the perception of 'fullness' or 'warmth' (and allow us
to identify the pitch). if you have too much very low stuff and not
enough higher harmonics, your amp and speakers will be working
very hard to achieve very little effect.

basically i suspect that by using lots of filtering, you could be
knocking out frequencies that aid the perception of power and loudness.
try allowing some 300-400Hz or some 800Hz-1.1kHz thru, and see if that
helps.

(obliquely) yours,
Kurt

End of MAX Digest - 24 Oct 1998 to 25 Oct 1998 (#1998-49)
*********************************************************