Wed 12:00 AM
Subject: MAX Digest - 3 Nov 1997 to 4 Nov
1997To: Recipients of MAX digests

1. QTMA (2)
  2. MAX Digest - 2 Nov 1997 to 3 Nov 1997
  3. movie, imovie and multiple serial ports on a Powerbook
  4. mouseloc with an external
  5. tx 81z sysex messages??
  6. QTMA (loop points)

Date:    Tue, 4 Nov 1997 08:44:43 +0100
From:    "Dr. K@rlheinz Essl"
Subject: Re: QTMA

Dear MAXers!

I am glad that the discussions about QTMA has been brought up again,
because I think it is very powerful feature that allows the composer to
build a customized database of sounds which can be easily accessed by MAX.

Does anybody out there know whether there are other sets of sounds (like
the well-known "Quicktime Musical Instruments") available. I am especially
interested in a good piano sound (which the Yamaha MIDIPlug provides -
unfortunately it does only work as a Netscape-PlugIn). And I am also
interested in percussion sounds.

Greetings, and - Happy MAXin'

Dr. K@rlheinz Essl
SAMT - Studio for Advanced Music & Media Technology
Bruckner-Konservatorium Linz / Austria
www:   http://www.ping.at/users/essl/index.html

________________________________________________________________________
     Visit the MindShipMind - an interactive multimedial Web Oracle
________________________________________________________________________

Date:    Tue, 4 Nov 1997 09:09:10 +0100
From:    "Dr. K@rlheinz Essl"
Subject: Re: QTMA

I just found an interesting site dedictad to the "Quicktime Music
Architecture" with lots of informations and instructions:

Dr. K@rlheinz Essl
SAMT - Studio for Advanced Music & Media Technology
Bruckner-Konservatorium Linz / Austria
www:   http://www.ping.at/users/essl/index.html

________________________________________________________________________
     Visit the MindShipMind - an interactive multimedial Web Oracle
________________________________________________________________________

Date:    Tue, 4 Nov 1997 06:26:59 -0600
From:    otto fajen
Subject: Re: MAX Digest - 2 Nov 1997 to 3 Nov 1997

>> however, in the setup screen, the studio 4 is identified not as
>> "studio 4-2 cables" as per the manual, but something like "studio 4
>> modem/printer".
>...which, I think, means it's running on one cable (on the machine's
>"Modem/Printer" serial port). It might well be that the performance is
>such that you can't immediately tell.

that's possible, nick, i suppose.  however, the setup still calls on me to
designate which port is to be used for mtc and for each midi unit.

>*I'm* just thankful that I'm running with ancient versions of
>everything under OMS 1.2.3...

if i could have gotten things to reinstall and work under 1.2.3, i would
have shipped the new stuff back the same day.  does anyone happen to know
if av controls works under oms 1.2.3?

otto

Date:    Mon, 3 Nov 1997 08:59:11 -0400
From:    Michael Sweet
Subject: Re: movie, imovie and multiple serial ports on a Powerbook

>Are there any options for having two serial ports on a Powerbook?

The Keyspan board does not currently support midi (I think) but will
support many other serial devices (i.e. gloves, modems, laserdisc players).
But when I was looking around their web site there may be a software patch
to get this to work.  I assume a duo-dock would support the card though.

Try checking if there is a serial expansion board that fits into a PC card
slot.

>Jeff Krieger wrote:
>>Getting rid of the scroll bars and going fullscreen is impossible using
>>imovie.  Consistent crashes on a 5300.
>Evreryone I know gets consistent crashes using imovie with big files.
>The new version of movie would do well to permit knocking of the title and
>scroll bars and permit positioning outside the limits of the screen on
>which it's running. For example, writing patch at home, using one screen at
>600x800, I would like to set up a concert situation in which the control
>monitor is set to 640x480 and the display monitor (which is actually a
>video projector, also set to 640x480) is placed underneath the control
>monitor in the monitors and sound control box. The new version of movie
>won't cut this.
>Jeff Burns

This may be a solution although I haven't tried it and it only works if you
are using two monitors.

Position your second monitor using the monitors control panel on the right
but above the main monitor.  Using the new movie object that David Z just
posted save the movie in the top part of your second monitor.  Now, quit
max - open your monitor control panel again and move second monitor
downward a little bit.  If you open your max patch again it should cut off
the top part of your movie.  You may have to have your main window in the
normal screen and your patcher object inside it.  Now make your quicktime
movie too big and resize your second monitor.

I've discovered this when using two monitors and after I repositioned the
second monitor I couldn't have access to moving windows around.

--Michael Sweet

Date:    Wed, 5 Nov 1997 00:29:31 +0000
From:    Jean Favory
Subject: mouseloc with an external

--------------english--------------

I need making an external object wich will output the cursor=20
coordinates when it is over it, even if there is no mouse click, and=20
only when it is over it. The graphique interface of this object  is a=20
resizable rectangle.
I haven't much time and I haven't a clear idea of how doing that.=20
Does the "wind_drag" routine works without the mouse button goes down?
If instead of "wind_drag" I use a loop like:

do{
        GetMouse(&point);
        /* all I have to do:=20
                                Check if the mouse is inside my object.
                                If it is inside, output the coordinates of
the location=20
                                of the mouse=8A
                                etc=8A
} while(something());

do I monopolize the processor making impossible to do something else=20
in my patcher? How works the scheduler in this case?
Should I use a Qelem routine?
And a clock routine?

In fact this object works very like the "MouseState" one with the=20
"poll" message, except it sends out the current coordinates of the=20
location of the mouse only when it is on it.

Thank you for your help.

Jean.

-----------fran=E7ais-----------

Je cherche =E0 r=E9aliser un objet externe qui retourne les coordonn=E9es=
 de=20
la souris quand elle se trouve sur lui sans qu'il soit n=E9cessaire de=20
cliquer. L'interface graphique de cet objet est un rectangle=20
redimensionable.
Avez-vous une id=E9e de la fa=E7on de s'y prendre, car je ne vois pas=20
pr=E9cis=E9ment comment le faire et je n'ai pas beaucoup de temps?

Est-ce que la routine "wind_drag" fonctionne sans clic de souris?
Dans le cas contraire, si j'utilise une boucle du style:

do{
        GetMouse(&point);
        /*=20
                ici je v=E9rifie si la souris est dans mon objet et si oui
j'envoie
        ses coordon=E9es=8Aetc=8A
} while(quelquechose());

est-ce que je monopolise le processeur rendant impossible toute autre=20
t=E2che dans mon patcher? Comment fonctionne l'ordonnanceur dans ce cas?
Ais-je int=E9r=EAt =E0 utiliser une "clock routine"?

Ce que je cherche =E0 faire ressemble =E0 l'objet "MouseState" avec le=20
message "poll", =E0 la diff=E9rence que le le mien ne doit envoyer les=20
valeurs des coordonn=E9es de la souris qu'uniquement lorsque celle-ci=20
passe sur lui.

Merci par avance de votre aide.

Jean.

--=20

Date:    Tue, 4 Nov 1997 17:00:59 -0800
From:    Peter Nyboer
Subject: tx 81z sysex messages??

Does anyone have a Max-based editor for the yamaha tx81z or at least a few
of the sysex messages?  I would like to be able to change some of the
parameters on the fly in a composition....

Peter.

Peter Nyboer
pnyboer@ucla.edu
home of Slambassador multimedia gallery--
including a full album of music!
"a cellular phone, pepper spray, and maybe even a Smith and Wesson"--SUV
Driver, on safety needs

Date:    Tue, 4 Nov 1997 22:13:38 -0500
From:    Taylor Brady
Subject: Re: QTMA (loop points)

--------------3BC81A063B561FF7FB159904
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; x-mac-type="54455854";
 x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

In addition to SoundEdit, there's a shareware program called DSound-Pro
that allows the setting of loop points.

Peter Nyboer wrote:

I realized that I used Macromedia's SoundEdit 16 to set the loop points
in
the AIFF file--out of curiosity, does anyone else know of other software

that does this??

--------------3BC81A063B561FF7FB159904
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

In addition to SoundEdit, there's a shareware program called DSound-Pro
that allows the setting of loop points.

Peter Nyboer wrote:

I realized that I used Macromedia's SoundEdit 16 to set the loop
points in

the AIFF file--out of curiosity, does anyone else know of other
software

that does this??

--------------3BC81A063B561FF7FB159904-- ------------------------------ End of MAX Digest - 3 Nov 1997 to 4 Nov 1997 ********************************************