From:
                                                            10/7/97 11:00 PM
Subject: MAX Digest - 6 Oct 1997 to 7 Oct
1997To: Recipients of MAX digests 

There are 5 messages totalling 143 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. MAX Digest - 5 Oct 1997 to 6 Oct 1997
  2. eMagic
  3. Max abroad
  4. more ichi aiff questions
  5. more ichi questions correction

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 7 Oct 1997 00:23:32 -0400
From:    BP 
Subject: Re: MAX Digest - 5 Oct 1997 to 6 Oct 1997

PLEASE@!!

CANCEL MY SUSBCRIPTION TO THIS LIST!!!
Thank yoU!
BPASTRANA

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 7 Oct 1997 10:33:50 +0200
From:    Dominique David 
Subject: Re: eMagic

> I'm wondering if any MAX users have used the eMagic products, specifically
> Logic Audio and/or SoundDiver.  I've talked to one person about these
> programs and he stands by them, but everyone else seems to use Performer
> and Vision.  I also checked out their website and it looks pretty slick.
> Any comments on these products and any reasons why more people don't use
> them?  I trust the judgement of the people on this list due to their
> higher level of reason.
>
> --darin

Hello Darin

Just to say that I have been using eMagic sequencers for years, with a high
level of satisfaction. I have noticed extremely few crash problems (even
with
audio versions) with that program, and this remains true as successive
versions
appear. Concerning ergonomic (hum, do you say ergonomic in english? - I mean
man
machine interface) aspects, my opinion is that you will prefer such or such
program depending on your way to compose - clearly, there is no absolute
choice
in sequencers.

If you have precise questions on some aspects of Logic Audio, don't hesitate
to
post them at my email hereunder.

Dominique David
dominique.david@cea.fr

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 7 Oct 1997 13:17:07 -0600
From:    Pablo Silva 
Subject: Max abroad

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Jan Larsson wrote
>
>Is there some kind of problem distributing Max outside US?
>

We have some weird problems with distributors in Mexico too. Attributable
to Mexican customs sometimes, others to sheer ineptitude...

Upgrades to MAX seem to be trouble all over the world, to judge from what I
hear on this list. Could we perhaps do something as a group of users to try
and convince Opcode to correct this situation?

Pablo Silva
Coordinator, Electronic Music Lab
Escuela Nacional de Musica, UNAM, Mexico

hpsilva@servidor.unam.mx
______________________________________________________________________

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 7 Oct 1997 12:00:18 -0700
From:    Peter Nyboer 
Subject: more ichi aiff questions

>I have a few question concerning the aiff object:
>Can I have multiple aiff objects, each associated with different file, in
>the same patch, playing together? - If so, how do I handle sound
>channels? - What is the limit, cpu power, RAM, file size...? (do the
>files load into RAM or read from disk?)
>How are stereo aiff files handled, is there a way to control volume on
>left-right separately?

GIL:
I have been playing around with aiff and trying to push my 7100/80 24MegRAM
PPC to find some of these things out.  I have been able to play 3 stereo
files at the same time (I have yet to try more), but things do get quite
cranky when I go about opening other things, or try to edit a patch when
all this stuff is playing.  Also, it doesn't seem to be possible to control
panning in anyway, based on the list of messages in the help patch.

ICHI:
Right now, the issue of main concern to me is loops.  The loop feature of
aiff seems pretty inadequate, and I don't know if this is due to Max or
aiff.  I created a few files to be looped in Sound Edit 16, where they
looped seamlessly.  When looping from aiff in Max, there is a delay from
end to start, throwing off the all-important rhythm.  It doesn't seem to
matter if it is a stereo file or mono file, big or small.  Since SE16 plays
the loops fine, I don't think it is my HD (which is a decently fast AV
drive that has no problem with multi-tracking in ProTools or Deck).  It
also seems that the HD isn't being read from when the file loops, so that
indicates that the file is loaded into memory.  I tried messing around with
the buffer size, but if I go only 1 byte over the default (32768), I get a
memory error -108, which seems a bit strange.  I would think that I have at
least *1* byte free!
Also, what do csnd and usnd do??  The help patch doesn't seem to help me
figure this out...

Peter.

Peter Nyboer
pnyboer@ucla.edu
http://128.97.119.66
home of Slambassador multimedia gallery
"This is a fictional story with mostly facts in it."

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 7 Oct 1997 12:37:03 -0700
From:    Peter Nyboer 
Subject: more ichi questions correction

Earlier, I wrote:
>It also seems that the HD isn't being read from when the file loops, so
>that indicates that the file is loaded into >memory.

Wrong.  Sorry, HD is read from.  Very much so.

I also wrote:
>I have been able to play 3 stereo files at the same time

Those were mono files.  Sorry.

Peter

Peter Nyboer
pnyboer@ucla.edu
http://128.97.119.66
home of Slambassador multimedia gallery
"This is a fictional story with mostly facts in it."

------------------------------

End of MAX Digest - 6 Oct 1997 to 7 Oct 1997
********************************************